3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

48RE Trans need advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE Trans need advise

Hello I need help / advise with my 48re Trans. I broke the output shaft. Now what I want to know is what Trans to go with. ATS or BD or rebuild and who. Want to know what is the best bang for the buck and most reliable. I have had the Trans done by the dealer three times and only have 35,000 miles on the truck and now that's is not under warranty I want it to be done right. I run power mods as you can see in my signature but nothing crazy. Let me know what people have done that worked for them. Thank you
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM

what are you looking to do with it and what kind of future mods/power are you thinking because i am a big believer in build it once
Old 09-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by bziggy
Hello I need help / advise with my 48re Trans. I broke the output shaft. Now what I want to know is what Trans to go with. ATS or BD or rebuild and who. Want to know what is the best bang for the buck and most reliable. I have had the Trans done by the dealer three times and only have 35,000 miles on the truck and now that's is not under warranty I want it to be done right. I run power mods as you can see in my signature but nothing crazy. Let me know what people have done that worked for them. Thank you
-------------------------------------
bziggy:

I have run ATS Transmissions in my Dodge Diesel Pickups since 2000. I was one of the first to buy one of their ATS Triple-Lok (3 disc) Converters. I am very happy with the performance and reliablility of their products and they stand behind their products having one of the best warranties in the industry.
You can look at my signature to see where I am on power. My 1996 Dodge CTD has over 800 H.P. and I regularly drag race the truck. My 2006 Dodge CTD CR has about 500 H.P. and both trucks have well over 100,000 miles on the the ATS Transmisions.

Good luck to you Sir.

----------
John_P
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM

48re Trans

I use the truck on the street as a daily driver. I am not going crazy with mods but maybe a turbo and snow injection system. I want something that has reliability and will not break the bank. I don't beat on the truck and do tow a trailer with the quads from time to time.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Since you are an east coaster, call Tim Barber at TRE Diesel. He is one of the best, can't beat his prices, and last but not least no down time. You drive down and he builds and installs it in front of you in about 5-6 hrs. DONE!
And he will not sell you anything you done need.

Ahh but 3 factory trans and a broken output? A broken outputis generally from a boosted launch and if that's the case and with your track record of carnage you may want to build it all out. Again talk to Tim and he will set you straight.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the advise from everyone. I real don't beat on the truck. I had a TQ go first time. Then the valve body went and took out the Trans then the pump went. I come to find out that the first two times it was built by the dealer it was not a full build. The last time was a full rebuild but now the shaft broke. I just want to get a Trans that's done right and not break the bank. Reliability is the best piece of mind. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think that you are going to get what you are looking for without breaking the bank. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a built tranny since I bought my truck and have come to the consensus that it will be be $5,000 - $6,000 to get it done right and not have to ever worry about it again.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jeephauler
I dont think that you are going to get what you are looking for without breaking the bank. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a built tranny since I bought my truck and have come to the consensus that it will be be $5,000 - $6,000 to get it done right and not have to ever worry about it again.
Then you haven't done your research, or called the right people. I've got far less in mine and the only thing it needs is a billet output if I ever want to race. Everything else is done and I paid far less than you have listed, but what do I know?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 PM

For anyone getting a trans this is how it should go.

Do Not go to the local shop for a trans build unless you happen to be lucky and live close to one of the few top builders in the nation as ranked by guys on these sites. The local guy doesn't know jack about a high performance diesel trans. Trust me I know and lost $3200 way back in 06 by listening to the local guys with chips (not ruffles) and a local guy who is one of the best power glide builders in the nation, he had done a bunch of trucks. But let me tell you he didn't and still doesn't no jack about a true HIgh Hp diesel but still guys go to him. I wasted $3200 and even more in down time as it sat useless at his shop.

Step 1 read lots here and on a few other forums and find 2-3 builders you feel good about.
Step 2 decide where you want to go HP wise along with application.
Step 3 read about guys with the hp level you are speaking and see what they have done.
Step 4 call the builders and talk to them. If they do not ask questions about your goals/ hp/ race, tow etc etc hang up. If they throw out a price before hearing your plan say a few choice words to them then hang up. Every trans should be built to your needs and if they don't know your needs they shouldn't build your trans.
Step 5 pick builder, go back to the web and check out that builder and make sure they are doing well both in performance and customer service.
Step 6 buy it.

Ok now for some quick very general thoughts:

Single disc converters are good to 500-600 hp, are a little cheaper and at lower power levels do not need a billet input.
I am always a fan of a Laminated/Billet flexplate at over 450, heck really anything o er stock.
Triple disc converters are great but they shift hard. Some do not run Billet inputs at lower power levels but I would never do that. If your going Triple you need to go Billet input and a Flex.
If your gonna do a Valve Body, be sure to do a Converter to use the added lock up pressure and power.
If your gonna go in do a billet apply, accumulator, strut and upgraded solenoid.
I firmly believe in a Master rebuild if you are going to crack the case. You want to start fresh.

Again these are just basic generalizations.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM

I would agree with Rye. My dad had an 03 with only an EZ and got it rebuilt by a local guy. His trans worked great and only had one problem. The mechanic fixed it and didn't cost my dad a penny. He got lucky. When my tranny went south in the 97, I had another local guy do it (1st guy retired) and I ended up paying more than my dad and got less of a tranny even though my guy said he could make it hold. He didn't and I've been looking for a manual ever since. Finally got one.

Just to reiterate what Rye said, do your homework and buy from a well-knowledgeable source. You'll end up saving money and a lot of headaches. I wish I had done more research and went with someone else. It's better to learn from someone else's stupid mistake than learning from your stupid mistake.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Then you haven't done your research, or called the right people. I've got far less in mine and the only thing it needs is a billet output if I ever want to race. Everything else is done and I paid far less than you have listed, but what do I know?
Maybe prices have gone up or I am wanting more than you have done with your tranny then? I have talked with the two best builders about the build and prices.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Alright fellas got a PM and apparently prices have gone up. I still stand by my post, not everyone needs a 5-6k transmission and too many people fall into the trap of thinking they do. I am just saying be smart and do your research and have your trans built for your needs and your truck.

I will also say if you are going to blow the budget anywhere do it on your trans.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM

I have seen several who broke stock inputs with less than 600 hp.
One was/is very HARD on his truck.
Cold motor and trans, 3500 rpm in the first 2 minutes of running. Foot on the floor every time he drives it. It also has 35 inch tires.
Trans has been rebuilt/fixed two times, motor 3 times.
Truck has under 75,000 miles.!!!!