3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

48RE OD problem !?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE OD problem !?

Just checking to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

My tranny won't stay in overdrive all the time and so I had a dealer scan it and they found a OD/TC solonoid code- then it was replaced only to find the same symtems 50 miles down the road.There's no pattern that will make it go into overdrive,it has a mind of it's own and it will shift into OD if it wants to and it will stay in 3rd if it want s to. Thanks for any and all help!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Anybody?????
Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Had the same exact problem with mine a couple of months ago. It would shift through the first 3 gears no problem but OD was intermittent. Sometimes I had to floor it really quick and then back off while at highway speed just to get it to shift into OD. Eventually it stopped shifting into to OD completely, no matter what I did. I finally took it in b/c it was still under warranty and the dumba** dealership said there was no problem and no codes thrown. I took it to a local transmission shop and they dropped the trannsmission pan only to find a bunch of metal chunks and shavings. I'll try to look up the exact diagnosis but I'm pretty sure it was the OD solenoid that crapped out but I kept driving it without getting it checked out and that part took out the rest of the tranny.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

i took it to the dealer on wednesday b/c it was out of o/d as i was passing a dealer.they found 2 codes:tcc & o/d, which is torque converter and overdrive solenoid.they replaced it only to find out i had the same symtems 50 miles down the road.i called them today when i got home and there is 0 help from them.so basically i spent 5 bills for nothing.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Mine keeps throwing the same code after i installed my tranny upgrades. But now it wont even go into O/D but every day it throws the same O/D T/C solenoid code?? Weird eh!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
Mine keeps throwing the same code after i installed my tranny upgrades. But now it wont even go into O/D but every day it throws the same O/D T/C solenoid code?? Weird eh!!!
if it won't ever go into o/d , then it is a good chance it is the t/c o/d solenoid.
mine will go into o/d when it wants to.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 PM

When mine did happen to go into to OD it didn't lock up.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oreo
When mine did happen to go into to OD it didn't lock up.
mine locked up.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by #2 only
i took it to the dealer on wednesday b/c it was out of o/d as i was passing a dealer.they found 2 codes:tcc & o/d, which is torque converter and overdrive solenoid.they replaced it only to find out i had the same symtems 50 miles down the road.i called them today when i got home and there is 0 help from them.so basically i spent 5 bills for nothing.
Did they replace the governor solenoid and transducer also? If not that would be the next step as they will cause intermittent OD operation.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Did they replace the governor solenoid and transducer also? If not that would be the next step as they will cause intermittent OD operation.
No, they only replaced the t/c o/d solenoid.
I went back to the dealer while I didn't have o/d and they found no codes, so they couldn't do much except guess and I told them you already performed a $500 guess(mis-diag) at my exspense.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

what speed are you having this trouble or it never shifts.... mine used to love to just hang at about 50 and then out of no where it would seem to "remember" it had another gear and whomp into od.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikmaze
what speed are you having this trouble or it never shifts.... mine used to love to just hang at about 50 and then out of no where it would seem to "remember" it had another gear and whomp into od.
there's no pattern.sometimes it will downshift to 3rd at 55 mph , other times I will be going 70 mph.sometimes it stays in 3rd for an hour , then decides to go into o/d.throttle position nor rpm's nor speed matters.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM

if it won't ever go into o/d , then it is a good chance it is the t/c o/d solenoid.
mine will go into o/d when it wants to.
It seems to go into O/D but the code still pops up, i messed up. What i meant was i cant put her in the tow mode on the end of the shifter, the little dash light doesent come on..I still cant figure why the code comes up either? A little off topic sorry...
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
It seems to go into O/D but the code still pops up, i messed up. What i meant was i cant put her in the tow mode on the end of the shifter, the little dash light doesent come on..I still cant figure why the code comes up either? A little off topic sorry...
no bother about being a little off topic ,we all should desire to help each other!
for the record of understanding:
what happens to the tranny when you push t/h button?
does the light not come on?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 AM

no bother about being a little off topic ,we all should desire to help each other!
for the record of understanding:
what happens to the tranny when you push t/h button?
does the light not come on?

No light at all, it seems to be almost disconnected or something..I guess my O/D does do some searching at times aswell. After reading into some of the other posts, mine sounds close to what is happening to yours..

Quick Reply: 48RE OD problem !?