3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

In the shop with less than 1000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the shop with less than 1000 miles...

Here I thought I might get lucky since my truck was built on the 14th of June and had Rev A put in it from the factory...but here's what happened...

On the way home from the dealer, the truck had two fits of a shuddering bucking vibration. Once for about 5 seconds, the second for about 10 sec. I got the truck home, went on travel for work for about 2 weeks and have been driving it back and forth to work, 45mph or less about 10 miles one way for the last two weeks.

So on Friday I embark on about a 400 mile roundtrip to deliver a bed for a buddy. On the way there with 750 miles on the odo, it starts the same bucking and shuddering fit as before...except this time it lasts about 20 seconds and throws the CEL and the ETC light. I look it up in the manual, and since the ETC light was steady and not flashing I went on my way to my buddy's area and went straight to the dealer in Visalia about an hour before they closed. They pulled the codes and told me not to drive it, with a p0608 and a p0206 code.

First thing Sat morning, the tech called STAR, and they instructed him to reflash some software. There was a TSB on the p0608 code (low line pressure in the trans), so the TCM got a reflash and the p0206 code (open circuit to the #6 injector) got some sort of flash as well. STAR then told the tech that it would need to be driven. It was running smoothly and so I take it about 30 miles and stop to do some shopping. As I stop, the engine is running rough at idle like an older 12V so I turn it off and restart it. It runs for about 4 seconds and then dies. Then I try to restart it and it will crank, but not start. I call the dealer back and while they're figuring out a tow truck, I thought what the hell, I'll try it again. So roughly ten minutes later I try to start it and it fires up, running smoothly with a CEL. I take it back to the dealer, late in the day again and they pull the codes, this time the p0206 code again. They clear the code and unfortunately couldn't get me a rental car that late in the day. Since I have to be at work bright and early Monday morning, staying until Monday morning to get a rental car wasn't an option. Since it was once again running smoothly, they said it was safe to drive back the 200 miles.

I left this afternoon to drive back, got into the desert mountains, and it starts having a fit again...throws the CEL and this time it lasts for about 10 minutes...limping along at 50mph, with the ETC light on. It cleared up and ran smoothly for a while...then launched into another fit for about another 10 minutes, vibrating and shuddering like crazy as it ran on 5 cylinders. Then it cleared up for the rest of the drive home. I drove it straight to the local dealer here that I honestly don't have a lot of faith in after they way they "fixed" my '02 Dakota that I owned previously. They were of course closed on Sunday, so I'll call them first thing in the morning.

Any ideas? The tech at the Visalia dealership said that he'd need to tear into the engine to see what the deal was with the #6 injector. He also said that the injectors were a restricted item, meaning that he'd need authorization from DC to get another if that was the problem...sounds to me like the truck will be in the shop for the better part of a week. Anyone know what the regs are on a loaner or a rental car?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned

I am not sure but in the owners warrenty manuel I think it says that if the dealer has to work on a vehicle for longer than a couple days they have to give the same truck to use while they are working on it. I am pretty sure it said something like that, I will look in manuel and see if I can find it.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

unless you bought an extended warranty you SOL with a rental...atleast i was on my 06. i told them i didnt plan on keeping it past 3/36 so it wouldnt make since for me to buy it

brett
Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure sounds like a Bad #6 injector, or a wiring problem. More than likely a wiring problem due to the fact that is is fine some of the time. It would be worth pulling the valve cover to look at the wiring. Could just be a loose connection at the injector! Give them a little time, they'll get it!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Oh, and by the way, ther is no TSB for anything related to P0206 code! He just reset the light after doing the flash update for the P0608.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks VZ...hopefully it's something easy. It's a little unnerving though that it would first do it with less than 200 miles on it. Makes me wonder what kind of quality control Cummins has at their engine factory these days. Don't they run these things on a test stand first?

The tech at the dealer specifically mentioned the TSB for the trans, but nothing specfic for the p0206. He just said that when he hooks it up to the computer to reflash that it pulls all the new updates automatically. I got the impression that something had been done about it...but I guess not. I can tell you that it doesn't run very well on 5 cylinders though!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I'll bet not ! Like I said. Probably just a pinched wire for the injector, or a loose nut at the connection. It made it 200 miles in the truck before it gave you trouble, it could have been finr when (IF) they tested the engine. I don't think every engine is tested. Maybe like every 10th one or so. May have been something Dodge did at the factory too when installing the engine- pinched wire?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by KMKDiesel
I am not sure but in the owners warrenty manuel I think it says that if the dealer has to work on a vehicle for longer than a couple days they have to give the same truck to use while they are working on it. I am pretty sure it said something like that, I will look in manuel and see if I can find it.
Nope, no such thing exists. It'd be nearly impossible to do.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Nope, no such thing exists. It'd be nearly impossible to do.
If you are a business link customer they do have to provide a loaner,in order to qualify you must be a business and own at least two trucks,however many Dodge dealers don't participate, beause of the loaner requirements.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to start a journal of your problems. and save those tickets

What use to be fun "buying a new truck" can be the next episode of court TV.

Do an internet search for your states lemon law as well..

Sorry about the truck dude..
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Here's a lemon law question for you...I'm military, a resident of Missouri, the truck is registered in Missouri, but I'm stationed in California and I bought the truck in Las Vegas. Which state's lemon law would be applicable? And no, not a BusinessLink customer, so I guess I'll be driving my GTO for a few days until they get it figured out.

Also, I got a bit of an update from the dealer here...Chrysler has them diving into the #6 injector to see if it's an injector problem or a wiring harness problem. More news at 10.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First sorry about your truck. Being a business link customer is great, you do not have to have two trucks though as stated above. I am a business link customer and I only have one truck and I no longer have my business. I still get priority service, discounted parts, and a loaner at no cost for any service. If your rig is in for more that one day they are "required" to give you a egual or greater loaner at no cost, but good luck getting that without specifically requesting it. As for the lemon law thing I have no idea what state's law it would fall under, I would think the registered state, but who knows.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Required to give me a loaner as a BusinessLink member or required to under the 3/36 bumper to bumper? I guess what I'm asking is if they're required to lend me a loaner.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 PM

So the dealer calls back late today and says it's fixed. Tells me that they had swapped the #6 and #1 injectors as per DC's instructions, the problem didn't go with the injector, so they surmised that it was a connection. They put it all back, cleared the code and drove it 20 miles without it throwing a code. Viola! Oh, and turns out there was a 0680 code I think it was as well this time for low line pressure in the rail...at least that's what they told me.

I pick it up, drive it 3 miles home, put on a set of step rails and then head onto the base to the gym. As I'm rolling through the front gate, low and behold, my old friend the CEL comes on and sure enough, it's clangin' and bangin' as i come to a stop in the parking lot. I shut it off, go inside and get my workout in and 45 min later come out to leave...won't start. Cranks but no go. So we'll see what the dealer and DC have to say about it tomorrow. That is, after they figure out how to get a tow truck onto the base to pick it up and drag its carcass in.

On the bright side, after I had a friend pick me up, I went and broke out my GTO and let the 455 sing on the way home. Ah, why can't they all be as simple as my GTO?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 AM

Is it me or is Dodge trying to pee off their customers and go out of business?

This new engine/exhaust system is fast becoming the 2003 6.0 launch X 10!!

It appears that the new GM and Ford engins have very little problems, and the ones they have are minor.

What the heck did Cummins and Dodge do, just assume this new engine/exhaust would work.

Do ANY of the Dodge machanics out there know anything about these new trucks for God's sake?

I have to get a "new" truck in a year or so, but these new Dodges are a joke as well as their service depts.!

This stuff has to stop soon. But I see this new financial corporate raider company that purchased Chrysler caring nothing for auto/truck customers and more about sqeezing out every last penny in profit and then dumping the company in a few years to the Japaneese for $.10 on the dollar.

Quick Reply: In the shop with less than 1000 miles...