3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

need advise 08 gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advise 08 gone bad

just bought my 08 6.7 it has 17000 on it and the cel came on took it to the dealer and now they are replacing my turbo, not sure if i should keep the truck and chance they flashed it and it not giving me any more problems, or should i sell the truck you guys know more than i do. Havent even made my first payment on the thing.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would let it buck. The first problems were with the sliding nozzle in the turbocharger hanging up and damaging the servo. They don't mess with trying to figure out what little part went wrong, but just replace the entire turbo. After that with the latest flash, it should be clear sailing... The newer flashes have taken care of alot of emissions related problems that plagued the 07 years.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully it will be Fixed for good. You still have a lot of warranty, so I wouldn't trade it for the first problem.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM

in his situation you couldnt actually notice anthing wrong with the truck other than a cel, It had great power turbo spooled quickly no odd noises or occurences, just a cel then upon taking it to dealer they told him were replacing turbo and egr its all sooted up, then told him the truck isnt made to drive around in but for the interstate?? Not sure about that Im a 5.9 guy, but from what I have read there are quite a few folks on here that commute daily in their 6.7. I believe he just needs some reassurance from other folks that do the same in theirs
Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

lil dog did you have a similar problem out of your 08, also what should i ask my mechanic about the latest flash
Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
keep it. let it run out of warranty and then delete egr and dpf and you will love it even more. unless you can afford to be your own warranty you can do the deletes now and be even happier. better mileage, no more soot in the EGR tract and cooler temps.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 PM

A couple of bits of advise:
- Always run with the engine brake on...keeps carbon from building up and messing with its operation.
- Try to keep the rpm's up a bit, rather than lugging the motor. My truck is the 6 sp. auto. I never run in 6th unless I'm out on the interstate. Even at 55 mph the truck isn't pulling more than 1800-1900 rpms.
- Keep your idle time to a minimum and give it a workout from time to time.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
keep it. let it run out of warranty and then delete egr and dpf and you will love it even more. unless you can afford to be your own warranty you can do the deletes now and be even happier. better mileage, no more soot in the EGR tract and cooler temps.
You can also do the minimal deletes and Smarty and be able to put it back to stock with reasonable time effort for possible warantee issues. There is no guarantee that traces of a programmer would not be found, but it is certainly worth a try. I would recommend it because it would most likely allow you not have a similar/same warantee issue. Let them fix it and then do the deletes on a "new" system. You won't be back there most likely and will be able to enjoy your truck with less worries then.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thomasb
lil dog did you have a similar problem out of your 08, also what should i ask my mechanic about the latest flash
To be honest, I have not had a single issue(touch wood) with mine since I got it. I drive it like I drive my 97, and was stated. In town, lock to 4th max. I use T/H to keep the revs up. I am in love with the EB, so its always on and I use it often to keep the engine warmup to a shorter time. I have a couple friends with 08's, earlier builds than mine with no issues either. Another guy has on 07 and it had nothing but problems, but he stuck through it and by the time they got to the latest flash, replaced the turbo it has been just fine.

I would not worry to this point. Depending on your ECM, I am not sure what the latest flash is. But it only came out about 2 months ago and was supposed to have the soot reduction idle sequence and better mileage (read less regens and EGR flow).
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
But it only came out about 2 months ago and was supposed to have the soot reduction idle sequence and better mileage (read less regens and EGR flow).
All this fine tuning. Is it still 2010 emmisions compliant when it is not 2010 yet?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by thomasb
just bought my 08 6.7 it has 17000 on it and the cel came on took it to the dealer and now they are replacing my turbo, not sure if i should keep the truck and chance they flashed it and it not giving me any more problems, or should i sell the truck you guys know more than i do. Havent even made my first payment on the thing.
Sounds like you have a warranty. I'd drive it and wait for 2011's before I did anything drastic
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Here are some more problems that you might have with your truck. Oxygen 02 sensors will soot up and require replacement with updated sensors. EGR valve will soot up and stick open requiring replacement or cleaning. PDF filter will set cell light if you do not drive truck for long periods on open highways to clean soot from filter. If you continue to drive your truck for short distances then filter will become 100% plugged this will derate power and mandatory trip to dealer for forced mobile regeneration or replacement. Fuel filter will require replacement every 15,000 miles.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by BigIron70
PDF filter ...
Didn't know our trucks had Adobe software .

That is why I took mine off while it was working so that if I need it for warantee or smog it will work! Among other reasons...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had good luck with mine since the latest flash in July. I drive it like I drove my 2000. Lots of around town, some trailer towing but I can monitor when its in regen and most of the time let it finish. I also unplugged my egr (3.5 mpg increase in town, no increase while towing) and the engine is much happier and the turbo seems to not be as laggy as before sucking in 210 degree heat.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:45 PM
orr

I've got an 08 6.7 that I've owned since new in April 08. I have 24 pages of warranty related work with 27 item's that have been addressed. Some of these item's have been "fixed" twice (exhaust filter, u-connect phone system). Some item's only act broken when they are not in the shop, and as soon as a tech can look at it, everything works.(power door locks, fuel gague).
Anyway the latest is the exhaust filter "again", this time they are replaceing it, which is covered under waranty(lucky for me at 3800 bucks!).Guess what, the trucks warranty is up at 100,000km, I'm at 92,000km. So at less than 2 years old my nice new truck is going to start nickle and dimeing me to death. Because I financed it, trade in value isn't worth what I owe never mind the 1,000 a month that I've spent on payment's. The tech says "these new trucks aren't daily comuter's".??! Look at the milage buddy, I'm pretty sure daily comuter's dont put on 50,000 km a year! Anyway each time the particulate filter in the exhaust has plugged I've been on a long trip(2000km or more). My daily drive is 60-70 km each way at steady rates of speed, no stop and go, I also try to keep the rpm's up at 1700-2000 (6 speed auto).Anyway, hate my truck; wishing I bought a Ford

Quick Reply: need advise 08 gone bad