3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4 power adders + 195hp Cummins = 604.8hp

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 power adders + 195hp Cummins = 604.8hp

So I have been at like 526hp for like almost 8 months now, and let me tell ya – that settings is not very drivable, and seems to be very hard on the street to control the smoke, etc by the throttle.

And at that power level on the dyno is was no problem to see like 1500-1700* (depends on load and how long you stayed in it) and it was about 46 lbs of boost. (that’s holding the wastgate full open from 40lbs)

SO… quick 4 hour drive to Floor-it Diesel to get some Don M (F1 Diesel) Flux injectors installed and we were going to see exactly how much more we can squeak out of originally a 196hp motor (at the wheels)

First off, Let me tell ya, Scott and John can flat out move when it comes to installing an injector. They made it look easy! I think they could do it sleeping, honestly. (one funny thing is that we turned over the engine with no injectors in to blow out debris, etc – that’s a heck of a site!)

So with injectors in and engine buttoned back up, it took a good 10 seconds to start, and when it did, a nice size cloud was the result. Nice… wrong color though, from all the oil that got into the cylinder, etc

Scott and john took her for a quick drive to check everything out (and to play around, haha) and all seemed well, so onto the dyno she went.

To this day the motor could never get over 526 hp –
TST 8x8 – EZ2 = 526
TST 9x9 – EZ1 = 524
TST 8x8 – EZ1 = 522
(higher EZ levels always made same or less HP, and some times had to turn down the TST)
All the runs were on Johns dyno at various times in the last year and half., BTW

So now we start with TST on 6x5, EZ2 - That’s nets us a great number of 580.1. So we try TST 8x8 – that’s nets us like 458hp and WHOLE bunch of smoke. (48lbs of boost though) – TST 7x7 does OK, but only makes 510ish hp

So now we are like, well I guess the first setting was the best – So now we try TST 6x5, EZ3, and there we go, 601hp !!! I could not believe it, the truck only made 42lbs, and was at like 1320* egt.

This does not make any sense. So what do we do? EZ level 4 of course!!! Dyno…. Nope, no good lost 50hp – man is this common rail stuff confusing. Try 5x5, EZ4 – made I think 560ish…

Ok, Although we wanted more. 600 is not too shabby, heck thats's a max gain of 80hp over my best number from all the combos I have ran.
Time for some backup numbers. – next we posted a 602, the another 604.8hp – nice!!! - -And still about 42lbs and 1300* egt.
And the truck sounds way more wicked, IMO

So the dyno is done, we are happy, 604 on #2 only seems like a nice victory – But heck with dyno sheets, WHATS SHE DRIVE LIKE?!?!?!

One word = SMOOTH – I mean the old 526 setting (tst 8x8,EZ2) was violent and hard to daily drive. It was quite “peaky” as well, not very linear

Now this truck can be driven on 6x5 and when you want it, its there, if not that’s ok. When you floor it, it does not stop pulling till redline – peroid! The smoke is very ample when I want it to be. But that’s nothing new to the TST twins flash. But when I drive “normal” the smoke is not noticeable at all. Heck even on txt 2x2, this truck feels like 450hp EASY – we did not think to dyno without chips on. I will do that this Saturday in St. James though.

Its like a new truck, that’s for sure. I was always a little scared to run it on high, now I love it! The truck almost begs to be ran hard, and at only 42lbs boost, my turbo is loving life. And at 1358 egt on the highway at 100mph end of a big run, I could not be happier. When it was on the old 526hp settings, 1600+ was so easy it was not funny.

SPOOL UP – seems faster, but then again I run less boost now – The best way I can describe it is I feel like I have nitrous now — the turbo seems to come on at the same RPM- BUT yet it feels way faster from from a stop…
BOOST + EGT – already addressed
FUEL MPG – that’s hard to tell, I cant help but run it hard now – it just begs me too! I will report after one tank.
DRIVABLITY – like I said earlier – its like night and day, there’s no way I would go back.
SMOKE – very easy to control, on 6x5, I can make a nice cloud, but totally cleans up by 2200 rpms – 8x8 (though less HP) can shut down a highway easy
IDLE – truck is quieter at idle for some reason, and idle is smoother

That’s about all I can think of now --- one things for sure, Unless someone comes up with something crazy awesome – DON’s injectors will be the only ones found in my truck from now on, period. In fact I cant wait till more levels come out, This MOD was so easy – I mean I have great results, and what did I have to sacrifice? Smoke-no, drivability-no… exactly, I sacrificed nothing!

