3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Goerend 68 RFE T/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend 68 RFE T/C

Been working with Dave last couple of months on 68 RFE T/C. Dave built a couple Triple Disks and several modified stock T/C's. I think we finally have a couple winning combos. Its gonna be a while until the triples are out, but the moddified stock T/C's are awesome. We were able to lower the stall a lot lower with the 68 and still have really nice spool up. The factory 68 shifts well when HP is stock, but when the power goes up there is very little RPM drop between shifts. It was almost like the more I turned it up the slower the truck got with the factory T/C and facory stator . When Dave and I started plugging in different Stall speed stators, the RPM drop got greater and greater even at 500 HP at the wheels. The last stator Dave tried is the best. If guys stick with the stock turbo it will really be a nice T/C. If the turbo is changed, Dave has a medium stall that will work very well.
Between the lower stall stator, factory Dual Disk, close gear changes, and a little extra line pressure, we think the the factory T/C housing should work fine and save everybody some money. Towing with the truck is heaven now. Less throttle and it motivates. I'm so happy after this last Stator swap. Its just kept on getting better and better. After 2K miles, no codes and my 6.7 has jumped from 12.5 MPG to 19.2 MPG.
This was just a little FYI. I've had guys calling me asking why there trans seemed to shift weird while towing and I think Dave has got it all figured out. Next thing we need to do is beef up the clutch packs with more surface area or more piston apply pressure. One thing at a time I guess. Richard
Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Sounds awesome! Now just figure out how to swap em in older Cummins trucks and yippee
Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Reb.B
After 2K miles, no codes and my 6.7 has jumped from 12.5 MPG to 19.2 MPG.
Is that with just the TC Change or are you talking about stock versus a load of mod's???

OG
Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oilguy
Is that with just the TC Change or are you talking about stock versus a load of mod's???

OG
would like to know the same thing. if it is just the T/C then it is a no brainer to have dave build you one!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought that TC might be just like a normal Dodge TC, loose. It's just the extra gears that cover up how bad it is compared to the 48re. Now I am glad as the dickens I keep what I have. I drove the new trucks, but with no load it is near impossible to tell how it will do loaded heavy. You just made my day!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Mileage was with everything. A better T/C will only help in town when it is Not locked up. In town mileage should go up like crazy. You are at least 25% more effient with this lower stall. The 68 has the exact same stator as the 48. With the shifts being so close (which is a good thing) and the T/C being so loose (which is a bad thing) is a mush bucket when you haul heavy or turn the truck up. With the new T/C, it shifts like it should. You can feel the truck moving now.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Mileage was with everything. A better T/C will only help in town when it is Not locked up. In town mileage should go up like crazy. You are at least 25% more effient with this lower stall. The 68 has the exact same stator as the 48. With the shifts being so close (which is a good thing) and the T/C being so loose (which is a bad thing) is a mush bucket when you haul heavy or turn the truck up. With the new T/C, it shifts like it should. You can feel the truck moving now.
you mind me asking what else you have done to it. sure am curious. Pm me if you would like.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeap, you confirmed my suspesions....... Glad I keep my truck and stuck the Goerend goodies in it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by elirandolph
you mind me asking what else you have done to it. sure am curious. Pm me if you would like.
Reb.B Could you PM me also... I am sure you can't post in in the thread due to the "Terms of Use" clause.

OG
Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Done a bunch of stuff, 3 boxes, exhaust, T/C. Its real simple. Fuel, air, ignition, and effiency. Put the fuel in earlier, for a more complete burn, put it in at a higher pressure to atomize better and get a more complete burn and have less waste of drivetrain horsepower and less waste of unburnt fuel going through the exhaust.
Dave should have numbers by middle of next week on T/C. There will different numbers on different effiecency stators.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Bump...sounds good
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do update this when you get some numbers from Dave along with whats needs to be done to get the mpg improvement's.