3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My truck died while driving..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck died while driving..

2007 Dodge 3500 5.9 Dually. I was driving back from lowes, on a very cold day -7 with wind chill & about a mile away from lowes the truck just died! No symptoms at all...I had about 1/4 tank of diesel in the tank. The truck cranks but will not start! I checked the filter and even replaced it had a spare in the truck. Towed home now checking the fuel rail and theres no fuel at the injectors. I cracked open the injector pump and I'm getting fuel from the filter unknow pressure but not to the rail.
I just bought a fuel guage tester to check what pressure i have from the tank.
Could it be that im not getting enough pressure to the Injector pump? I replaced both batteris brand new, air filter new, fuel filter new. Otherwise the truck is just stock with a 5 inch ss pipe. Just a work truck that let me down for now...truck has 273k miles.
I was thinking of buying a fass pump not sure which one if thats the issue or a injector pump. Any help thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Have you considered with those temps that it could be gelling of the fuel? Maybe the first step would be to add some antigell to the fuel, or leave it in a heated place overnight.

Of course it could also be a bad lift pump, FCU or even the injector pump. Get the fuel pressure checked as a first step to avoid just throwing parts at it.

Whatever you do to fix the problem, post it here for others to learn.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got it running after a fass pump

Just a update, been away on vacation but back to work on the diesel.
I bought a fass pump titatium series, nice unit and pricy. after the install I tried to start it and no joy. I disconnected the FCA on the injector pump and the truck came alive little rough Im guessing it needs to be bleeded better. However I did have a dead pedal. It just idles. I ordered a new FCA, should be here in a week and I hope that fixes the issue.

* another issue i have is with the fass pump install i deleted my filter and heater therefore the lines where removed as well. I bought the sinister diesel adapter for the return lines however the lower line that goes back to the tank is no longer in use and the plug they offer is not gonna work unless i make a connecter? anybody have this issue and what was the fix? IM thinking of just clamping a hose on the end and capping it off.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi tincan866. We'd like to help you with this. Give us a call toll free at: (855) 248-2848