3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just drove a 6.7L/68RE and 07 6.6L Dmax

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jalewis
I don't mind the look of the new GMC HD, but the Chevy is downright hideous with all of the chrome.

The GMC site wouldn't let me grab the image, but it's not too different from the one posted above.
Well I have to agree with you on the new Chevy HD. I can't figure out what it really is that just makes me want to vomit at it's sight. It could be the little tiny headlights that look like they are getting sucked off the front end and down the sides of the truck. They look so out of proportion to that gigantic grille, which almost appears larger than the new Ford. At least the Ford's grille and headlights appear to work well together. It also could those ridiculously stupid, horribly ugly GIANT chrome corners on the front bumper. I think it would look tons better with one similar to the GMC's. It also could be that the entire frond end is so big, that the tiny little wheels and tires look like they came off a 1/2 scale truck or something. I just expected better, and it got worse.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM

I've been getting the itch to upgrade to a new truck. I think I've been a good boy and kept mine plenty long. The problem is that after the mods with my 5.9 12v, I'm not really impressed with the power of the new ones. My dad has been a Chevy fan since birth I think. Also, I can actually get a supplier discount price on a GM product. That being said, I just flat don't care for the Chevy. I'm not impressed with the Dmax nor with the Allison. I'm sort of in the business and I've had it drilled into my head that the Allison transmission is not the same Allison transmission that is in a bus or a large dump truck. The dealers report about the same number of problems as the Ford or Dodge. So, for me, the GM is out.

I really like the Ford interior and ride. However, the 6.0 diesel had one of the shortest runs of any diesel engine in history. Besides the engine problems, my next door neighbor is on his 3rd transmission at only 60k miles. Neither of these facts make me overly comfortable with the new, improved, 6.4 from Ford. I'll still have to drive it and see how much a comprehensive extended warranty would add to the cost. I'm a bit concerned about durability, but darn they are good looking!

With the Dodge, I don't think there is any better diesel engine than the Cummins. My '96 12v is nothing short of amazing. I suppose that's part of my problem. With only 130k on the engine and a rock solid ATS transmission in it, I don't think I can say that I need a new truck by any means. My truck has never even sat outside at night. It's just the thought of having a 11 year old truck that worries me. Statistically it could start having all sorts of things go wrong. Oh yeah, I also just put a brand new set of 6 Goodyears on it too. Now, having said that, I still have the itch to have a truck that is newer and actually has 4 doors. I have the extended cab, but only 2 doors.

If the new 6.7 Dodge can yank around my 16k trailer stock the way my modified '96 can, I can picture a new truck in my garage. I'm yet to drive the new 6.7, and I don't see how I could test one with a 16k load behind it on the interstate. If my current 5.9 modified Cummins can haul 16k at 75 mph all the way across the state of Pennsylvania, mountains and all, and never lose speed with the cruise set, could I expect the stock 6.7 to do the same thing? I want to go newer with the truck, but not down in power. Also, is the 6.7 a completely new engine that is not tried and true like the 5.9 is? Man, I'd really like to know about the power with a load and how reliable the 6.7 will be before I go drive one. I have a tendency to get a little impulsive with the ole checkbook if I really like something. Anybody pulled a good load for any distance with the 6.7?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dargo
I've had it drilled into my head that the Allison transmission is not the same Allison transmission that is in a bus or a large dump truck.
is it the same trans as a dump truck? no. Is it just another hydramatic with the allison name slapped on it (like I hear SOOO many people say), no, not at all. It is 100% an "allison", take one apart and you will not see "GM" or "hydramatic" anywhere on it/in it. It also is run by the same TCM (computer) that every computer driven allison is run by. It is identical (except has slightly different gear ratios) to the 2000/2200RDS/2400 transmissions. The 2000 series is used in lots of newer medium duty applications, up to 30,000lbs. It is a large transmission, about 350 pounds dry without torque converter (extra 78 pounds) and without fluid (5 gallons).

In stock form, it will handle no more power than a 48re or torqshift. Anyone who says 'oh its an allison, you'll never break that (stock) trans' is FOS. C3 clutchpack slips, then the converter clutch slips, then the trans goes into limp mode.

If the engine power is left stock, they are more or less bulletproof (no, im not counting NSBU failures, the gear selector switch on the side of the trans) and in most cases will outlive the duramax engine. With proper maintinence they will go 500k or more. (I know, heres where I get the "well my mothers uncles mailman had 3 crap out on him in 45k miles!!")

The hard parts are significantly larger than 48re and torqshift; an allison will go MUCH further on stock hard parts than either of those transmissions. I dont know what a 48re will handle befre billet stuff is needed, but there are guys running 700rwhp on stock allison hard parts. The stock dmax internals will probably fail before you break stock allison hard parts.

unfortunatly you cant have it all in any of the big 3 pickup trucks. You guys have your medium duty engine, we have our medium duty trans. Im not sure what Ford guys have.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM

I'm with you there, I don't think there is a better overall engine than the Cummins, at least for a Diesel and towing. I make the same point everyone else does, look at what's in the big rigs. They're all Inlines, right? If a V configurated engine was better or ideal then that's what you'd see.
If I were you, I would stick with your 12v for at least another 6-12 months. There are still a relatively low number of 6.7's out there but by the time a year passes they'll be all over the place as well as much more feedback from owners about how they have performed individually. I myself would love a bombed 12v! As for the 6.7, my friend who works at Cummins said he believes it's a bored and stroked 5.9 block. I think there are several carry over parts but there is also quite a bit new. That's what I have read - I may be incorrect!

