3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

500hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last question how much boost can i run before needing those studs?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Local 2598 myself.

As a general rule 45-50 lbs is where you need to start looking at them. That said some guys retorque the stock head bolts with good success, but for the money I would do studs.
You won't need studs till you add the fuel, I'm seeing about 45lbs max with stock sticks. Turbos good to low 50s but I don't have the fuel yet and I'm not worried about it. I'm not touching perfectly good running injectors till they give me an issue. Then I will spring and stud her when I go in to add sticks. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM

A bone stock Dmax with trans/tune/LP/sleeves can do 550 rwhp easy and turn high 7's in the 1/8, low 12's in the 1/4. If they have twins/sticks, they are probably making around 700 rwhp. With twins and enough pump to necessitate new sticks on a Dmax, the only thing holding them back is the stock rods which can shorten at 700 rwhp, but many have held it. Your buddies most likely have some legit 11 second trucks, do you'll need to invest some serious cash in your truck to keep up. Thing you must remember is this, if they have the mods you say they have, then they have some SERIOUS money in those trucks (like $10k in turbos/injectors) so you aren't going to catch them easy. Good news is you can get a Cummins there much easier/cheaper and your motor should be much more reliable at that power level.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Yeah I was thinking around 650hp, but your probably right on with 700. I just didn't think their rods could hold at that power level. And yes they did drop that much cash. Big dipped trans level 4. Intercooler efi, injectors, and twins. I haven't seen them run them yet. I don't have cash like them so it'll take me some time. But I have faith in the old cummins.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ARbowhunter7
A bone stock Dmax with trans/tune/LP/sleeves can do 550 rwhp easy and turn high 7's in the 1/8, low 12's in the 1/4. If they have twins/sticks, they are probably making around 700 rwhp. With twins and enough pump to necessitate new sticks on a Dmax, the only thing holding them back is the stock rods which can shorten at 700 rwhp, but many have held it. Your buddies most likely have some legit 11 second trucks, do you'll need to invest some serious cash in your truck to keep up. Thing you must remember is this, if they have the mods you say they have, then they have some SERIOUS money in those trucks (like $10k in turbos/injectors) so you aren't going to catch them easy. Good news is you can get a Cummins there much easier/cheaper and your motor should be much more reliable at that power level.
-------------------------------------------------
No offense to you or anything but I have seen the rods on MANY Duramax Engines FAIL at alot less than 700 H.P.! Like 550-600 H.P. and two more at about 500 H.P.! IMHO,....they are very weak and IF I owned a Duramax
I would not run one hard without a set of billet rods.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
-------------------------------------------------
No offense to you or anything but I have seen the rods on MANY Duramax Engines FAIL at alot less than 700 H.P.! Like 550-600 H.P. and two more at about 500 H.P.! IMHO,....they are very weak and IF I owned a Duramax
I would not run one hard without a set of billet rods.
You are absolutely right. I have owned two competitive 2.6 Dmax (LB7 and LBZ) trucks and I would not think about pushing a Dmax over 600 rwhp with OEM rods. There are many who have survived multiple seasons making 700+ to the tires on stock rods, though. Travis Johnson (BullfrogJohnson in the forums) is the first guy who comes to mind; he's been pushing 760 rwhp for four seasons with thousands of street miles and multiple 1/4 passes. He just noticed a low cylinder at the end of last season.

Like you said though, you absolutely cannot count on a Dmax bottom end to hold that much power in stock form, but there are those who have done it. I have also seen Dmax trucks shorten rods at 550 rwhp.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 AM

looks like your getting all the info your going to need here this is going to be a great running truck when you work everything out, my only question is do you tow? or want to pull, or want to do 1/4 or 1/8 mile runs with this thing? or it is a purely street drag and daily truck? because if your going to do any of these things also it may change your setup. and who are you having do your tranny work and what are your plans for the tranny work because if you plan on 600-650 hp then you better build for 750 or better.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Heck of a recipe being thrown out here. Kinda makes me want to go shopping.

I have the same feelings on most of these suggestions:

A built trans and excellent converter are not really optional if you want to play at those levels.

Gauges or some other means of monitoring the madness will be necessary.

Tuning through EFILive is available for the 06 and 07 5.9 motors, so you are in luck.

