3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

48RE OD problem !?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
No light at all, it seems to be almost disconnected or something..I guess my O/D does do some searching at times aswell. After reading into some of the other posts, mine sounds close to what is happening to yours..
maybe something related, but my light comes on when pushed.
does your tranny up & down shift from 3-4 or 4-3?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by #2 only
maybe something related, but my light comes on when pushed.
does your tranny up & down shift from 3-4 or 4-3?
Yeah it does that, sometimes harder then other times..
Old 08-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

Yeah it does that, sometimes harder then other times..
I hope I'm understanding you .
Your tranny shifts fine , but your light doesn't come or,
it shifts sometimes into o/d and throws a code and the light still doesn't come on.
what code?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 AM

I hope I'm understanding you .
Your tranny shifts fine , but your light doesn't come or,
it shifts sometimes into o/d and throws a code and the light still doesn't come on.
what code?

ok im a little all over the board here, my bad..My light will not come on in my truck, but it still shifts like you said from 3rd to 4th then 3rd, the code that comes up is P1740 O/D T/C solenoid performance. I hope im making this kinda clear, bear with me im canadian lol
Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

ok im a little all over the board here, my bad..My light will not come on in my truck, but it still shifts like you said from 3rd to 4th then 3rd, the code that comes up is P1740 O/D T/C solenoid performance. I hope im making this kinda clear, bear with me im canadian lol
Gotcha!
Don't be overly cocerned with the p1740.Most of us w/48re have it and don't know it.The ecm is seeing the rpm's out of range for that gear and speed , but it usually it's not an issue.
As for the light not coming on,it might be a burned bulb.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM

Gotcha!
Don't be overly cocerned with the p1740.Most of us w/48re have it and don't know it.The ecm is seeing the rpm's out of range for that gear and speed , but it usually it's not an issue.
As for the light not coming on,it might be a burned bulb.

Ok that makes me feel better, i asked bud (bully dog) about that code and he couldnt help me he just told me what it meant...Ok but shouldnt you see a diff in the tow mode or does my chip kinda take that over and im not noticing a diff..I do not have alot of knowledge about these tranny's but imtrying to soak in everything as i go..By the way thanks man...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Ok that makes me feel better, i asked bud (bully dog) about that code and he couldnt help me he just told me what it meant...Ok but shouldnt you see a diff in the tow mode or does my chip kinda take that over and im not noticing a diff..I do not have alot of knowledge about these tranny's but imtrying to soak in everything as i go..By the way thanks man...
What difference in tow mode are you referring to?
i'm no exspert, just learning like you,but glad to help what little i know!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Back to the subject at hand.

i took it to the dealer on wednesday b/c it was out of o/d as i was passing a dealer.they found 2 codes:tcc & o/d, which is torque converter and overdrive solenoid.they replaced it only to find out i had the same symtems 50 miles down the road.i called them today when i got home and there is 0 help from them.so basically i spent 5 bills for nothing.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 AM

What difference in tow mode are you referring to?
i'm no exspert, just learning like you,but glad to help what little i know!

I tow my 34 ft holiday trailer, set my bd on tow mode, now what im asking is lets say my truck is stock, and i use the tow button on the shifter, i sould notice a difference then i would if i didnt use that option right. Ok so when my bd is in tow mode it wont really show me a diff of the stock tow mode right. Basically im just trying to eliminate the possibility that maybe my light is just burned out or if there is more to be looking at? I hope i made sense with all that jibba jabber..Obviously the chip you will see the difference duh. Ive never towed with her in stock before so im just wondering what or if there is a difference between the two modes "tow and O/D" If there is a diff im going to try it out tonight to see if its just the light or not, i hope im clear with this lol
Old 08-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

I tow my 34 ft holiday trailer, set my bd on tow mode, now what im asking is lets say my truck is stock, and i use the tow button on the shifter, i sould notice a difference then i would if i didnt use that option right. Ok so when my bd is in tow mode it wont really show me a diff of the stock tow mode right. Basically im just trying to eliminate the possibility that maybe my light is just burned out or if there is more to be looking at? I hope i made sense with all that jibba jabber..Obviously the chip you will see the difference duh. Ive never towed with her in stock before so im just wondering what or if there is a difference between the two modes "tow and O/D" If there is a diff im going to try it out tonight to see if its just the light or not, i hope im clear with this lol
I'm not sure what difference you're talking about.could you clarify?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 AM

I'm not sure what difference you're talking about.could you clarify?

Not really lol ill try, will you notice a diference when "towing", between (stock no chip remember) the tow button being engaged, and not being engaged. Does that work for ya??? Im so horrible when trying to expplain stuff, the wife couldnt agree more
Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 AM

I had the same issue, same codes even know my tranny is working good now I still get the codes (od solinois and tc). It has something to do with the rpm range and lower voltage. Not a big deal. I added the BD VB upped the pressure a tad and no more shutter shifts.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by DUKCALN
I had the same issue, same codes even know my tranny is working good now I still get the codes (od solinois and tc). It has something to do with the rpm range and lower voltage. Not a big deal. I added the BD VB upped the pressure a tad and no more shutter shifts.

Really i have same shutter shifts, i have a ats v/b could i do the same as you?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Not really lol ill try, will you notice a diference when "towing", between (stock no chip remember) the tow button being engaged, and not being engaged. Does that work for ya???
All the t/h button does when you press it once(tow/haul mode) is lock up the converter sooner, so your o/d doesn't slip or hunt as much.
My tow/od button functions properly.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 AM

All the t/h button does when you press it once(tow/haul mode) is lock up the converter sooner, so your o/d doesn't slip or hunt as much.
My tow/od button functions properly.
would my co-piolit bypass that t/h button seing how my t/c is controlled by it.

Quick Reply: 48RE OD problem !?