3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Throttle stuck WIDE OPEN

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle stuck WIDE OPEN

First, let me say that I do like the new features, performance, and the 6spd in the new 6.7, but I really miss my 03 Dodge Diesel. My 05 Dodge Diesel had a few bugs. But, I am really worried about my new purchase. I have a 07 6.7 6spd auto with 1389 miles and it almost killed my family and I this afternoon.

My new truck does that rough idle thing, also when you put in reverse it feels like it is about to stall, (THE MIRRORS EVEN VIBRATE/SHAKE WHEN IN REVERSE). When I shut the truck off and get out, I can still hear something moving in the engine or a noise like something is still going on. I figured I would list them and take care of them when I go in for first oil change. My truck is now at the dealership with 1389 miles on it.

I live in Orlando and this morning the family I decided to take our Jet Ski to Coco Beach for the day. The truck was running fine until the throttle stuck wide open. Before this happened we were looking for a spot to put in off of hwy 528. We did not find one at first so we were merging back on to hwy 528. I had give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to merge into traffic because I was going up a bridge that goes over the Banana River. Once I reached 55 mph I back off the throttle but I noticed the truck was still accelerating. I thought I accidentally hit the resume on the cruise control, because I usually cruise between 65 mph and 70 mph. So I pressed the cancel button on the cruise control and the truck was still accelerating, (now traveling at about 70 to 75 mph). So then I pushed on the brake pedal and started pushing the off button and cancel button on the cruise control. Still nothing, the truck is still accelerating, (now at 85 + mph). All this is happening on the bridge with no shoulders, and with vehicles to my left, behind me and in front. Every one in the truck started to scream and panic, including myself. I was trying my best to keep from running over the Honda Civic and get to the other side of the bridge so I can pull over on to the shoulder. This truck just kept accelerating and the pedal was to the bottom of the floor. I had both feet on the brakes and I finally slowed it down to about 40 mph but my brakes felt horrible. I probably over heated them. I finally made it on to shoulder and I could not get this truck stopped. The engine was racing so loud and my family was screaming I finally decided to throw it in neutral. Then the engine rpm’s went from 3200 to 4000 plus. I think it was bouncing off the rev limiter. I shut her down as quickly as I could once I peeled my white knuckled hands from the steering wheel. I would of shut her down earlier while on the bridge, but did not feel comfortable doing it on the bridge with no shoulders at 85 + mph. My family told me that they would never get in that truck ever again. I have not even made my first payment yet. I will be busy making a few phone calls Monday morning. BTW, 24 hr roadside assistance stinks. They only allowed me up to 14-mile range and my jet ski in tow was up to me get it home. I was about 50 miles from home. Thank God for good friends and credit cards.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow - I'm almost at a loss for words () - never heard of something like THAT on a new CTD before!

I'm assuming the truck is absolutely stock?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM

I have.Fuel pedal hung on floormat.When you hit 3/4 throttle to merge into traffic is when it hung.Bet you have floor mats on top of factory floor mats.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM

wow that is scary. Glad you and your family is ok. Hope everything gets worked out for you.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM

Wow

The main thing is that every one is all right. Way to think on your feet and avoid a sticky situation!

Good luck with every thing I hope it all works out well,
John
Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM

Yeah - I did the floor mat thing myself once - it only took once though - sheesh - that was quite a ride. With the torque in these things hitting the brakes doesn't do much about slowing them down.

After I got the truck stopped and cleaned the seat (just kidding) I cut a nice big piece of the rubber floor mat out from anywhere near the go pedal.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good point Hounddog - classic combination of Murphy's Law & Occam's Razor!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 PM

30 years in the auto repair world I got at least a half dozen or more phone calls or vehicles brought in for same hair rasing ride.Had them to it to me on test drives.Pulled many a mat back before test driving.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen to that! LOL The brakes leave a little more to be desired on a truck with the HP and torque that these things have! Had a Ranger once that did that to me, but usually only when I wanted to "hot rod" it! I'd grab 1st and reach for second with the rpm's bouncing of the rev limiter! Threw those junk floormats away after the 3rd or 4th time! You'd think I'd learn! LOL
Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I vote for the floor mat that was riding high causing it to keep the pedal depressed. This is no doubt my biggest pet peave when I would get into someone else's car to drive or work on. I would always put the mat back where it was supposed to go. I have had the throttle stick on me a couple of times because of the floor mats. Always just wedged foot under the go pedal and unhung it. That got me in the habit of doing this. Still have runaway car with no brakes nightmares from time to time becaue of previous incidents. Always wake up in a cold sweat.

Oh yeah, that is why factory mats now come with little eyelets and hooks built into the carpet to prevent this from happen but somehow it still does. Go figure.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:44 AM

I do not think it was the floor mat. When I got the truck stopped, the red lightning bolt light was on in the dash cluster. I looked it up in the owner’s manual. It is the electronic throttle that was malfunctioning, (fly by wire).
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ Yeah, very possible that it was an apps problem, but I think the computer would have a hard time knowing if it was a problem with the apps, or the floor mat. all it saw was the apps calling for fuel, and the brakes applied. The length of time it sounded like you were on the brakes may have been enough to set a code and turn that light on. Good luck, and let us know!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 AM

The ETC lamp will light if there is fueling when the pedal position sensor reads zero.

Just like the ETC lamp will also light if you use the brake and go pedal at the same time (ie brake torque).
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM

You prolly did the floor mat thing.. it has happened to me 5 or 6 times, the first time i didnt know what to think.. but if you press the gas/brake at the same time.. like powerbraking for a burnout the ETC (red lightning bolt) will come on, and in a normal situation when the gas pedal is not stuck it will cut power almost like its stalling. I have the mopar slush mats over top of my stock carpet mats.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 PM

What I'm most surprised at is that you didn't just turn the key off. Although I wasn't there in your moment, I have had a similar event happen (not on this truck) turning the key was an immediate fix to a bad situation.

BigD

Quick Reply: Throttle stuck WIDE OPEN