3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Winter Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tires??

I live in northern Vermont and the stock BFG's are just not cutting it on the ice and deep snow. The local tire places are telling me to get the nokian 10 ply winter tire but they are 190.00 for each tire and the biggest they come is 265 70 17. If I'm shelling out big bucks for more tires I want something a little bigger to fill out the wheel wells. Can anyone tell me about personal experiences with an all terrain or mud tire that they have used that will be good for overall driving but also good in snow? I would like to go to at least a 285 70 17 or 305 70 17. I do pull a heavy trailer in the summer so whatever you guys offer should be a 10 ply.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM

The only tire I run is the Toyo Open country A/T or M/T!!

The A/T's hold up great and are awsome in the snow. They are expensive but they work so well. I took my truck down last year with 200 miles on it and put toyos on because the stocker Michelines are so bad.

Chris
Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM

I doubt any winter tire will be better in snow then a new set BF Goodrich rugged trails. Have tried Toyo 295-70-17 MT, Pro Com 315-70-17 AT, Michelin 265-70-17 AT and BF Goodrich 285-70-17 AT.
At this time we have lots of snow here and I am running a new set of rugged trails. In my opinion they perform just as well as the above tires in snow and are a better all around tire for the rest of the year.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 PM

You don't run a winter tire all year. Blizzaks are good but you want to stay with stock size for a true snow tire and only run for winter.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by MaineRam
I live in northern Vermont and the stock BFG's are just not cutting it on the ice and deep snow. The local tire places are telling me to get the nokian 10 ply winter tire but they are 190.00 for each tire and the biggest they come is 265 70 17. If I'm shelling out big bucks for more tires I want something a little bigger to fill out the wheel wells. Can anyone tell me about personal experiences with an all terrain or mud tire that they have used that will be good for overall driving but also good in snow? I would like to go to at least a 285 70 17 or 305 70 17. I do pull a heavy trailer in the summer so whatever you guys offer should be a 10 ply.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors have been great...Rated for severe snow, and had highest ice traction rating at tirerack.com. But I don't know if that is in 285 (which they come in)
The best tires to run in winter time are dedicated winters....studs also if want the ice traction.
And about the Nokians? I have four of those studded. Best ice and snow tire I have ever used. Amazing, really. But a little pricey I will concede....
Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by ron b
I doubt any winter tire will be better in snow then a new set BF Goodrich rugged trails. Have tried Toyo 295-70-17 MT, Pro Com 315-70-17 AT, Michelin 265-70-17 AT and BF Goodrich 285-70-17 AT.
At this time we have lots of snow here and I am running a new set of rugged trails. In my opinion they perform just as well as the above tires in snow and are a better all around tire for the rest of the year.
Wow, that's interesting...are these tires you're talking about the same ones that come stock on the truck? (Rugged Trails)
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM

NO FAT TIRES IN THE SNOW! Keep the size no bigger than 265.
Cooper Discoverer M+S (which have stud holes), or the Discoverer ATR for all season. I have never had any problem with them and they are quite a few bucks less expensive than the other major brands.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Wow, rugged trails good in snow? Those were the worst tires I've ever used. If you even look at a slight grade with a little snow on it those tires would clog up and start spinning for me. I could never get traction and they always left me stuck.

My Toyo MT 285/75/17's have outperformed the stockers in so many ways. Just this week I've been consistently driving through foot deep snow and deeper. I've even dug my way through a few 3 foot snow drifts without much trouble. These are the best tires Ive ever had when you have "severe" snow.

As always, just my opinion and experience here in the hills. It all depends on how you drive and what you drive through.

Have a good one.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Most of the hype about winter tires is just sales promotion. There are too many variables to claim one brand or style is better then another.
If you consider some of the possible conditions; snow depth, temperature, subsurface, tire wear, tire inflation, tire width, vehicle weight and of course the driver most tires would have their day.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Hey Guys,
I will win this one!!! If you want a tire that will make your truck just about unstoppable do what I do.... I run 235 80 17's Cooper Discovers STUDDED on my 06 dually. These things are like pizza slicers. I live at the highest point in my county and we get lots of lake effect snow with severe winds.I have pics and videos to prove it and these studded tires are absolutely the best tires that I have ever used. I have had 27 4x4s and have tried a ton of different tires and if you live in a area that allows studs these babies are the ticket. The thing to remember is tall and skinny if you want to go straight and keep under control in the white stuff!
Take care guys,
Topper
Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Topper
Hey Guys,
I will win this one!!! If you want a tire that will make your truck just about unstoppable do what I do.... I run 235 80 17's Cooper Discovers STUDDED on my 06 dually. These things are like pizza slicers. I live at the highest point in my county and we get lots of lake effect snow with severe winds.I have pics and videos to prove it and these studded tires are absolutely the best tires that I have ever used. I have had 27 4x4s and have tried a ton of different tires and if you live in a area that allows studs these babies are the ticket. The thing to remember is tall and skinny if you want to go straight and keep under control in the white stuff!
Take care guys,
Topper
Are those the Discoverer M+S tires with studs that you have? One of the previous posters mentioned those. They're great as well.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Some good information on this thread. I will say that the TOYO M55's were real good for long wear but nearly soiled the seat a few times on ANY ice...because of the hard tread compound. I have never run winter treads but am considering it. Did the Michelin LTX for years. Tried the TOYO HT, wore too fast. Did the M55...no likey icey. Then I ran the factory Generals and really got a surprise...the rears on my truck have 115,000 miles on them and I can probably get another 5K out of them before I reach the legal limit commercially.
I looked at tires that I could stud but some states have rules on that so I got stopped on that one. Found Generals at TireRack for 137 a piece and 135 at Walmart out in Pendleton OR. I will probably get another set of the Generals for the rear next trip.

Here is something I need to figure out...A friend of mine owns a GM dealership here...he does new take offs and has 20 245/70/17 Ameritracs. I know some folks have put them on their dually's and never had issues with the tires rubbing. My questions are...are they wider then the 235/8017's that are the factory size? By how much? Taller or not? Sorry for a slight hi-jack...I did share my experience with the M55's LOL
Would the 245/70/17 work or is there a site someone could steer me to with the info? I have gotten too many opinions rather then facts on this.

Will look into those Coopers too. Thanks

Scotty
p.s. will got to the general tire site too.

on edit: Got the skinny on the ratings for the 245's at the general site. Looks like I will be sticking with the Ameritracs...stick with whats workin I guess.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 AM

The thing about snow tire are they are just that snow tires they must come off when the snow ends. I only run studded tires in the winter. The question I ask myself is what is my life worth or more importantly what is the life of my family worth??? I tell ya what studded snow tires are cheap when ya look at it like that.
Topper
Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Guys thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the Cooper M&S's
Old 01-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Guys thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the Cooper M&S's
.....and get em studded.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires??