3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Remove all 2007 emissions related stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove all 2007 emissions related stuff?

According to this link

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

Diesel powered diesels are exempt from smog inspection in California. Since that's the case what's to stop someone from removing all the new smog related gizmos? It seems you would not be caught if the vehicle is exempt.

Of course some aftermaket source will need to provide an ECU capable of running a truck without the stock emmissions equipment.

So other than warranty why not remove the emmissions related parts that we all hate?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Diesel powered diesels....what about water powered diesels?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C&C Milo
According to this link

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

Diesel powered diesels are exempt from smog inspection in California. Since that's the case what's to stop someone from removing all the new smog related gizmos? It seems you would not be caught if the vehicle is exempt.

Of course some aftermaket source will need to provide an ECU capable of running a truck without the stock emmissions equipment.

So other than warranty why not remove the emmissions related parts that we all hate?
Because it's a violation of state and federal law, but nothing keeps you from doing it.
HMMMM....... does that also go for theft and murder..........?
They're both illegal but I might get away with them too!??!!??!!??
Mike
###
Old 01-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Ooops, I would love a water powered diesel.

I think I found a link to the penalty. A civil penalty of $25,000 per day. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2001&TYPE=TEXT

I'll ignore the ridiculous compoarisons. Most people reading these forums have done something to their truck to "bend the rules" a bit. No different than removing a catalytic converter etc. and who drives at or below the speed limit 100% of the time.

I guess I should have been clearer on the point I was trying to make. It surprised me that the implementaion of all these emissions requirements was not accompanied by an equivelent level of policeing. When emissions controls were first added to gasoline vehicles a strict monitoring system was created. It actually is a very good thing they haven't done this to diesels. Yet. I would not be surprised if in a couple years we are looking back to the great days when you didn't have to have your diesel truck smog inspected.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

please dont discuss intentionally removing federally mandated emissions equipment from these trucks. this has been covered several times in the past, but being that this is a public forum, anyone can view it, the administrators have asked us not to talk about doing this as it could get the owners of the site into trouble.
thanks
chris
Old 01-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Sorry, won't happen again.

Please delete the post.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

no worries milo. welcome to DTR. not your fault, just have to be careful sometimes.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 PM

I'll tell you why you cant remove the emissions from the vehicle, EPA mandated that the engine ecm will always be looking for the items you want to remove and will give the engine a severe derate in the form of RPM or Torque, the ECM is always looking for different sensor that control the EGR and the aftertreatment. I am not saying it cant be done, never say never But I think it will be a very long time before someone can overcome all this with a whole new ecm calibration.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow I thought this thread would have been locked by now......

emissions stuff is here to stay. If you don't want it, buy an older truck that never had it.

I don't think it is hurting power that much anyway
I'm not trying to be a jerk, it just seems like people read into this emissions stuff a little to much.