3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Filter Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter Warning

Went into the local dealership today and they had this printed on 8 1/2 X 11 sheets in the showroom. It says 'Ask for Details' so I asked the 'General Manager' if he could see anything wrong with it. He couldn't until I pointed out that anyone volunteering to supply details should, at least, know how to spell CUMMINS! He didn't see the irony or humor in it so I left
Old 02-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Interesting note about the dirt or water in the bowl of the filter housing when D.C. made ALL THESE TRUCKS WITH UNCAPPED VENTS IN THE SHALLOW OF THE TOP SECTION OF THE FUEL TANK!!!!! I think THEY ought to have a note saying IF WATER OR DIRT IN YOUR FUEL BOWL ITS D.C. ISSUE and will be paid for by the MANUFACTURE due to a manufactering flaw that D.C.forgot to correct for 3 MODEL YEARS.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Every time I have changed my filter I have found dirt in the bottom of the bowl... I change mine every 10K. Something sounds fishy here. Haven't heard that at all at my dealership.....
Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 PM

I agree 100% with Hounddog. When I did the tank vent mod I was shocked to see the uncapped vents, sitting in a depression of the tank. If I had off-roaded this truck as I did with trucks in my earlier years, I would have had mud in the tank. I also wonder why Dodge recalled the 06's to get the 7 micron filter installed but not the 03's-05's. Of course this was after Bosch told them to use 5 micron filters. Todays new truck buyer is simply a "Beta" tester for the upcoming platform.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Interesting note about the dirt or water in the bowl of the filter housing when D.C. made ALL THESE TRUCKS WITH UNCAPPED VENTS IN THE SHALLOW OF THE TOP SECTION OF THE FUEL TANK!!!!! I think THEY ought to have a note saying IF WATER OR DIRT IN YOUR FUEL BOWL ITS D.C. ISSUE and will be paid for by the MANUFACTURE due to a manufactering flaw that D.C.forgot to correct for 3 MODEL YEARS.
That is why you must drain the fuel BEFORE changing the filter.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
When I installed my big line kit, I almost crapped when I saw all the mud and stuff in my tank! I would almost think that someone poured a mud pie in my tank to be mean. There was also stuff getting in my filler neck where the rubber clamp meets the metal. GO figure!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nwjetboat
I agree 100% with Hounddog. When I did the tank vent mod I was shocked to see the uncapped vents, sitting in a depression of the tank. If I had off-roaded this truck as I did with trucks in my earlier years, I would have had mud in the tank. I also wonder why Dodge recalled the 06's to get the 7 micron filter installed but not the 03's-05's. Of course this was after Bosch told them to use 5 micron filters. Todays new truck buyer is simply a "Beta" tester for the upcoming platform.
I didn't know anything about this...what mod do I need to make with the vent and how ??
Old 02-09-2007, 08:19 PM

As long as the Cummins warranty statys intact, I wouldn't get too worried about the CumminGs one.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:19 PM

They can't limit what filters you use, if they do they have to pay for them by law!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS
They can't limit what filters you use, if they do they have to pay for them by law!
They can limit the filters that you use, at least from the standpoint of the old "meets or exceeds OEM" standards language. If they can prove (usually not possible) that the problem came from installation of a substandard part, say bye bye...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 AM
wrm

does anyone know when an if the vent problem was corrected ?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mj007
Went into the local dealership today and they had this printed on 8 1/2 X 11 sheets in the showroom. It says 'Ask for Details' so I asked the 'General Manager' if he could see anything wrong with it. He couldn't until I pointed out that anyone volunteering to supply details should, at least, know how to spell CUMMINS! He didn't see the irony or humor in it so I left
--------------------
mj007:

Good job on posting that information!

Our dealerships down here don't have that exact poster, but the Service Writers/Service Technicians will bring that issue up to the customer if they see an "aftermarket" filter as described in the vehicle during service work. Also, another big issue is the use of aftermarket oil filters especially Fram!
Cummins has found that some of the filters will come apart internally and send the filter media through the engine sometimes causing engine failure!
I have seen the inside of one (1) Dodge CTD 24 valve engine that this occurred on and it is hard to believe until you see it that filter debris could cause this type of problem!

Some of you asked about the vent problem and if it was fixed. The problem being discussed here is a national RECALL by Daimler Chrysler to 2006 Dodge CTD CR Trucks that were built in late fall 2005 to those built up to February
1, 2006. The title of the actual recall is "D/C F-19 Rollover Valve Tank Vent Hole Recall." According to my buddy Tom Sessions @ "D&E Dodge" in Wilmington, N.C. this recall affected some 69,300 2006 Dodge CTD CR Trucks!
Thanks Tom! They have done the recall on a bunch of trucks affected here.

--------
John_P
Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John, are you talking about the two vent nipples on the top of the tank that were left open until early '05? My (later) '05 had both vents with hoses to prevent water or debris from entering.

Since you quoted an '06 recall, I was wondering what the difference is.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't one of the functions of the filter bowl to hold dirt and water? Even in the manual states to wipe the bottom of the bowl for debris.

MikeyB
Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
XLR8R:

Yes, those are the ones we are referring to.

On the 2006 models they made a change to the tank itself. The later model tanks have an "indentation" in them that I did not see on the 05's. Those vent
hoses in the 06's are actually down in that indentation and if water gets in there (during rain etc.) it "pools" in that area allowing the water to get into the vent hole and from there into the fuel tank. I recently helped a buddy install a "Glacier Fuel System" and this is the first time I saw the redesign on the plastic fuel tanks. As I recall, on your tank and most of the 05's that indentation is not there, and the vents sit more "flush" so the water does not "back-up" as it is doing on those 06's. Hope that helps you some.
Hope my explanation was clear.

--------
John_P

Quick Reply: Filter Warning