3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

03 Exhaust Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=HappyGA]
Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Could there be reason there is a difference in sound of 03 trucks that are straight piped? Cause I will tell you with out a doubt my truck dosent make raspy noise pal. In fact I wish we could meet up on a strip so I could blow by you and your snotty attitude and your muffler loving truck.

Oh boy, here we go with people who can't hold their tongues...

#1, yes there is a reason, it is called Common Rail Injection.

I said that the stright pipe, sounded raspy AFTER take off. At take off, I like the way it sounds, but after take off when the CR sound pitch hits, it does not sound good, and I am entitled to what --I-- think. I am sorry if that gets your panties in a wad, I will call your local roto rooter to come help you get them out. Okay now that AI got that off my chest.

If you will go to aero exhaust, www.aeroexhaust.com ,and listen at their sound files, you can hear what I think sounds like a good tone, that will not hurt my nieces and nephews ears when they are in the back seat of my truck. If I were the only one to ride in the truck most of the time, then I would have stacks, but I have infants and toddlers that I love a lot, and they will one day learn a many Redneck things from me, but I am not going to compromise their hearing either by being a DA.
Believe me when I say there has to be something different between 3rd gen trucks with the sound the straight pipe makes. Maybe its where you add the pipe or what bends they guy puts in the pipe when he puts the pipe back under. Maybe its how its welded in??? I dont know what it is, but I guess there has to be a difference maker somewhere. I read alot of guys saying something about drone... Mine dosent have this drone. I travelled 1700 miles this past july 4th week. If my truck was to high pitched or had drone my wife and kids would have hated the whole trip... they never say anything about any noise in the cab. Well thats not entirely true... when I get on it my 8 and 5 year old yell Dodge Power which they have been saying since they could speak

Sorry about getting heated up. I probably took the 'raspy noise' part as a slam when I shouldnt have. to me raspy noise = rice burner Good luck with finding the right setup. Sorry again
Old 08-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Banned

The Drone in 03/04 Models is terrible straight Pipe,(the Short Box is worse) If you upgrade your Turbo the 03/04 models have drone so Bad we have installed TWO mufflers to remove it ONE Monster One Magnaflow Race,Sounds nice with NO performance Lost.I don"t know why 03/04 are so bad for it, they just are.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe on some of the 03/04 models in question the drone results from insufficient vibration damping through the factory isolators.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I believe on some of the 03/04 models in question the drone results from insufficient vibration damping through the factory isolators.
hmmm. maybe you are on to something here... when I had my work done the shop foreman asked if it was okay to move one hanger and add another one. I said sure if it makes a better setup. He hadded one hanger with the new piece welded in and moved one closer to the tail. He tore up one dampener and added two for the price of one. They look different than the stock ones.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:48 PM

Yeah - just look at all of the factory hangers on a newer (say, '05) CTD and you'll see what I mean... Dodge cut down on the "unsuspended" exhaust tubing lengths, because the longer runs were essentially acting like an unsupported beam getting hit with a hammer and vibrating.

Note: in the case of the mighty Cummins, make that a really big hammer, thousands of times a second...
Old 08-19-2006, 05:04 PM

Yeah - just look at all of the factory hangers on a newer (say, '05) CTD and you'll see what I mean... Dodge cut down on the "unsuspended" exhaust tubing lengths, because the longer runs were essentially acting like an unsupported beam getting hit with a hammer and vibrating.

Note: in the case of the mighty Cummins, make that a really big hammer, thousands of times a second...
What do the factory dampeners look like on 05-06? The ones that were replaced on my exhaust are larger diameter basically a large doughnut. The factory 03 were long and slender
Old 08-19-2006, 06:06 PM

Doughnut?
...Dunno - more like a pretzel (unsalted) having two fat opposite ends with a hole in each to receive the mount rod and the exhaust rod.

Interestingly, the hangars/isolators are remarkably similiar to the ones on my '98 V-10 (I reused those, too ) - I guess 488 cubes worth of ten cylinders each firing 4 times a second makes a pretty good vibrator as well!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM

Doughnut?
...Dunno - more like a pretzel (unsalted) having two fat opposite ends with a hole in each to receive the mount rod and the exhaust rod.

Interestingly, the hangars/isolators are remarkably similiar to the ones on my '98 V-10 (I reused those, too ) - I guess 488 cubes worth of ten cylinders each firing 4 times a second makes a pretty good vibrator as well!
I found something interesting on my exhaust. I never noticed it till now. The piece that was added in is actually larger than the inlet and outlet pipe. It looks to be aluminized but what I found is that on each end there are bevelled welds. I am not 100% sure but if its bigger than the other pipe- inlet 3.5" and- outlet 4" wouldnt it be like 4.5". It looks as if it is 4.5". The weld is bigger on inlet side than outlet side. Maybe this is why it sounds good or better than other 3rd gen straight piped trucks - i dont know - but that could be a reason.

Another weird thing. There are three different types of dampeners. Long/ slender with three holes. Large doughnut looking with 2 holes and one with a metal body and rubber bushings attached to the hanger.