3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just drove a 6.7L/68RE and 07 6.6L Dmax

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just drove a 6.7L/68RE and 07 6.6L Dmax

I just got back from driving a the new style Chevrolet truck back to back with a 6.7L Cummins. Both were QCSB 4x4 2500's, brand new, just delivered trucks.

First, the 6.7L Cummins feels stronger than the Duramax! It will spin the tires easier than the Dmax and they both had similar 265 rubber. The Ram actually hazed the tires in 3rd gear, that blew me away. Any time you put it to the floor the truck was struggling for traction. The new GMs are heavier and I believe the Ram would outrun the Dmax. It would beat my 06 5.9L Cummins with the Bullydog on the lower settings for sure.

Second, the exhaust brake on the Ram is the coolest feature I've ever seen on a diesel truck. It sounds a lot like a Jake brake which suprised me being that it works off the turbo not valvetrain, and it really does work awesome.

The engine is amazingly quiet. It definately seems 50% quieter than the 5.9L like they claim... interior noise is also noticeably less.

The VGT turbo lights in a flash, low end response is better than the Duramax.

The new 68RE is an excellent transmission, it seemed "smarter" than the Allison and every bit as solid. It was only revving around 1500 or 1600 rpm at 60 mph as well.

I am completely blown away with this new powertrain and this is coming from someone who was green with envy over the old LBZ Dmax and Allison combo. This is going to be the best towing package around. What the new GM's do have is an amazing interior and decent looks, and the ride was a little smoother, but as far as diesel trucks go I think Dodge has just made a huge leap forward and they're going to sell these things like hotcakes.

I also drove a 6.4L Ford a while back and would prefer the new Cummins and Duramax over it by a long shot.

The reason I actually have been driving these is because my buddy is ordering a truck this week and he got shifted from a guy who was dead set on a Dmax GMC 2500 to wanting a Ram.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 PM

Great info. Guess I have to go try them myself. Can't wait to drive with the 68rfe.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Great write up,, but I have one correction for you,, the chevy is considerably lighter than the ram. It is so much lighter in fact that the 2500 chevy has more load carrying capacity and trailer towing capacity than the 3500 dodge. That being said, I am still up in the air.... I just drove a chevy today, mind you the 07 old style one, but it sure drove nice, mighty tempted, and it was considerably less expensive than the dodge. Over 2 grand difference on the first comeback from the dealers

Kevin
Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 PM

Yeah, but V8 diesels just sound so lame.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 PM

I just drove a chevy today, mind you the 07 old style one, but it sure drove nice, mighty tempted, and it was considerably less expensive than the dodge. Over 2 grand difference on the first comeback from the dealers
If you are spending over 35K for a truck what is another 2 grand?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM

I agree, but Im not sure that there is a huge differnce between for the average use, that is why I am listening here. And trust me I am a dodge man, love my 03. But I have to watch the pocket book too

Kevin

Oh and I wish it was only 35 grand,, more like 60+ here
Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM

money

Any of the three big trucks will work fine for the average person. You are right, it all comes down to personal choice and cost. I love to see all the big, lifted dodge trucks in my city that have a tow package that will never be used. Diesel trucks have truely become grocery getting machines for 95% of their owners...

I will get a 07 Dodge as soon as I can find a used one with a exhaust brake in my area. I want to let someone else take the intial hit on the "New" price tag.

Dave
Old 03-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I gotta stay out of the 6.7L forums! Just got my truck paid off and now thinking the 6.7L/6spd auto is one sweet ride!
And my wife will be doing this....

MikeyB
Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

on the quieter note, we all know that these engines loosen up auick, and then let them selves be heard, then we do things to them, cut off perfectly good ss exhaust systems, remove noise killing intake stuff...... granted yes, new is quiet, but only till we drive em like we stole em.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
Great write up,, but I have one correction for you,, the chevy is considerably lighter than the ram. It is so much lighter in fact that the 2500 chevy has more load carrying capacity and trailer towing capacity than the 3500 dodge. That being said, I am still up in the air.... I just drove a chevy today, mind you the 07 old style one, but it sure drove nice, mighty tempted, and it was considerably less expensive than the dodge. Over 2 grand difference on the first comeback from the dealers

Kevin
Sorry I didn't mean heavier than the Dodge, I meant heavier than before. The old LBZ trucks would probably be quicker than the new GMT900 chassis and the LBM or whatever the new one is called with the weight difference.

Have you drove a 6.7L/68RE yet? Capital Dodge has got a QCSB 4x4 2500 Sport package in black if you want to drive one.

The old GMs are super cheap because they are trying to get them off the lots... not that its a bad thing, but these new GMT900s are a lot nicer IMO. Then again, they are asking about $6k more for them vs a Dodge with the same options.

All it took was a drive in one and I was blown away over how different the truck is compared to my 2006 with just the different powertrain.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:26 PM

I didnt realize at first you were from edmonton. I might have to make a trip up to edmonton to try that, it dosent look like we are going to be getting any here til may. I have to admit my first instinct is to go for the dodge, but,,,, that particulate filter worries me, especially seeing as we dont have USLD in any pumps yet. And the price is considerably higher on the dodge, I would more than enough left over to put a exhaust brake on the chevy... It is a tough decision

Kevin
Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM

You don't have ULSD yet? That's wierd, there's been ULSD here in Edmonton and back in N.E Alberta where our trucks work for a long time now. I thought all refineries would have switched over to ULSD as of Jan 1, unless it was farm diesel or something like that.

I'd really recommend taking one for a drive... I think it would push you away from the GM. I really wasn't expecting it too be that good lol. I got quoted for a huge amount off MSRP so I don't think these guys in Edmonton are going to try gouging you over the new style powertrain too much, it might be different up north in GP or Fort Mac though where everyone's got fat wallets lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
I didnt realize at first you were from edmonton. I might have to make a trip up to edmonton to try that, it dosent look like we are going to be getting any here til may. I have to admit my first instinct is to go for the dodge, but,,,, that particulate filter worries me, especially seeing as we dont have USLD in any pumps yet. And the price is considerably higher on the dodge, I would more than enough left over to put a exhaust brake on the chevy... It is a tough decision

Kevin

I thought all of the three new trucks had particulate filters?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM

The Duramax also uses a DPF. There's some interesting reading here on the new D max.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:27 PM

I think he means a pre-Jan 2007 built GM thats on the lots. They can be called a 2007 and still just use the regular catalytic converter. Just like the 2007 Dodge's with the 5.9L.

The new GMT900 GM trucks (new body style + new emissions systems) are far more money than a 6.7L Cummins Ram, but he's comparing the old 2007 GM to a 6.7 Ram.

Quick Reply: Just drove a 6.7L/68RE and 07 6.6L Dmax