3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Filter Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks John - my late-build '05 has depressions in the tank top where the vents are... maybe they redesigned for '06 and I got one of the new ones?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
XLR8R:

You are welcome!

Yes, that is a possibility! You may very well have one of the new styled tanks and part of the "fix" in that recall is to install those rubber hoses to get the end of the vent out of that standing/pooling water in that indentation.
The 2006 Trucks manafactured AFTER that February 1, 2006 build date supposedly have the modification done to them from the factory.

-----------------
Guys, as far as a new Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Owner using any type of filter (air, fuel or oil) in their truck OTHER than a D/C recommended Fleetguard, Mopar, or Cummins brand, D/C or the dealer may not initially deny a warranty claim. BUT,....in cases I have personally seen down here IF they determine that the cause of an engine failure is from a defective or sub-standard filter (as the example I gave of the Fram Oil Filters) they can and have made owners sign a "written liability clause" between them, D/C and the dealer, saying the failure was caused by the part, with a warning to the owner that IF they use OTHER THAN THE RECOMMENDED PARTS and they have a failure, that D/C, nor the dealer will be responsible for any future warranty repairs. Now if anybody is that stupid then IMO, they are just asking for trouble!

--------
John_P
Old 02-10-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ones on my 03 are in a depression.All kinds of road grime was sitting in them.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
XLR8R:

You are welcome!

Yes, that is a possibility! You may very well have one of the new styled tanks and part of the "fix" in that recall is to install those rubber hoses to get the end of the vent out of that standing/pooling water in that indentation.
The 2006 Trucks manafactured AFTER that February 1, 2006 build date supposedly have the modification done to them from the factory
So I have a build date of 10/2005, do I have the new style tank? I looked at the rear part of the tank and saw a 1 foot section of hose attached to the vent and the hose just went no where. Is this the DC mod/fix?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Thundercloud:

It sounds to me like your truck has the modification done to it. If your truck was one of the ones in the recall, you would have received a letter from Daimler Chrysler by now.

--------
John_P
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After seeing this post I have 2 questions/comments that are not fully 07 mrelated but may be.

I have an 04.5 and recently pruchased a 7 micron filter from my local Cummins dealer. After 1500 miles truck started missing and running very rough after first starting. After warm up (I'm in Flordia for now so cold weather is not the issue) truck seemed to run OK including WOT runs. After 5 or so days put back in a new stock filter and now truck runs fine....no missing first start etc. Wondering if the finer filter created too much draw for cool fuel to draw thru it causing fuel starvation?

Second comment.
When I had a major engine failure last year dealer gave me a very hard time last year over my Baldwin fuel filter. By "letting" them change it back to a Fleetguard filter they quit raising he$$ with me and finished fixing truck with no more warranty questions/issues that they started raising. Just glad I had a new Fleetguard filter under the front seat or they would have charged me $49 for filter. As it was I had to pay 1/2 hour labor for the change but under the coircumstances it was a cheap repair. This repair included replacing the 4th pressure relief valve by 35K miles.

The above is mostly FYI but comments about the filter issue are appreciated.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Donhov, do you have the new LP? I see you have a Short Bed. Did you install some hose on your roll over vents? I did on my 04.5 but it is a long bed. I was able to blow through both vents with a half a tank of fuel. Wondering if you are getting trash causing your injector issues. You might have a dirty tank pushing dirty fuel plugging the 7 Micron filter...... Just a thought....

I saw a poor soul at the crappy five star dealer near by. He had some serious issues. They saw he had a very low runtime, had ran off road fuel, so they flagged his warranty. He also had 2 bad injectors. Possible he had a programer but I would be all over them about the probable open roll over valves. He had trash in his fuel system. It was a 3500 4x4 Dually long bed so I know his vents were open if it was not an 06'. Couldn't help myself. I told them they better check those vents before they got to out of hand. If it was me!!!!!!!! Better let it end their. Other dealers in the area are excellent. Had my experience with them with my company 01' Durango but that is another story....more like Star Wars triliogy.....
Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 AM

First off, this is a great site.(first post)

I recently picked up an 07, and noticed the open vents on the top of the tank. I was originally concerned that the fill cap was not vented.(Diesel experience)
The vents on the top of the 07 tank are 90 degree elbows and are not resting on the tank like the earlier models. I too will be mounting some hose on to these elbows and raising them as high as possible and pointing them aft.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge went back to no hose/filter on the tank vents?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
When I installed my big line kit, I almost crapped when I saw all the mud and stuff in my tank! I would almost think that someone poured a mud pie in my tank to be mean. There was also stuff getting in my filler neck where the rubber clamp meets the metal. GO figure!
This site must really be a moral test for you with naughty language not being allowed!