3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

500hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500hp

Ok my buddies have dmax's with twins and injectors. Truck scoot pretty good. What do I need motor wise to be able to run with them. Trans getting built next month. Its a daily driver so should I go twin turbos, not really trying to mess with dual cp3's. Im going to get the bag o parts for my cp3 now. What size injectors? or should I go tips? I want to get the power without going crazy on money, I know it will be expensive. When do I have to do studs? I heard 50psi the stock gasket would hold
Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 AM

You want to mess with dmaxs? get a built tranny first and a ecm program.....power weigh ratio...bonehead. Dodge is a heavy truck. Really your buds have twin turbo demaxs? You want to play and ....win.... injectors and a cp3 pump...turbo/x2...cost to spank Can't wait to go to bd dyno days with their stuff/turbo etc, hoping for 450 hp
Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by N.Johnson
You want to mess with dmaxs? get a built tranny first and a ecm program.....power weigh ratio...bonehead. Dodge is a heavy truck. Really your buds have twin turbo demaxs? You want to play and ....win.... injectors and a cp3 pump...turbo/x2...cost to spank Can't wait to go to bd dyno days with their stuff/turbo etc, hoping for 450 hp
I think that Joe asked a fair question, and the only thing boneheaded was the arrogant response.

Joe, sorry bud, I aint up to snuff on 5.9 stuff, but if ya had a 6.7 I could dial you in.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I think that Joe asked a fair question, and the only thing boneheaded was the arrogant response.
'Arrogant' is an understatement. Rude and condescending came to mind right after narcissistic.

I'm not into the performance mods Joe, so I can't be of much help either, but someone will chime in to answer your questions I'm sure. Great bunch of guys here, (usually), with a TON of information to share!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by joebaker82
Ok my buddies have dmax's with twins and injectors. Truck scoot pretty good. What do I need motor wise to be able to run with them. Trans getting built next month. Its a daily driver so should I go twin turbos, not really trying to mess with dual cp3's. Im going to get the bag o parts for my cp3 now. What size injectors? or should I go tips? I want to get the power without going crazy on money, I know it will be expensive. When do I have to do studs? I heard 50psi the stock gasket would hold
---------------------
Blake and Scott,......I agree with you 100% on Mr. Johnson's remarks!

----------------------
Joe:

You do NOT need all those parts you mentioned to make 500 H.P. with a CR 5.9 Dodge. I agree with your decision to upgrade the transmission. You HAVE to do that on ALL the Dodge CTD Pickups though.

For your information, I have a 2006 Dodge CTD CR that has STOCK injectors, a STOCK fuel system, STOCK head studs along with an upgraded 62/12 Schwitzer Turbo, a "Smarty" TNT-R" Programmer "stacked" with a "TST" PM 3
and I can easily get over 500 H.P. by turning the Smarty and TST up to their higher levels! Believe me, it does not take much to build power with the 5.9 CR Cummins Engines. With the newer EFI Live programs you can "custom tune" your truck to get good H.P. also.

Good luck on your build Sir!

-----------
John_P
Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------
Blake and Scott,......I agree with you 100% on Mr. Johnson's remarks!

----------------------
Joe:

You do NOT need all those parts you mentioned to make 500 H.P. with a CR 5.9 Dodge. I agree with your decision to upgrade the transmission. You HAVE to do that on ALL the Dodge CTD Pickups though.

For your information, I have a 2006 Dodge CTD CR that has STOCK injectors, a STOCK fuel system, STOCK head studs along with an upgraded 62/12 Schwitzer Turbo, a "Smarty" TNT-R" Programmer "stacked" with a "TST" PM 3
and I can easily get over 500 H.P. by turning the Smarty and TST up to their higher levels! Believe me, it does not take much to build power with the 5.9 CR Cummins Engines. With the newer EFI Live programs you can "custom tune" your truck to get good H.P. also.

Good luck on your build Sir!

-----------
John_P
Exactly John. Common Rail performance is easy to achieve.

Im not quite sure about the proper sizing of turbos for the 5.9, but my '11 Im running an AirDog, 90hp DDP nozzels, stock CP3, and a S467/83 .9, and a good clutch to get it to the ground.

I figured that I could hit 550 or so on the dyno, and have been told that Im very conservative on my estimate. Many have seen 600+ with similar setups.

