3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Filter minder

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter minder

Does anyone have the same experience I'm having. For the last 15K miles I've blown out my factory filter every 5K, and finally replaced it with a new one at 15K because it would pull the filter minder about half way if I get on the pedal hard. Well I had the new Fram replacement in there for a week, and I can already pull the minder half way if I get on it. It's either
the Fram is real restrictive , or the filter minder is worthless
as an idiot light on the dash.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Do not blow out your factory filter, you are just causing damage to the media. The filter minder is working fine. You just have to leave it alone and only change the filter when it gets up near 70-75%. They don't show filter life on a linear scale. Mine has been just fine. I have 37,000 miles on it and it is showing at about 50%. The filter minder is easy to pull down.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sprinter17
Does anyone have the same experience I'm having. For the last 15K miles I've blown out my factory filter every 5K, and finally replaced it with a new one at 15K because it would pull the filter minder about half way if I get on the pedal hard. Well I had the new Fram replacement in there for a week, and I can already pull the minder half way if I get on it. It's either
the Fram is real restrictive , or the filter minder is worthless
as an idiot light on the dash.
Yeah, I was pulling mine between an 1/8 and a 1/4 with WOT and the stock filter so I cut out the intake side of the airbox some and removed the foam seal on the inside of the fender. It doesn't pull but a wee (1/16 ?) now under the same conditions and I'm still using the same, stock filter. I also noticed that the amount of bugs, grass, etc. on the filter's surface has been greatly reduced. Oh, and I do blow the filter out with air hose occasionally.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up

Buy the Amsoil NanoFiber Drop-In replacement filter and a Cool www.dieselpowerproducts.com Hose and your troubles will be solved.
Then you really can blow it out with shop air. Every 25K. The filter is good for 100K No oil, no chemicals, no fuss no muss.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by DrDiesel
Buy the Amsoil NanoFiber Drop-In replacement filter and a Cool www.dieselpowerproducts.com Hose and your troubles will be solved.
Then you really can blow it out with shop air. Every 25K. The filter is good for 100K No oil, no chemicals, no fuss no muss.
Yeah, I looked at that on their page and I'm gonna try one.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM

There's no need to blow out an air filter, as bugs, leaves, etc don't have an effect on filter plugging. Fine dust and carbon is what plugs the filter, and you won't blow much of this out. You could put a hole in the paper media by blowing, and there goes an expensive engine.............ouch!!!

The Filter Mnder will tell when you are getting restriction.