3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some input

I realize it is very difficult to diagnose a problem just by describing it but this forum is the first one I joined and it and all the folks who share has been a really big help in teaching me about my truck and CTD.

Here goes My truck is acting a little strange when you are stopping it feels like you are trying to stop a standard trans without pushing in the clutch. I'm no mechanic but it sounds like possible computer problems to me. I was thinking I should flash it back to the stock setting and see what happens. Also it is not noticeable when it warms up.

So i guess the question is this a sign the transmission is starting to go or an issue with the computer?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I saw that once before on a third gen and it turned to be an internal transmission problem. Not sure if the torque converter clutch was staying engaged, or if it was simply something seizing up within the converter and causing drag, but it was the same sensation you describe. Stopping the truck would drag the RPM down below where the ECM wanted it to be, so it was adding fuel and making it impossible for the brakes to hold the truck. I think I've seen the same complaint on here a couple times, a search might turn something up; I don't know what would be a successful search term though.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by torquefan
I saw that once before on a third gen and it turned to be an internal transmission problem. Not sure if the torque converter clutch was staying engaged, or if it was simply something seizing up within the converter and causing drag, but it was the same sensation you describe. Stopping the truck would drag the RPM down below where the ECM wanted it to be, so it was adding fuel and making it impossible for the brakes to hold the truck. I think I've seen the same complaint on here a couple times, a search might turn something up; I don't know what would be a successful search term though.
Thanks, after I posted I was thinking about this and had a thought it might possibly be related to TQ lock up