That Ford you mentioned with the 3 trannys, that a 7.3 or 6.0? I could see a 4r100 but a torqshift replaced 3 times by 60k seems kind of rare. That's a stout trans.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
Im not sure what Ford guys have.
Flame throwers.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
I'm with you there, I don't think there is a better overall engine than the Cummins, at least for a Diesel and towing. I make the same point everyone else does, look at what's in the big rigs. They're all Inlines, right? If a V configurated engine was better or ideal then that's what you'd see.
If I were you, I would stick with your 12v for at least another 6-12 months. There are still a relatively low number of 6.7's out there but by the time a year passes they'll be all over the place as well as much more feedback from owners about how they have performed individually. I myself would love a bombed 12v! As for the 6.7, my friend who works at Cummins said he believes it's a bored and stroked 5.9 block. I think there are several carry over parts but there is also quite a bit new. That's what I have read - I may be incorrect!

That Ford you mentioned with the 3 trannys, that a 7.3 or 6.0? I could see a 4r100 but a torqshift replaced 3 times by 60k seems kind of rare. That's a stout trans.

The 4r100 is not really any more stout than the 48re. I know of lots of issues with that tranny. But properly maintained and properly used (read, not over powered) It will last a long time. As will the 48re. But I think that the new 68rfe has addressed alot of these issues, and I think that it is going to be a good rival for the allison transmission.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2007, 05:44 AM

Flame throwers.
You do know that there are several companies who sell aftermarket flame throwers for hot rods, don't you? Maybe it's just an added feature that looks cool.

BTW, my dad worked for Cummins Diesel (large trucks) for many years when I was a child. I grew up with it pounded in my head that there is no "z" in diesel. Now I hear manufacturers pronounce it with a "z" sound. What's up with how "diesel" is pronounced?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 AM

. Anybody pulled a good load for any distance with the 6.7?
I don't know if your are talking about a Cab and Chassis model or a pickup, different transmission and different power ratings on the engine, but I have a 07 cab and chassis with now almost 33,000 miles on it and all I do is tow. I don't believe it will tow as well as yours will because with your mods you have a lot more power. It will tow as much and more than your were talking about with no problems, I'm not going to say it won't lose any speed in the mountains because it will, but as far as towing a load, it will do it. You might be better off waiting until they come out with some aftermarket stuff to get the power up if that's what is important to you, but it will pull anything you want to hook it up to.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
The 4r100 is not really any more stout than the 48re. I know of lots of issues with that tranny. But properly maintained and properly used (read, not over powered) It will last a long time. As will the 48re. But I think that the new 68rfe has addressed alot of these issues, and I think that it is going to be a good rival for the allison transmission.

Kevin
Well that's why I said I could see higher failures in a 4r100 before I could see them in a torqshift.
You do know that there are several companies who sell aftermarket flame throwers for hot rods, don't you? Maybe it's just an added feature that looks cool.

BTW, my dad worked for Cummins Diesel (large trucks) for many years when I was a child. I grew up with it pounded in my head that there is no "z" in diesel. Now I hear manufacturers pronounce it with a "z" sound. What's up with how "diesel" is pronounced?
Yes, I know on the flame throwing hot rods. Just don't think the EPA will enjoy seeing factory flame throwing dual tailpipes. EPA's own fault anyway for forcing the new emissions IMO.

Also I know what you mean on the z for diesel. I specifically remember that DaimlerChrysler dude Dr Z saying some jeep had the "worlds cleanest dieZel" in a commercial.....
Old 04-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Sorry about the bizare posts - cant read them myself now
All I was trying to say about my 08 6.4 L F350 - was I must be lucky because mine runs real strong and improving every day - fuel milage - not improving. If only I could do away with the DPF system.

Im still buying a 3500 4x4 megacab on monday with the 6.7 L. - I hope it runs as strong as my Ford - Ill let ya know & I will be honest.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:54 PM

03,, sorry I missread what you were saying,, lol,, yeah the torqueflight is supposed to be a bunch better,, not as good as the allison, but a good tranny.

Kevin
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by RadRam
Im still buying a 3500 4x4 megacab on monday with the 6.7 L. - I hope it runs as strong as my Ford - Ill let ya know & I will be honest.
That's all that we can ask for!
Originally Posted by morkable
03,, sorry I missread what you were saying,, lol,, yeah the torqueflight is supposed to be a bunch better,, not as good as the allison, but a good tranny.

Kevin
That's cool I misread all the time!
Actually the Torqshifts in Fords are Allison designed and built by Ford, or designed and built by Allison...I can't remember which one it is. GM just has the rights to the name. Also I have found the Torqshift to be the better of the two by a small margin, based on information i've gathered from aftermarket and shop owners.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Banned

Dargo
I will be pulling 13+k through PA on my way to Maryland in July and expect the 6.7 nad 68rfe to outpull my hopped 5.9. As everyone knows there is not substitute for cubic inches except cubic money. The big reason I traded is this truck has 4 new injectors and a new lp so that is 5 walks in the park.
Fred
Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

Actually the Torqshifts in Fords are Allison designed and built by Ford, or designed and built by Alliso.
HAHAHAHA now THIS one I gotta hear more about!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

Was going to add that to last post and got interrupted. So now DORF owns Cummins AND Allison I must have taken a long winters nap and ole Bill bought everything up .
Fred

Quick Reply: Just drove a 6.7L/68RE and 07 6.6L Dmax