24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Belt Screech

Old 10-24-2002, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt Screech

Any suggestions?<br><br>Every time I switch off the engine on my newly aquired 2002 3/4 ton LB, there is a loud screaching noise. The noise sounds like a belt slipping.<br><br>I contacted the service dept at the dealer, they told me it happens on all diesels. The explanation given was the fan stops slower than the engine thus slipping on the belt and making the noise.<br><br>When I say it is loud, my 4 year old even asks what the noise is. I have not seen any posts on this subject so I suppose this may not be as common a complaint as the dealer indicates.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Belt Screech

Goodyear Gatorback belt #4080810, or NAPA #8PK2055. Should be the part #s.

ps:[glow=blue, 2, 300]Welcome Mike[/glow] ;D
Old 10-24-2002, 09:51 AM

Mine does this also. There was a placard in the truck that said not to pay any attention to the &quot;chirp&quot; that this was normal. It doesnt bother me to hear it, but it does attract attention when you are in a parking lot and people are walking by when she shuts down. Think of it as a &quot;status chirp&quot;
Old 10-24-2002, 09:53 AM

Oh and by the way Mike, welcome to the site ;D
Old 10-24-2002, 09:57 AM

My 98' never made the chirp but when I got my 02 and I heard the chirp on the drive home I called the dealer and he says all diesels do that. But, my 98 never did. So I called a few other dodge service dept. and got the same reply from all of them. <br><br>I'll let it go for now and decide about the dif belts when/if it comes time to change it.<br><br>Sometimes I don't hear it. I think I'm just getting use to it<br><br><br>Thumper<br><br>
Old 10-24-2002, 06:36 PM

When my belt screeches that means it's time to wash the motor. Whenever I clean the motor it stops the squeek. I guess enough oil from the blow-by bottle gets onto the belt to make it slip during shutdown to make it squeek.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:22 AM

Strange thing. The truck has just been prepped for sale. There has been a lot of silicon been sprayed around.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:46 AM

I love my screech! Let's those powerpokes &amp; maxipads know there's a real diesel in the area! ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 10-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome to the site Mike! <br> You can buy a belt dressing to spray on it if the noise bothers you. My advice is forget about it and enjoy the ride!. After a short while you won't even notice it.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=miketriton link=board=4;threadid=6222;start=0#56888 date=1035469322]<br><br>I contacted the service dept at the dealer, they told me it happens on all diesels. The explanation given was the fan stops slower than the engine thus slipping on the belt and making the noise.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Correction, it doesn't necessarily happen on all diesels and it is not the fan stopping. It is that crank shaft stopping right now when you shut the key off due to that 17.5 to one compression and the rest of the components still trying to turn for an instant. Sometimes when you shut it off, it may be near the top of a compression stroke on one cylinder and that cylinder will actually kick the crank backwards just a small amount, enough to make the screech on the belt. The clutch or drive on the fan may cause it but the alternator still trying to turn will screech as well as the clutch pulley if the ac is off.<br><br>You can do a lot of stuff to stop it and spend money that you don't need to spend. I let it chirp and don't worry about it. I have had three of these trucks now since 1989 and put over 350000 miles (combined) on the three and only replaced two belts in that time.<br><br>Your dealer was on the right train, just on the wrong track.<br><br>Let it screech and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:29 PM

Thats how you tell a real diesel eng from a wantabe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt Screech