3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AFE and K&N

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFE and K&N

I read this multiple times to stay away from an oil based K&N filter. From what I understand the oil from the filter can collect on the turbo vane making it off balance and causing turbo issues later on.

If this is true then why do people have NO problem with the AFE filter setup which also has an oil based air filter?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running a S&B and no problems... IMO k&n filter media is to thin and allows dirt through. You can do a search and see others who have switched... or go to the S&B site and see the ISO testing they have done.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTackle
I read this multiple times to stay away from an oil based K&N filter. From what I understand the oil from the filter can collect on the turbo vane making it off balance and causing turbo issues later on.

If this is true then why do people have NO problem with the AFE filter setup which also has an oil based air filter?
Nothing wrong per se with the oil based filter. The problem you describe above can happen with ANY oil based filter if the user puts TOO MUCH oil on the filter.

What is said above about the K&N being thin (how they achieve their airflow) is true. I avoid K&N because of the dirt they let by; not because of the oil.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTackle

I believe the issue some people were referring to was that the K&N filters were coming over-oiled from the factory... once cleaned and re-oiled properly they were not seeing oil deposits on the turbo vane - so as stated by Soulezoo - it is not oil filters per say - but the amount of oil....