The 63/68/14 turbos have shown quite a bit of promise and I have been hearing good things for guys using them in the mid 600 HP range.

The 5.9 with EFILive, 50+ hp nozzles on the injectors, and a larger turbo will require fueling upgrades. A "bag of parts" might do it on the CP3, and a heavier duty lift pump/filter arrangement will help too.

If you really just want to embarrass your friends, a Cummins can absorb quite a bit of nitrous before grenading.

The absolute cheapest option for beating them though, would be to put 10K lbs behind both and run a hill climb on the interstate. Make sure you hold a cup out the window though so you can catch their pistons leaking out the exhaust when you drive by. I hear scrap is up again.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM

You know of someone making 650 on fuel with a 63/68/14???!!!! That charger is screaming for help! It's a miracle it hasn't vaporized.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ARbowhunter7
You know of someone making 650 on fuel with a 63/68/14???!!!! That charger is screaming for help! It's a miracle it hasn't vaporized.
Do you have one? Do you know what my built turbo flows? Are you an expert in building chargers like E.D. Or Fleece?

Not trying to be an **** but way too many people talk way too much and have never had the product.

A guy on another site did 632 with 50hp sticks at 1400 wot. 1400 is cooler than these trucks run stock at wot. He only ran one run then turned on his water meth system to try to get more, followed it up with 682 with w/m. He only ran 3 runs 2 with meth. He and his EFI tuner said they had a lot more room on fuel only but he wanted to get max numbers so he turned on the water/ meth.
Several guys are over 600 and a few on a quest for 700. But hey this little 63/68/14 can't handle it I guess.
Guys Fleece put down 700 with the Cheeta turbo that is a worked over Holset 351. Ok heavily worked over .
So pleases don't take my word for it, I mean it's not like I have one or have talked to ED about my goals and hp level and then they built the turbo for me. Guess they don't have a clue.

Oh and my goal is 650 with the quickest turbo that can handle it, and not a BB.

Again I'm not trying to be rude but I've had enough people question me after my install thread on a couple sites. Quite frankly I'm tired of the naysayers. This is not your average Chineese knock off 63/68 you can get from some guys.

Someone send me a cp3 and Exergy sticks with motorsport 100 tips and I will show everyone what a little 63/68/14 can do. Till then I'm broke and have too many kids to have many toys .
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Do you have one? Do you know what my built turbo flows? Are you an expert in building chargers like E.D. Or Fleece?

Not trying to be an **** but way too many people talk way too much and have never had the product.

A guy on another site did 632 with 50hp sticks at 1400 wot. 1400 is cooler than these trucks run stock at wot. He only ran one run then turned on his water meth system to try to get more, followed it up with 682 with w/m. He only ran 3 runs 2 with meth. He and his EFI tuner said they had a lot more room on fuel only but he wanted to get max numbers so he turned on the water/ meth.
Several guys are over 600 and a few on a quest for 700. But hey this little 63/68/14 can't handle it I guess.
Guys Fleece put down 700 with the Cheeta turbo that is a worked over Holset 351. Ok heavily worked over .
So pleases don't take my word for it, I mean it's not like I have one or have talked to ED about my goals and hp level and then they built the turbo for me. Guess they don't have a clue.

Oh and my goal is 650 with the quickest turbo that can handle it, and not a BB.

Again I'm not trying to be rude but I've had enough people question me after my install thread on a couple sites. Quite frankly I'm tired of the naysayers. This is not your average Chineese knock off 63/68 you can get from some guys.

Someone send me a cp3 and Exergy sticks with motorsport 100 tips and I will show everyone what a little 63/68/14 can do. Till then I'm broke and have too many kids to have many toys .
----------------------------------------------
Easy there Rye!!!

You know I respect everything you have done with your truck and I value your opinions and input here on DTR. I don't think Arbowhunter meant to insult you or anything. As you know EVERY truck is different and you can have two diesel trucks with IDENTICAL mods and they will dyno with different numbers.