BTW – DYNO VIDS and DYNO graph will be posted as soon as KevinO emails then to me, (chop-chop Kevin!)
Old 03-26-2006, 04:37 PM

Tomey, my truck was the same way with the Dynomite Diesel injectors, WAAY more driveable, and controllable smoke. Insanely quiet at idle, but it likes the lower settings on the TST. It almost makes me want the old "not twins" program just to see the difference. I can't wait to get the Stage 2 CP3 on mine!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up

wow TOMEYGUN you have one awesome and killer ride there. i hope to get my truck to make that kind of powe one day. I have a question for you. who in ST. James has a Dyno. i only live about 40 miles from there.that is if you are talking about St. james Mo. if it is how much do they charge to do a dyno run. i would like to do mine just to get a base line on it.but good job on your truck and best of luck to you. mopar72
Old 03-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar72
wow TOMEYGUN you have one awesome and killer ride there. i hope to get my truck to make that kind of powe one day. I have a question for you. who in ST. James has a Dyno. i only live about 40 miles from there.that is if you are talking about St. james Mo. if it is how much do they charge to do a dyno run. i would like to do mine just to get a base line on it.but good job on your truck and best of luck to you. mopar72
Forest City Diesel is hosting John Isaac and his Load dyno on April 1st - see the link in my signature, it should be an awesome time!

18375 county road 1000
St.James, MO 573-265-5595
Old 03-26-2006, 05:35 PM

Good power, do you have any torque numbers for it.?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:53 PM

Thumbs up

thanks tomeygun. hope to see you there. i am going to see if i can get to of my friends. that have acouple of killer 12V motors to come and play.Mopar72
Old 03-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Willy91
Good power, do you have any torque numbers for it.?
I think it was about 1120 ish --- but I will check when I get the graph.

A smaller turbo would have made way more tq, but less HP I think
Old 03-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm dying to get a ride in something like that... Anybody in Northern Illinois care to scare me with that kinda power?

I'd like to hear the torque numbers for that... gotta be over 1000lb/ft easy...
Old 03-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Tom
do you run the truck at the drags or sledpull?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by genros
Tom
do you run the truck at the drags or sledpull?
Neither yet, Its a stick. So 1/4 mile would be fun, but most likely not fast...
I want to pull, but the $$$ for the SBC double is hard to come by...

Hopefully soon
Old 03-27-2006, 09:22 AM

Tomeygun, Once again you prove that SO's rock!! Did you get the 40hp Flux or the 100hp Flux. I assume you are limiting boost as you are not studded on the head. 604 hp at 46 lbs of boost is incredible with those EGT's. Keep up the great work. ks
Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 AM
DTR Advertiser

ABC,

I dont know what Tomey has, but 100 HP is a good estimate. I have never built a Flux that big before because we never could. The stock CP3 always caused a dip in rail pressure. Since the new pump, things have changed a bit.

Without the pump the injectors would be useless and without the injectors the pump wont make any more peak HP. Catch 22 of sorts. Its hard for me to attach a power number, but I started with saying 100 HP. That may change and I may not use any HP number, just a level.

Don~
Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 PM

DonM, Should Tomey expect better mileage with this injector or only if he lifts and moves his seat all the way back. ks
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
DTR Advertiser

I would bet it will be worse, not better. Lets hope that is not the case.

The CR engines are famous for getting bad mileage with large injectors. My fingers are crossed.

Don~
Old 03-27-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
.....without the injectors the pump wont make any more peak HP.
When "Diesel Power" sees that he is gonna throw a tantrum.

I don't remember where, but I saw you post in a thread that there was going to be several trucks on a dyno this past weekend with the Stage 1 Cp3 to test variations of Flux injectors. You haven't mentioned the other truck's results, but I assume that comment sums it up since that is the only "hint" I have seen you make as to the Stage 1 CP3's performance by itself. I have to say that is a little disappointing after being built-up as much as it was. Am I on track here?

Sorry to hijack Tomey.

Quick Reply: 4 power adders + 195hp Cummins = 604.8hp