3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"FAKE" CODES - fed up

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caper Thanks for the USEFUL input!!!

I'm now at 35K and I can GUARANTEE you that less than 1,000 in light load! It is always on the highway at 65+ and over 50% towing more than 12K lbs!

No City driving here!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:59 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much more do you need? I can copy and paste every tsb and recall for your truck if you want, but unless you have the capability to flash update your own computer, the dealer is the only answer to get your codes resolved. As said before, ( and I have to agree ) a code is just an indicator to send a technician in the right direction to diagnose a problem. A code does not mean that a particular sensor needs replaced. Sorry if I unknowingly simplified that. HOWEVER! With all the bulletins and recalls that are available why not just have the truck flashed with the latest software and see if that fixes your problem? We can talk about it all day, but due to your location, I'm unable to do much for you , other than to offer the advice that I already have. Nothing against Caper, but was there something not useful about my previous advice? You should be upset with your dealer for #1 charging you to clear codes and #2 not doing the applicable flash updates. Unfortunately, the dealer is your only answer other than clearing the codes every so often with your new code reader. How will you know if there is really a problem or not? You wont. Get the updates man.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was told a similar explanation for my 6codes that keep coming back. Some are erroneous codes or something like that and not to worry about them. If I had to go back to the dealer everytime these codes popped up, they would have to be paying me to go.
Since my warranty was VOID for purchasing in the USA I suppose that is a mute point. However, I can overlook the engine light for now as the truck does run fine. Its just hard on fuel and I plan to resolve that issue myself with whatever measures I can take. I really like the truck and the features, just kicking myself for not waiting a bit longer. I do this all the time.

Another interesting item is that, apparently the smog stuff on these trucks if registered in Canada falls under the provincial laws, not federal laws. Since Saskatchewan has no immediate plans for smog rules, I will be addressing this as soon as there is a viable/proven solution.

This past trip hauling a 5er up north, I had an opportunity to speak with a guy that had what sounded like a heavily BOMBed 5.9 and it turned out to be a 6.7 of which he claims he gets 22 mpg empty and 14 towing ever since he did some alterations.

I hope I have not violated any rules on the site by mentioning this.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:07 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Originally Posted by Scotty
I was told a similar explanation for my 6codes that keep coming back. Some are erroneous codes or something like that and not to worry about them. If I had to go back to the dealer everytime these codes popped up, they would have to be paying me to go.
Since my warranty was VOID for purchasing in the USA I suppose that is a mute point. However, I can overlook the engine light for now as the truck does run fine.

Overlook the light all you want. If a REAL problem were to occur, you'll never know! Good luck with that......let me know how it works out for ya.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My CEL has been lit virtually continually for the past seversal weeks. I had already been to the dealer for the G-30 recall but there seems to be not much they can do about the CEL problem. They just shrug their shoulders and recommend we wait for D/C to come up with something. I have to admit I'm on their side to some extent. Replacing parts isn't going to solve the underlying issue of emissions equipment that needs re-engineering. I'm trying to ignore the constantly on CEL for now but after the holidays I'll make a big enough stink and try to get this issue resolved once and for all. I don't like having to drive a brand new $$$ truck around with a CEL indicator telling me something's wrong that can't be fixed.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/SRW/SB/4X4/6-speed man/Big Horn Edition/16k Husky manual slider hitch
Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by vzdude
Overlook the light all you want. If a REAL problem were to occur, you'll never know! Good luck with that......let me know how it works out for ya.
I think you need to back off with your attitude of supposed knowledge just a bit.
I know what the codes are and I know what can cause the codes...I also know what to look for as far as a tell tale sign or signs of something more serious then just a CEL/MIL. Believe me...I check it out, but not with much help from the dealer since Dodge felt it prudent to can my warranty.

Since you live in Indiana...and I am there often, perhaps we can hook up and you can solve this for me? Right now the REAL problem is Dodge has not got all the answers...and that appears to be a common problem with all the new stuff on these vehicles.