In my earlier post, I mentioned my 2006 with pretty much STOCK components except what is listed in my signature. With Tim Barbers early "hot" Smarty 4.10 (Beta) my 2006 put down 580 H.P. on Wayne Murphy's "Dynojet 248" in Jacksonville, N.C. Could it do it now? Probably not, as the truck now has over 135,000 miles on it. I can still lay down over 500 H.P. though and the truck is a reliable tow vehicle for my 1996 Dodge CTD Drag Truck and also a great daily driver.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM

I didn't mean to insult anyone, I can be way too straight and to the point sometimes and I come off as rude. I truly don't mean it, and I take no offense to anyone questioning product. After all that's what we are here for.

I think what you will see in the near future especially with EFI becoming more prevalent on trucks is the ability to squeeze much more hp out of smaller turbos and on the flip side the ability to spool and DD much larger turbos. I am not a fan of the latter, I hate lag period.

As far as turbo sizes the game is rapidly changing, due to better turbos,custom turbo builders, and tuning by way of EFI Live. It truly is a game changer.
They are able to get more with less fuel, you don't have to buy big slobbery 200 hp sticks to make power. Heck guys are making 700 with 90s, I never thought I would see the day.

Anyway to the OP their is a ton of ways to make 500-600 hp, it is pretty easy these days. Read up and make some phone calls.

As far as beating your buddies just remember I never tell anyone all the mods on my truck, and someone is always faster.

Good luck, be safe guys, Rye.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
I didn't mean to insult anyone, I can be way too straight and to the point sometimes and I come off as rude. I truly don't mean it, and I take no offense to anyone questioning product. After all that's what we are here for.

I think what you will see in the near future especially with EFI becoming more prevalent on trucks is the ability to squeeze much more hp out of smaller turbos and on the flip side the ability to spool and DD much larger turbos. I am not a fan of the latter, I hate lag period.

As far as turbo sizes the game is rapidly changing, due to better turbos,custom turbo builders, and tuning by way of EFI Live. It truly is a game changer.
They are able to get more with less fuel, you don't have to buy big slobbery 200 hp sticks to make power. Heck guys are making 700 with 90s, I never thought I would see the day.

Anyway to the OP their is a ton of ways to make 500-600 hp, it is pretty easy these days. Read up and make some phone calls.

As far as beating your buddies just remember I never tell anyone all the mods on my truck, and someone is always faster.

Good luck, be safe guys, Rye.
Hahaha, wow bud! I have honestly never seen so many Internet tears shed by such an innocent post. Folks getting all butthurt over the smallest things is what the forums have come do, I guess.

But to answer your question, no I don't build turbos or own a diesel performance shop. I'm a construction worker that likes diesels. Its funny you mention those brands, though, as I have run both Fleece and ED chargers. I ran one of the first consumer built Cheetahs on my LB7 and had many a conversation with Brayden about how it performed on a work truck that pulled on the weekends. He seemed to value my feedback. I also had Chris @ Engineered build and then modify a 2.6 charger within the last couple of months. They both build a great product.

The reason I made the comment (which was NOT directed at you, I had no idea you even existed before you blew up, let alone "questioned your build") was that generally speaking, a 63/68/14 is not built to handle that kind of fuel. BW (and many builders) rate that charger at around 500 hp to the tires. Will it do more? Sure. Can a good turbo company mod it to handle more than that consistently? Absolutely, as I'm sure yours is. BUT...if you were to call Brayden or Chris and ask their opinion on the best single charger to run a solid 650 rwhp on fuel, I guarantee you they won't recommend anything as small as a 63/68/14. At that power (and boost) level, that charger is at the ragged edge (or beyond) its map width, and I'm sure your drive pressure was a mess. Whatever floats your boat, though.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Im not crying nor do I care that anyone knows that I exist as I am a no one, I am not a turbo builder nor a shop owner.

Back in 07 I had a premier truck now I have a sad slow DD. Money, Times, and priorities change.

As far as your comments this charger was built for 600-650, again times and tuning change. This is per Chris whom I bought the turbo from. As far as it being run on the ragged edge I doubt it or why would he recommend it. I am not here talking about my build as I have nothing really built anymore.

I am not here to derail this thread anymore than I already have.

Did I miss me blowing up or having my butt hurt??? Cause I think I did
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Alright fellas,......I think we have debated this turbo issue enough.

For the sake of the OP, let's try to get back on track here.
Thank you!

--------
John_P

Quick Reply: 500hp