3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 bully dog throws unknown vehcile code

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 bully dog throws unknown vehcile code

Ive been tryin to stack my edge j/a and ive heard that bullydog was a safe and relaible programer to stack with it so i went to my buddys house because he has the bully dog power pup for an 05 6spd and we took it out of his truck and installed it in mine. as soon as we chose the performance setting and started to install it it came up as "unknown vehicle" and said to contact bullydog. so we put it back in his truck and it went in his just fine. i was thinking that maybe having my edge j/a installed at the same time might have thrown it off but im not sure. has this happen to anyone or does anyone have any suggestions? thanks alot.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
setting his vehicle "back to stock" does not "divorce" his VIN from the downloader.

give BD tech a call. they should be able to tell you how to do it.
it's not in the instructions, from what i can tell.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by razor6
Ive been tryin to stack my edge j/a and ive heard that bullydog was a safe and relaible programer to stack with it so i went to my buddys house because he has the bully dog power pup for an 05 6spd and we took it out of his truck and installed it in mine. as soon as we chose the performance setting and started to install it it came up as "unknown vehicle" and said to contact bullydog. so we put it back in his truck and it went in his just fine. i was thinking that maybe having my edge j/a installed at the same time might have thrown it off but im not sure. has this happen to anyone or does anyone have any suggestions? thanks alot.
I had one do the same thing, the software on the truck is newer than the one on the BD. That is what the "Unkown Vehicle" is. To fix it you have to send it back to BD or if it's a Triple Dog just update it on their website.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:27 PM

Well see i bought the chip at first and it was brand new from bullydog and it said unknown vehicle the first time we tried to put it in my truck and it didnt work so he bought it from me and put it in his truck and it worked fine. so the other day we decided to try it in my truck again and it said the same thing. im very confused???
Old 01-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Muted User

I'm guessing that your truck is newer than his, that's why it won't work on yours. The software version on your truck isn't known by the downloader but his is because it's older. The downloader just needs reflashed with the newest version in order to work on your truck. That was my problem also.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 PM

awsome so if i go buy a new one do u think that it will be ready to run in my truck or will i still have to see if it works and if not reflash it? See i want to stack it with my edge j/a and i hope it doesnt blow my engine if i do that. whats your opinon?
:s
Old 01-22-2006, 10:35 PM

i baught a triple dog from luvnacummins on here and i got it and it had the vin mismatch goin on, i shipped it back to him to fix it, what could the problem be? needs to be backed out of his truck? or have bullydog fix it, or do the internet thing?