3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

INjector problem solving thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INjector problem solving thread

OK so it seams these injectors are a bit on the finiky side. my fathers 08 just went under the knife for four new ones(under warranty-thank GOD) and they can't seem to tell me why.......? so i NEED to know why so we don't have to do this again. My 06 is runnin strong at 102k so i would like to get my fathers up to that level.

what is required to accomplish this? better filtration, more often filter change. we change our FF every other oil change at 4500 miles an oil change. Regular no.2 low sulfur diesel from the pump is the only thing run in our trucks.

at $1500 a pop without labor i don't see how we can afford not come up with a good solution......

what causes the failures and how can we prevent it? lets hear it
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 PM

Nobody? well i called the dealer today and they told me they had no idea what caused the 4 injectors to fail.......

well i called cummins NW and they quoted me a price on the very same injectors that dodge is selling us (for 1500), CNW price was 465

ya less than 1/3 the price?! wow dodge sure is doing a fantastic job of ripping off the warranty company and any average joe that doesn't do his home work.....
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Tinbanger, I do not know for sure this will help, but the Duramax boys are convinced that a good 2 micron filtration system is helping them out.

If I had a common rail, I would spend the money to put a good one on.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM

Make sure to look for the new fuel filters that were announced this year. They are a two stage design. It should be on any 6.7s built after January from what I understand
Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jkitterman
Make sure to look for the new fuel filters that were announced this year. They are a two stage design. It should be on any 6.7s built after January from what I understand
so is it an upgrade that can be bolted on or should we just go with an after market setup
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM

It is a stock replacement. Your dealer may have it. Link from Cummins Filteration http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/td/ramffws.html
part number FS43257, Mopar 68061633AA
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

It would be a plus if Dodge or Cummins would come up with a filter that actually drains the way the owner's manual says. I've turned drain valve 2 complete revolutions and waited a long time, yet nothing came out.

My theory is that owners can't drain the filter and the WIF light might not always work. Did your dealer find any water in the system? Did they take a sample from the tank?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dale_K
It would be a plus if Dodge or Cummins would come up with a filter that actually drains the way the owner's manual says. I've turned drain valve 2 complete revolutions and waited a long time, yet nothing came out.

My theory is that owners can't drain the filter and the WIF light might not always work. Did your dealer find any water in the system? Did they take a sample from the tank?
To drain the fuel filter the trick is to open the valve just a little bit and turn the key to the ON position for just a second or two. You'll get quite a bit of fuel drained quickly and less messy this way.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Did they take a sample from the tank?
they said that if the fuel was the issue, (water in fuel or bad fuel) that they wouldn't cover it under warranty, so i figure the fuel couldn't be that bad.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM

I tried turning the key on but the fuel seemed to come out at the top of the filter, not the drain. Definitely no water but I wouldn't expect any if it was only pushing fuel past the top gasket. Sorry to highjack your injector thread with filter questions.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 AM

If fuel is coming out near the top of the filter, you must have already loosened it. Get it draining out the bottom using the key trick if you need to, then loosen the filter to drain the majority of the fuel in the filter when doing a change.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM

I tried turning the key on but the fuel seemed to come out at the top of the filter, not the drain. Definitely no water but I wouldn't expect any if it was only pushing fuel past the top gasket. Sorry to highjack your injector thread with filter questions.
hey hey hey lets keep it to a min
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Filters

What were the symtoms before you took it in, none of the local dealer ships have fuel filters where I live.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tinbanger
OK so it seams these injectors are a bit on the finiky side. my fathers 08 just went under the knife for four new ones(under warranty-thank GOD) and they can't seem to tell me why.......? so i NEED to know why so we don't have to do this again. My 06 is runnin strong at 102k so i would like to get my fathers up to that level.

what is required to accomplish this? better filtration, more often filter change. we change our FF every other oil change at 4500 miles an oil change. Regular no.2 low sulfur diesel from the pump is the only thing run in our trucks.

at $1500 a pop without labor i don't see how we can afford not come up with a good solution......

what causes the failures and how can we prevent it? lets hear it
See Red Bolded in Quote...

Aren't the 6.7L's supposed to run on ULSD only, not LSD.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
See Red Bolded in Quote...

Aren't the 6.7L's supposed to run on ULSD only, not LSD.
LSD won't hurt the injectors, it'll plug your DPF.

Quick Reply: INjector problem solving thread