I just need to find a dyno and find some time off.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:43 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. I figured the dmax's are probably running about 530hp. I dont think my truck ways that much more than theirs. I got a qcsb.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Exactly John. Common Rail performance is easy to achieve.

Im not quite sure about the proper sizing of turbos for the 5.9, but my '11 Im running an AirDog, 90hp DDP nozzels, stock CP3, and a S467/83 .9, and a good clutch to get it to the ground.

I figured that I could hit 550 or so on the dyno, and have been told that Im very conservative on my estimate. Many have seen 600+ with similar setups.

I just need to find a dyno and find some time off.
--------------------------------------------------
Blake:

You will be EASILY above 500 H.P. with your set-up! I didn't realize you had done that much work to your truck. Good job buddy!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by joebaker82
Thanks guys for the feedback. I figured the dmax's are probably running about 530hp. I dont think my truck ways that much more than theirs. I got a qcsb.
I'm thinking 530 hp would definitely be on the low end for that kind of setup on a dmax. Could be more anyway especially if they have some decent tuning.
You can make 500+ with tuning and small injectors, it's been done before. But for sure a solid tranny would be a good start.
Good luck I hope you beat them!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok I'll play

Those Duramaxes are light and quick, they probably have EFI and if they have twins and a half decent set up they are gonna be tuff to beat without a lot of mods. I'm just being honest here, a well built DMax is quick.

As far as your truck stock sticks can do upper 500s and I think a few have claimed slightly higher. Studs all comes down to what you decide to do charger, or chargers wise. They are cheap insurance.
So 1 what hp level do you really want to go
2 do you want, need or have the budget for compounds aka twins
3 you should get a lift pump
4 depending on overall hp modded pump or arson 3
5 you said trans so do it right the first time
6 depending on boost and power level look at a coolant bypass
7 again boost rpm level look at valve springs
8 you need fuel filtration get a 3 micron kit ASAP
9 injectors??? All comes down to hp level
10 if you can get EFI live it is hands down the way to go, can't remember what year truck you have

Your biggest decision is going to be HP and air. I'm tired of the compounds bandwagon. You simply do not need twins these days with the tuning and chargers that are available up to 600hp+ clean DD. Their are a few variables that can change that but twins are not necessary for every third gen. Make up your mind what you really want and we can give you an exact list, without it we are kind of wizzing into the wind.

A 530 hp Cummins is not going to beat a well tuned twinned dirty max, sorry but the truth hurts.
Ok maybe a 530 hp single cab 2wd with about 10k in track tires and suspension work to get her to hook might do it.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Well said RyeThomas a stock Dmax with efi is a very fast light truck, I know I have been spanked a few times with my present mods. The stock demax allison and turbo are very capable, truth. Sorry about my bonehead comment. It was more my ego getting involved and I apoligise to the forum and joebaker82.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Thats some really good feedback. Yeah they got efi and they put the money down on injectors, intercooler, twins, fuel. I mean they spent some serious cash. They told me their running low 13's. I think they are pulling the wool over my eyes.
As far as my power goes, Im looking for 500+ I want to do it with a single that is streetable. 530 would be sweet cause most of the dmax's around here are running that tune. Any combo ideas out there im all ears.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
1st cover the basics
Gauges,filtration.
Next
Build trans
Then get a turbo, I'll suggest a single that will flow 600 easy but still tow and DD easy. (no one wants 500 hp, go 600-650 you'll be happier)
63/68/14 call Engineered Diesel, Fleece and if you want a third Forced inductions. All these guys build custom turbos. Tell them you want 600-650 and let them tell you what they would build but I have my opinion, see sig .
Get a lift pump 150gph in size
Get an Arson 3 cp3 mod
Get EFI Live

That alone will put you at the 550+ mark the only thing holding you back will be injectors. I suggest not to mess with injectors till you need to. When you do go Exergy with 60-100 hp nozzels, brand new and flow matched. It's gonna be expensive but remans are NO GOOD.
At this time go ahead and stud and do valve springs.

Done 600-650 easy!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM

you the man, you make it sound so easy. haha thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM

your a fellow firefighter too. im a member of the iaff 1619

Quick Reply: 500hp