24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans Temp Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Temp Sensor Location

Ok. I've got most of the gauge installation figured out. We're down to the trans temp sensor. I know that the preferred location is the hot line. That's all well and good. Considering that I have a 2001.5, how do I access this location to install the sensor? Got to be very specific, even down to part numbers if available. One suggestion was to install a &quot;t&quot; with compression fittings. What are the specs on this type of installation? Hard ball time here guys. We're gonna make this happen. Remember, I'm mechanically challenged. I've got help on the sidelines, just need the correct information to make it happen. I know about the DD oil pan with it's port but evidently, it's not the &quot;best&quot; spot.<br><br>~Dave
Old 10-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Trans Temp Sensor Location

Hey Dave,<br> Here's a copy of an email I sent Chris (Papa Smurf). The Hot line that you want is the one that comes out of the tranny, crosses under the trans and goes to the Heat Exchanger which is mounted on the motor on the passenger side under the turbo.<br><br>
<br> I'm not real good with the sizes, but believe it or not, the guy at NAPA went out and crawled under the truck with a pair of calipers and measured the line. I wasn't sure if it would be some oddball size, but it wasn't. I didn't hear the size as he muttered to himself looking through the little drawers getting the pieces, but I do have the part numbers from the invoice. I had to get three pieces.<br><br>* One &quot;T&quot; block ................................... NAPA # 3700 X 6<br>** Two Compression Fittings ................NAPA # 68 X 8 <br><br>The &quot;T&quot; block has 3 female npt holes.<br> The compression fittings are npt threads on one end (screws into T) and the compression fitting on the other. The only thing I didn't have to get was a sleeve to adapt the 1/8&quot; npt threaded temp sender into the &quot;T&quot; block because I had one already that came with the gauges. Total cost was $9.76<br>I hope this helps.
<br><br> I mounted the TEE in the line that is closest to the firewall,,,, about 4 or 5&quot; before it connects to the heat exchanger. It makes the job easier if you take the line loose from the tranny and the heat exchanger (have something to plug the hole in the trans to keep fluid from leaking out). Then you can put it on the bench to cut the tubing and install the TEE. Cut the tubing so that it is the same length as it was before you installed the TEE and it will go right back in place.<br><br> Chris will also tell you that it's not that hard of a job and I have had no problems with mine at all. I like the being able to see the rapid temp changes with this setup. <br> Hope this helps.<br> Dennis<br>
Old 10-26-2002, 08:27 AM

Once again, DTR and it's people come through. Just exactly what I was looking for. Maybe this information could be worked up into a little FAQ to be added to the FAQ files, like notes for Gauge Installation. The other suggestion people have come up involved getting a line from an older Dodge CTD which apparently had the port installed. Evidently, very pricey. I like your price better. Thanks alot. ;D<br><br>~Dave<br><br>
Old 10-26-2002, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea Dave,<br> I'm going to get one of my buddies with a digital camera to come over and we can get some good pics to go along with it. You listening Gonz?
Old 10-26-2002, 09:48 AM

I think it's a great idea mainly because, while I have some good ability with the hands, I've just never gotten into the mechanical requirements of working on vehicles (at least, not until I got mixed up with you guys ). Consequently, as a noobie to this skill, I can see what's important basic knowledge while you OLD HANDS, sit back and say, what's the problem? That's mechanics 101 stuff. I like to think I'm still in remedial class 99. Without stepping on too many copyright toes, how much information can be added to a Gauge FAQ or do we link the information from other sites? Does most of this have to be personal experience or what? As an example, I've found that there are alot of bits and pieces of items needed, even after ordering the gauges and kits (here's a unsolicited plug for Rod at Wildcat Diesel, Thanks Rod) that should be included in the gauge FAQ. If it's all consolidated into one location, it would obviously make it easier for those that follow us. Fortunate for me you had that pm to Papa Smurf tucked away somewhere in your electronic files. I remember a thread awhile back about those lines, something about crawling under the truck, head facing a certain way, put hands on the right handed line next to.... but darn if I can find it again. Those senior moments are becoming more frequent.<br><br>Hey, somebody wake up GONZO. We're talking important stuff here (to me anyway). I could keep track of all the stuff I've found out in the process of installing the gauges and put it into some form of document, BUT, I'd rather it were vetted by Experts or at least someone more knowledgeable about the subject. Is this making any sense or is it another senior moment?<br><br>~Dave