3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Quick-Change Oil Valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick-Change Oil Valves

I'm interested in purchasing and installing a quick-drain oil valve in my truck's oil pan so that I can easily change the oil in areas where it may be difficult to do so. The manufacturer is Fumoto (I've included a picture of the valve below). I have two concerns:

1. If I run over something and it hits the valve I stand a chance of losing all the oil, even though my truck is a 4X4 and has good clearance.

2. Some prankster could get under the truck and open the valve (yeah, there probably aren't too many out there who would do that, but you never know).

Have any of you considered doing this? If you already have one of these valves installed, have there been any problems or other concerns? Thanks...

Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a lot of people that have them. I oredered one and couldn't bring myself to install it. My biggest concern was the torq of the ting. I never felt I got it installed good enough. SO I went with the Heavy duty plug.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:13 PM

i've used them for years. all of my cars and trucks get a fumoto on the first oil change. makes it so much easier. if you hit something hard enough to release oil from the fumoto, then chances are you would do the same to your standard plug. they open by pressing the lever, then sliding it open. as far as a prankster goes.... it just saves them a few seconds over opening it with a wrench. i think if anyone has the notion to release your oil as a prank, they would do it fumoto or not. and they more than likely won't even know you have a fumoto until they get under there with the wrench. so it won't matter.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Have one on my new truck and had one on my old one for a couple years , no problems at all. Fall hunting ,out of state ,gets me into 4 wd areas and never had a problem.
I went to this after I broke off the standard drain plug on my old truck after changing oil , doesn't happen anymore.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM

I've had them for years on my vehicles. Lov'em ,no more fighting stuck or tight plugs. I use my trucks for hunting & fishing offroad & no problems.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM

I love mine but I chose not to get the one w/ the nipple sticking down.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Because of the amount of time I spend off road the Fumoto made me nervous. Instead I went with an EZ Change Drain Plug. Works awesome and is almost as fast as a Fumoto.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Because of the amount of time I spend off road the Fumoto made me nervous. Instead I went with an EZ Change Drain Plug. Works awesome and is almost as fast as a Fumoto.
That's the one I have as well I think it's worth every penny!

Oops, sorry...My first post here. Hello Everyone!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That EZ Drain Plug looks pretty good, but my question is: can you control the oil flow as well as the Fumoto valve, which has a lever? I'd like to be able to remove the oil a gallon at a time rather that the whole shebang. That's the main reason I want a valve that is more controllable.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 AM

I will be looking into getting one of those for sure. Changed my oil the other day and had it splatter all over the driveway and my face. Can't get the plug out of the hole in the container because oil is hot and it overflows and STAINS the Driveway. This is one of those things that will make the job alot easier and cleaner..
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"Can't get the plug out of the hole in the container because oil is hot and it overflows"

Try a magnet on a stick.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Those quick change things don't allow you to drain all the oil. That last 3/8 - 1/2 inch holds all the gunk. That makes me nervous.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Geico266
Those quick change things don't allow you to drain all the oil. That last 3/8 - 1/2 inch holds all the gunk. That makes me nervous.
I had one on 06 Mega Cab it worked great and mine got all the oil out I have never had a problem and I plan on getting one for my 08 6.7ltr....
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM

This is from their website.

Drain Valve Size Hose Clip Size
T, FG Series 11/16" Clip
F Series 5/8" Clip

Q. Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?
A. No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM

I mainly bought mine to be able to take easy oil samples (good synthetic and amsoil dual bypass filters...).. I was concerned that the valve would stick too far up as well but the threaded hole goes up in the pan just as deep...

Quick Reply: Quick-Change Oil Valves