3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06 megacab exhaust question(resonator)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 megacab exhaust question(resonator)

Does anyone know if the resonator on a megacab is just a larger chamber built in to the exhaust or does it reduce down inside the chamber? Is it restrictive? I am installing a new turbo(htt 62/65/13) on mine and I wanted to mod the existing exhaust rather than replace it. It's 4 inch so it ought to be plenty big. I thought I might install the test pipe and larger muffler in the future but I was wondering about the resonator. It looks just like a large chamber but I saw a picture of an aftermarket one and it necked down to about 2" or so inside. Does it need to be removed? I wanted to keep it if it's not too restrictive. I don't know if my cat is still good to go or not. I have over 220,000 miles on it so I figure it might be clogged somewhat.

Also, on the test pipe install, do you cut out the portion of the existing exhaust where the U-bolt is clamping the cat to the inlet piping or does it pull apart? Seems like once the factory tightens the clamp, it crimps the piping together keeping it from coming apart even after the clamp is removed. I'm sure when I get the test pipe and take a look it will be obvious but I thought I would ask what you guys did to install it. Does the outlet end of the test pipe neck down so that it goes into the muffler or is it the same diameter and I have to use a band clamp?

thanks
Dave
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM

^^^
Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

I've got nothing but a muffler.

Depends on what you are after...noise reductions or max flow.

The stock muffler is the most restrictive part of the factory exhaust. Before I threw my factory resonator in the scrap bin, I held it up to the sun and couldn't see through it. The cat went into the hopper before it did.

Had about 20K on the odometer.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 PM

I just LOST my factory 4" system, went to a 5" flo-pro with their stainless muffler - it TRULY made a world of difference. No droan in the cab that is noticable, GREAT mod.

I had a muffler delete pipe and kept the cat and kept the resonator before this change. While my truck was still very quiet with just the muffler gone, this change has virtually no restrictions and is also quiet.

CD
Old 07-20-2010, 04:11 PM

ok... I removed the muffler, but everything else is still there... Sound doesn't bother me too much (radio's up too loud!!), but I'd sure like to squeeze out a better exhaust flow.... Will just removing the cat/ resonator (whatever is the next thing in front of the muffler) improve performance???
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I heard the cat is very free flowing and removing it will not gain any performance unless you really start to step up the power. I left my cat and resonator and I am very pleased with the sound.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Move the resonator up to ware the muffler was and you can have a nasty BARK right at the torq curve 1800 to 2000 RPM... But It is really loud while towing a heavy load in the power band....Sounds like a kennworth with straight pipes on the Jake brake.... LOL Raaaattttaaaa Taattt Taatt
Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM

So is the resonator the next big 'ol round expanded pipe in front of where my muffler used to be??? The way i'm planning all of this is to get progressively loouder till the wifey complains.... then the only thing left to do is go to stacks or get a full TB system!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Well I have just the cat and the res and my is nice sounding no real drone per say. Res is 4" thru just padded to remove drone.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

The resonator is over the rear Axel before the tail pipe, I suggest if you want to go at this in steps first remove the muffler and try it and then if thats not loud enough to set off the wife remove the "Catalytic/soot" chamber in a way that it can be reinstalled if need be and try that then move the resonator to where the muffler used to be and try that then when your exhaust system looks like it was designed in T/J. go for a nice stainless system with a short muffler.. every one has a different taste in what they want there system to sound like so trial and error is always prevalent.. Good luck with the wife!!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 AM

well.... it's cut up pretty good now. I've got a 5 inch tip on it now, and the muffler's gone. I do notice a drone at a certain speed somewhere around 60 (i usually just speed up past it).. So maybe I'll wait for a good set of stacks before i go cuttin it up anymore....it's Plenty good now...
Thanks for the info!!