3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Have an HO 03, Should I trade it in for an 07 6.x

Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have an HO 03, Should I trade it in for an 07 6.x

I have an 03 HO 70k miles on it, Should I trade it in for a new 07 or 08 6 liter ?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, only way I would get rid of my '03 if it's stolen, wrecked or burns to the ground.
But if I had to get a new truck it would be the 6.7L.

MikeyB
Old 11-08-2007, 01:47 PM

I'll bet you'll find the responses will work to confuse you. 5.9 or 6.7, there's pros and cons either way. You can buy yesterday's technology or tomorrow's technology and there's strong arguments for both.

Personally, I chose tomorrow's technology for the simple reason of I don't see manufacturers going backwards and I didn't want to become outdated in a brand new purchase. Just my opinion guys.

And do you think the aftermarket industry will continue to focus on 5.9 technology or will they move their resources to fill the needs of the latest offering?

But, it's your decision. Buy something that fits your lifestyle and be happy.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:51 PM

You still have a lot of years and miles left in your '03. Use those up first and then go with what will be the latest and greatest.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Is it paid for? That should be a big part of your decision. If its paid for, I'd keep the 03 and start putting money aside for an 07/08. Two trucks is better than one.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM

I contemplated this myself. I drove all the new diesels and I still have my '03. They all have better ride, better gadgets and creature comforts. My '03 gets awesome fuel mileage, has never (knock on wood) had an issue and is a pretty dang nice truck. The power is still fine with the small tow module I use. Oh I didn't mention it is $300 a month cheaper on payment and $60 cheaper on fuel, give or take $20. Throw in the emission issues that Dodge is having with the 6.7L and poor fuel economy it just isn't worth it. To be honest I would be hard pressed not to buy a GMC HD4 instead of the Dodge If I had to buy a truck this year. I am a little tired of the same old looks in and out. The GMC is ugly on the outside but VERY nice on the inside. For what I use a truck for the smallish independent front suspension would do fine. The Ford is out of the question due to price, HORRID fuel economy and no guts. The Ford does win the best exterior look for me.

I say keep the '03 for one more year. See if they resolve the emission issues and see if the fuel economy improves.

Just my $.02
one4
Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM

I love my 6.7, but at the same time I contemplated trading it in for a 5.9 because I was so tired of the crappy mpg, and having all these reflashes and cel's... If the dealer had a 5.9 SRW Megacab sitting there and told me I could have it and pay no difference, I would probably have traded... Just so I dont have to worry about this DPF etc or not being able to mod my truck etc...

Now with that said, the 6.7 in stock format does have more power, and seems like a better setup. And when they figure out a way around the DPF problems, then I see the 6.7 becoming the much better investment.

But if you do get a new one, dont get sucked into the less expensive quad cab... the new MEGACAB (even though it looks subpar when stock with little wheels etc) is SO BIG AND SO NICE YOU WILL WISH YOU HAD IT! My kids LOVE the extra space, and so do I!!! No more feet in my back, and still plenty of room for my road side emergency kit, blanket, spare jacket, extra shop towels, etc etc etc... (and a small tool box too)...

GO MEGA OR GO HOME...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 PM

Just say no to the MANVAN.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Monkey 456
Just say no to the MANVAN.
Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flattman

And do you think the aftermarket industry will continue to focus on 5.9 technology or will they move their resources to fill the needs of the latest offering?

ABSOLUTELY YES......Look at teh F.I. Mustang 5.0, made from 86-95, been out of production for 12 YEARS, and STILL just about the hottest aftermarket going for it. The CTD is along the same lines of teh Mustang 5.0.

You make good points for both, but I HAD to answer that question for ya

It's like this, if I am in teh market for a new diesel, ABSOLUTELY I am buying a 6.7, but I am not. I have my trusty 5.9, and as mentioned above, will be with me until it is stolen or burned to the ground, and once that takes place, a new CTD will find a home in my garage
Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 AM

I agree.

I must say that I would trade my quad long for a mega cab. I don't have a gooseneck or 5th wheel to haul either, but even then I'd still get the megacab.

The biggest disappointment I have is that you can't get the mega-cab with the 45/5500.

Sorry to get OT, I would not sell yuor 5.9L. Your just getting to the sweet spot in FE and performance. Added to the problems they are having and not knowing if you are going to get "a good one" or "a bad one", I would wait at least one year, maybe just before they come out with the new body style?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
ABSOLUTELY YES......Look at teh F.I. Mustang 5.0, made from 86-95, been out of production for 12 YEARS, and STILL just about the hottest aftermarket going for it. The CTD is along the same lines of teh Mustang 5.0.
I can see your point. Just not sure if the production numbers and demand for cheap, highly modable high mileage diesels will result in the same interest. Especially if the price of diesel continues its trend.

But I never was good at trend spotting though.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Personally, only way I would get rid of my '03 if it's stolen, wrecked or burns to the ground.

MikeyB
Amen, Mikey. With emissions controls and fuel prices going wild, in 10 years the '03 and early '04 HO trucks will be sought after much like the '98 12-valve QC's.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM

Routerguy99, I'm sure there are a lot of folks that would happily take that 305/555 powered truck off your hands. All the hpcr technology, no cat or 3rd injection event, no dpf, no egr, just free breathing cummins power.. I just wish I had bought a second one when I got mine to put away and use when mine dies...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 AM

The 305/555 seems to be a well balanced package, offering decent power, less complexity, better mileage, and probably a cleaner burn than later offerings.

I like my 235/460 as it may do best in the most boring performance parameter, egine life, as it evidently runs cooler than the other 3rd gen engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have an HO 03, Should I trade it in for an 07 6.x