3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Picked up a 6.7 Mega Cab - all this talk is making me nervous!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up a 6.7 Mega Cab - all this talk is making me nervous!

Boy, all this talk of issues with the 6.7 is making me nervous. Had mine for two weeks now with no issues, though I had a rough idle at the end of my commute this AM. This is my first diesel. I had a SuperDuty with the V-10 gasser. I love the truck, particularly the drive train. The interiors are definately not as nice as the Ford and GM products, but that was not important to me. It is not a daily driver for me but I would hate to be stranded when I do drive it. Hopefully Dodge will get the issues worked out soon and I hope that no design defect requires new engines! Glad to be a part of the board.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 AM

Dont worry every thing will be fine and welcome to the smokey side. I have a 12valve now and cant wait to get into a 6.7 truck.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
HOV

What's better about GM interiors?

Ford has a nice interior package, but GM... :uke::
Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by HOV
What's better about GM interiors?

Ford has a nice interior package, but GM... :uke::
My thoughts exactly! I had a 2004 2500HD Chev I sware that thing had *****, handles and switches right out of the eighties.
I get tired of people who think Dodge interiors are inferior.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM

I was compaing to the new GM vehicles which to a certain extent have lost their truck focus. I guess the underlying point of that comment was that it seems like the Dodge is down on a features when compated to the others. Power folding mirrors, the wiper stalk doesn't have a "single wipe" feature which I like a lot. Lumbar support, power recline on the seats. Windows shades that extend the gap. Like to see HID hdeadlights. Integrated brake controller. Better climate controls with digital readouts. Graphic display in the center cluster for vehicle information. Turn signals on the front of the mirrors. Backup sensors (not even an option that I was aware of). Some are not a necessity, but some would make the truck functionally better.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM

FYI, I don't think the interior build quality is inferior. I think it is as solid as the rest. I think there are a few rough edges on the plastic but it is quiet and nice. I think the truck lacks some features. The old Chevy's sucked. And they rattled like no tomorrow after 10k miles.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I get my next truck, I'm sure going to look at putting my front seats in there. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Dave
Old 06-09-2007, 08:05 PM

man this is why Im waiting a year or 2 until the bugs are all worked out. You guys who bought these 6.7 2007 models are like lab rats for dodge Then again I guess somebody has to do it
Old 06-09-2007, 08:05 PM
zxa

Originally Posted by MisterScott
Boy, all this talk of issues with the 6.7 is making me nervous. Had mine for two weeks now with no issues, though I had a rough idle at the end of my commute this AM. This is my first diesel. I had a SuperDuty with the V-10 gasser. I love the truck, particularly the drive train. The interiors are definately not as nice as the Ford and GM products, but that was not important to me. It is not a daily driver for me but I would hate to be stranded when I do drive it. Hopefully Dodge will get the issues worked out soon and I hope that no design defect requires new engines! Glad to be a part of the board.

dont worry...the worse who could happen, you gonna sleep at your dealer!!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fbx22
man this is why Im waiting a year or 2 until the bugs are all worked out. You guys who bought these 6.7 2007 models are like lab rats for dodge Then again I guess somebody has to do it
At least Cummins got the injector pump figured out, VP44 boy.

My previous 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 CTD HPCR 305/555 was a first year common rail.....and I had no problems what so ever with it.

Nobody tests more than Cummins.....and I believe the 6.7L's will do great, too. Sure.....there will be the occasional problems; there will be some loss in fuel economy.....but hasn't there been some loss of fuel economy since the 160hp 5.9L was introduced back in 1989 ? How many emissions hurdles have been jumped ? Who's meeting 2010 standards already ?

Greg
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by maynard3
At least Cummins got the injector pump figured out, VP44 boy.

Greg
uhhhh...OUCH
Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 PM

hey at least the new 6/7 are now non smokers (i think? when we test drove it didnt smoke but we gave it like 1/3 throttle max)
but they are a milestone to me
it beats fords so called amazing twin turbo
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM

the only thing i have against these is that fully loaded they cost a bit much
configured online 2500 cummins auto 6/7 laramie was about 55k give or take
but it doesnt matter cuz itll last a good 15-20 years and thats why my dad is getting one
Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Mister Scott, don't worry you have a warranty, and like someone said, Cummins tests a lot, and it is the wave of the future, and it is what it is. thatis why a lot of us got the 5.9's. I did not want EGR and self igniting cleaner of CAT, and and ECM with thousands more functions.But if I needed a new diesel, I would get what you have. Drive it and enjoy, it is what most all of us will be driving in the future.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 PM

No problems so far

I have 3788 miles and havent had a single problem yet. The truck is running really well both empty and with a small slide-in that I use for camping in Colorado. I used to have a 3/4 Chevy gasser and the ride certainly isnt worse. The interior in the Dodge is not as plush as other brands and is simpler. But, simple is sometimes better....less "stuff" to deal with and less to go wrong. So far I am quite happy with the truck and mileage is improving.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 6.7 Mega Cab - all this talk is making me nervous!