Maybe if there where more people like you with an agressive attitude towards the problem of all the folks with the MIL/CEL, it would not be as much of an annoyance.

One good example of an issue that Dodge was not able to resolve was with my 04 Ram. I kept getting steam out of the fuel tank and the lift pumps where dying in rapid succession. I determined that the cascade valve in the CP3 was messing up...I did not have the exact way to prove this other then to put another CP3 on the truck. Dodge said since there where no codes they were unable to resolve the problem with anything other then replacing the lift pump. After nine of the pumps under warranty, even the intank updated ones...I put a Walbro pump on and it died. So I bought a CP3 put it on the truck and the problem was solved. Did Dodge recognize this as a solution? No, because they did not do it. However, it solved my problem and the core did have internal issues.

So even not getting a CEL/MIL can pose a problem.

Scotty
Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

My point was not to ignore the light. Problems don't fix themselves or go away majically. Sorry to single you out, but too many people think "Oh, just the CEL, no big deal it's just emissions junk". I do agree that Dodge has yet to have all the bugs worked out of this system, but without people getting the updates, they don't know if they work or not. There are numerous things that can cause the engine to fail to start, stall at highway speeds, cause very poor acceleration, ect. , and most of them will turn on a check engine lamp. Any of those conditions can also cause a potential for safety issues for the driver and anyone else who shares the road with that vehicle. Since you are in Indiana quite often, I hope you take it seriously as I am on the roads a lot. My advice was to the original poster, and to you also Scotty, just keep it up to date when updates are available, and keep in check with the codes. I'm sure you know you can check them yourself. Just make sure there aren't any "new" ones from time to time. As for the knowledge, I claim not to be an expert by any means, but I am an A.S.E. Master Certified Technician, and also am Chrysler Bronze and Silver Certified. Had I continued my work with a dealership, I would have been Gold Certified several years ago. I know ......you can certify anything you want, but fellas let me tell ya, I paid attention in those classes and I had a lot of good customers because of it. The dealer I worked for went from a 67% FFV ( Fixed First Visit) to 99.7% in the 6 years I was the shop foreman. They do not have that kind of FFV% now. You can take this "advise" for what it's worth, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. You opened yourself up for critisism as soo as you hit the post reply button.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too lost my warranty by buying in the USA.... but if these were "real cades" as I sated - why do they not come back after thousands of miles???????
Old 12-16-2007, 09:37 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Originally Posted by myfirsttruck
I too lost my warranty by buying in the USA.... but if these were "real cades" as I sated - why do they not come back after thousands of miles???????
That makes more sense as to why they were charging you to erase the codes at least. Too bad that they hadn't informed you on the updates. There are several reasons a code is set. Some of the ones you had listed were "rationality" codes. Just means that the info the ecm was seeing from one or more sensors wasn't making sense compared to what the ecm was told to expect to see. A lot of the updates, or flashes, change what the ecm is supposed to look for. I agree with Scotty, Dodge still has a ways to go as far as getting all the bugs worked out of it, but keeping up to date will help. Right now, it's about the only option...... that and wait for the next set of flashes to come out.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Everything is as current as it gets and I am told to wait til there is a new update or recall etc. This is the kind of stuff that really can annoy people...you take the truck in, clear the codes and voila...they are back again within either a few miles or days. Since the purchasing dealer does look after me...I will live with the light on. Periodically I will check to see if there are any new ones...so far its the same six. The engine light did go off after five starts originally but now it stays on. At least its not flashing as that from what I understand may mean something more serious then a rationality code.
Still bugs me that in this day and age, the consumer is still the test pilot.
EPA and Environment Canada are looking into why the driver/owner has to do certain things when the CATALYST 80% appears on the overhead...I guess what they want to know from the manufacturer is why the customer has to do this and why are these trucks consuming upwards of 20% plus more fuel.

I am definately in for a solution, I doubt it will come from Dodge though.