3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trans temp sensor

Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans temp sensor

ive got a 2008 6.7 L were is the transmission temprature sensor located?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you at looking at putting on an after market Gage? If you are then you have three choices.
One: buy an after market pan such as a Mag-Hytec. This will allow more oil, faster cooling and a place to insert a prob to read the oil temp.
Two: Buy an adapter that is fasten to the output line of the trans to the cooler. Prob will be fasten to this adapter and then you can read the trans temp. See ACU Temp Adapter from Geno's Garage. This will be off slightly in reading the trans temp since it is not in the oil.
Three: Cut the out put line and splice in an adapter that will allow the prob to be place in the oil stream to read the trans temp.
I have the Mag-Hytec pan with the prob in the trans oil. I like this the best.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm curious. The computer reads and uses the trans temp as my Edge Insight reports this from the OBD II. So, there must be a sensor all ready in the system. I wonder what and where this sensor would be and if one could tap into the signal (assuming electrical) that goes to the computer and use a gauge for a direct report instead of the data from the OBD II port.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked out this site for my 08 Mega cab. http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2008/intro.pdf
I went to the table of contents and looked up the wiring diagram, the Transmission circuit is on 8W31-1 and the Temp sensor is shown on 8W31-25.
I would check out this site, this should help you. But I would change the year in the web site to 2007.5 instead of 2008.
If not you can used the 2008 site, I would think this would be close.
Good Luck
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
I checked out this site for my 08 Mega cab. http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2008/intro.pdf
I went to the table of contents and looked up the wiring diagram, the Transmission circuit is on 8W31-1 and the Temp sensor is shown on 8W31-25.
I would check out this site, this should help you. But I would change the year in the web site to 2007.5 instead of 2008.
If not you can used the 2008 site, I would think this would be close.
Good Luck
Very good, thanks. I wonder what the physical location (picture?) of the sensor is in the sytem. It appears that it would be in the oil return line to the torque converter.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-engr
I'm curious. The computer reads and uses the trans temp as my Edge Insight reports this from the OBD II. So, there must be a sensor all ready in the system. I wonder what and where this sensor would be and if one could tap into the signal (assuming electrical) that goes to the computer and use a gauge for a direct report instead of the data from the OBD II port.
Well it would work if its not a can-bus signal. Not sure which electrical components other that the radio and such use that signal.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
Are you at looking at putting on an after market Gage? If you are then you have three choices.
One: buy an after market pan such as a Mag-Hytec. This will allow more oil, faster cooling and a place to insert a prob to read the oil temp.
Two: Buy an adapter that is fasten to the output line of the trans to the cooler. Prob will be fasten to this adapter and then you can read the trans temp. See ACU Temp Adapter from Geno's Garage. This will be off slightly in reading the trans temp since it is not in the oil.
Three: Cut the out put line and splice in an adapter that will allow the prob to be place in the oil stream to read the trans temp.
I have the Mag-Hytec pan with the prob in the trans oil. I like this the best.
There is a fourth solution; Drain and remove the stock pan, drill a 1/2" hole in the side of it, install a B&M drain plug kit minus the centre plug, install the temperature gauge sensor into the remaining hole, reinstall the pan and hook up the sensor wire. This is way less $$$$ than the after market pan route.
But he's really asking about the internal stock sensor which feeds data to the ECM.