3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is Synthetic Oil Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Synthetic Oil Worth It

Is running synthetic worth it ? Sometimes my 6.7 seem to think i like it when it makes its own oil, about every other change, reading on dip stick shows excessive amount. I know its dumping fuel in there. I change oil every 5k. regular diesel 15w-40 rotella $10.50 and synthetic is $ 22.00 at wally world
Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If she is making oil, take to the shop and get the injectors looked at... the issue is not going to get better if you leave it.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 AM

definitely get you injectors looked at. IMO synthetic isnt worth it, change petrol based oil every 5-7k and youll be fine.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 AM

I was told they make or gain extra oil because of the regen process the more they regen the more chances of getting oil contaminated that is why bio diesel is bad has a lower flash point and will contaminate oil faster My change oil light came on at 3000 miles and is what was told to me because all if my driving was around town and had to regen more and yes it was over the full mark and was very dirty. I was furious so they had to explain it to me when the 6.7 regen’s it dumps extra fuel in the cylinders on the exhaust stroke to flash burn the fuel but not all of the fuel is burnt as we all know about diesel fuel what doesn’t get burnt can leak by rings and contaminate oil so the oil change light works two ways off of how many regen ‘s and mileage or oil contamination and mileage I don’t know witch but driving habits and towing affects your oil change intervals ask dodge I did and I change my own oil Shell 15w40 whenever it needs it, doing away with the emissions is the best things for these trucks but I am just scared of voiding my warranty
Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Synthetic is great if you do extended oil changes! If not run the cheap stuff.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Unless you run extended drain intervals or live where its extremely hot or cold,synthetic isn't worth it.

Synthetic doesn't automatically mean better protection.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would have to agree with the others in saying that IMO, it's not worth it to go synthetic. The thing is, the engine is going to run 450-500,000 miles anyways. Why not make your cost of ownership lower and not pay the extra dollars for synthetic? Just my opinion of course...
Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Every opinion counts. I will just stick to rotella 15w-40 every 5000. miles. it is smoking hot down here at the bottom of new mexico. truck runs 80 highway or dirt roads, my S & B air filter gets washed out every two weeks cus of all the dirt roads, mine roads and rock quarrys. Thanks everybody for your thoughts.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 AM

I run synthetic, I also run a bypass and the Fleetguard 16035. I change the fleetguard every 5K. My average oil change is between 16-20K, with OA's every 10K.

I live where the temps can get into the -30C in the winter and I spend a bit of time driving in the rockies.

My yearly cost of oil changes/OA's is around $150-$175 per year. Which is very comparable to changing my oil every 5K. The only difference is I change my oil once vs 4 times, it starts better in the winter. and I like to brag that I run synthetic oil

I think it depends on where you live and how long between changes like stated before. Otherwise it's all the same.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:55 PM

I'm an Amsoil fan but I will also say that Rotella is a very good petrol based oil. Synthetics can take more heat extremes and can be run more miles between changes. My mpg's were only a little better with Amsoil as opposed to Rotella. Amsoil's performance in motorcycles is where I got my first impressions and I can say the difference there was significant.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to the original Q......NO
Old 06-13-2009, 06:13 PM

I'd still make sure that you don't have an injector issue too.

If you can't/won't run extended oil changes then it is debatable.

I run it because I believe it gives better protection, I run extended drain so I know it costs be less per year (even though it costs me more per change), and finally I run it because (unlike some here on the forum ) I don't exactly get a thrill out of changing my oil - I just do it because I prefer to not let others mess with my truck.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thundercraft
I'd still make sure that you don't have an injector issue too.

If you can't/won't run extended oil changes then it is debatable.

I run it because I believe it gives better protection, I run extended drain so I know it costs be less per year (even though it costs me more per change), and finally I run it because (unlike some here on the forum ) I don't exactly get a thrill out of changing my oil - I just do it because I prefer to not let others mess with my truck.

Whether you run syn or dino, when that "oil change required" light comes on, it's time to dump it due to the fuel dilution from the regen events. Find me a syn oil that promotes "extended" oil changes in the 6.7 that "protects" from fuel dilution. The ECM now holds the keys to when you change your oil depending greatly on driving style and overall usage.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM

6.7 run dino, 5.9 run either!!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnhtractors
..I change oil every 5k. regular diesel 15w-40 rotella
Several ways to 'skin that cat'!
If changing oil & filter every 5K.... no need for synthetics.

RJ

Quick Reply: Is Synthetic Oil Worth It