3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrogen

I was at the dealership today and we got to talking about the stupid tire sensors. The guy I was talking to mentioned that they were considering getting a new toy.......it was a thing to put nitrogen in the tires instead of air. Supposed to last forever. It would cost $29.95 to fill up all four tires and if you had a slow leak or needed to "replenish", it would be free.

By my own admission, I'm a bit slow. Is this a new thing or has this practice been going on elsewhere?

Azzy
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's been going on for as long as i can remember and that is back to the sixtys. truck's use it because it does not expand as much as air, if you are hauling over weight loads you will have less blow outs using nitrogen. it has other benefits also , not as hard on the tires and no smaller molecules to leak through. on pickups it is near worthless to get maximum life you should run your pressure to fit the loadie if you run enpty you will find even tire wear at about 65 psi with out hurting milage load heavy increase it to 85 not easy to do with nitrogen unless you have your own bottle
Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Wow....I guess I'm slower than I thought. I didn't realize this was something that was going on that long. Just never heard of it before.

Thanks, Carl.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have topped up my tires at work with nitrogen because its easier than finding an air hose on the wall. Some tire places offer it for like 5 bucks a tire when you get new tires. Suppose to have a lower rate of expainsion or something like that. Not worth it if you ask me. However it is much cleaner than shop air so if they are having trouble with the pressure sensors going bad because of contamination I could see it being worthwhile in that application.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Nitrogen is most useful in race cars where they have temperature extremes that can cause the loss of a few thousandths of a second per lap. Nitrogen doesn't expand or change with heat or cold extrmes and gives a more constant tire pressure. For everyday driving, it is a complete waste of money, especially at $29.95.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by mnmlod
Nitrogen is most useful in race cars where they have temperature extremes that can cause the loss of a few thousandths of a second per lap. Nitrogen doesn't expand or change with heat or cold extrmes and gives a more constant tire pressure. For everyday driving, it is a complete waste of money, especially at $29.95.

And Aircraft. But I would not pay $30 for it thats stupid...But I guees they have to make up for the cost of the machine. Costco has been doing it for like 5 years now no charge.

Michael
Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 AM

I put some nitrogen in my tires every time I air them up. About 78% if I remember correctly

Don't waste your money! Unless you are dealing with 1/4 pound increments it is useless. I raise and lower my air pressure every time I load up my truck. If I paid 30 bones everytime I did that I would have paid for new tires 10 times over!!

Chris
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Azzy
Supposed to last forever. It would cost $29.95 . . .
By my own admission, I'm a bit slow. Is this a new thing or has this practice been going on elsewhere?
Azzy, Azzy, Azzy, I prefer OEM air (ask if you really need to know why), but I see others prefer Seasonal Air or Dereier (click for management of such).
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisM55
I put some nitrogen in my tires every time I air them up. About 78% if I remember correctly

Don't waste your money! Unless you are dealing with 1/4 pound increments it is useless. I raise and lower my air pressure every time I load up my truck. If I paid 30 bones everytime I did that I would have paid for new tires 10 times over!!

Chris

I think that % is correct

Michael
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Stable pressure and no moisture...that's why they use it in high altitude aircraft. Moisture would freeze at altitude and a tire going from 0 to 120mph would be a nice ride with a chunk of ice in it.

Don't waste your money...donate it to St. Judes!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by fflarry
Stable pressure and no moisture...that's why they use it in high altitude aircraft. Moisture would freeze at altitude and a tire going from 0 to 120mph would be a nice ride with a chunk of ice in it.

Don't waste your money...donate it to St. Judes!
being an aircraft mechanic I know why they us it I was just stating that they also used it in aircraft . I agree if you have to pay for it do not do it

Michael
Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 AM

78% is correct. The nitrogen does keep a more constant pressure, runs cooler because there is no moisture (which holds heat), and would recommend it if you have tire sensors. If you have a Costco in your area they should help you out. I manage a Costco tire center and I will N2 a members tires for free.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not pay to add it to my tires but several place other then Costco now use it with new tires. I noticed that when Costco put Nitrogen in my wifes new tires the air pressure was stable for 12 months. I think by having stable air pressure it helped fuel mileage as it was going up and down due to them not losing air pressure all of the time. IIRC under inflated tires can cost you 5-10% in lost fuel mileage and shorter tread life.

JMHO
Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fishaholic
78% is correct. The nitrogen does keep a more constant pressure, runs cooler because there is no moisture (which holds heat), and would recommend it if you have tire sensors. If you have a Costco in your area they should help you out. I manage a Costco tire center and I will N2 a members tires for free.
Wow I never thought I would run into anyone that worked for costco on here. Tire center was awesome...front end sucked

Michael
Old 03-14-2008, 10:52 PM

I have done it all. I enjoy working in the tire center. I have been with Costco 14 years and 9 of them have been in tires.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen