3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"FAKE" CODES - fed up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"FAKE" CODES - fed up

I am fed up of fake codes - no more waiting 4 - 5 days for the stupid dealer (******* in my opinion). Started going to my local mechanics shop for him to clear off and the DUMB codeit NEVER comes back! however I pay $70.00!!!!

Went and bought a code reader/cleaer for $124.00 - BYE BYE ***********!

Love my truck......hate the computor!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just fix the reason it is setting codes? Boost fooler? What code are you getting? The computers are pretty darn reliable in these trucks. Not too many times are their false/fake codes set without some reason behind it.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Different code every time - they have ranged from P0128, P2000 P1451 and a bunch of others I forget.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

what aftermarket acces. do you have on the truck?

brett
Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Codes don't tell you what wrong, they give you symptoms of whats wrong.

Just like a headlight out is a symptom. It could be a bad headlight, but then againit could be a bad headlight switch, bad wires, bad ground, bad fuse, or no electrical supply at all.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Hey Rusty - no aftermarket stuff at all. Have 34K miles on it now - since June
Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by myfirsttruck
Different code every time - they have ranged from P0128, P2000 P1451 and a bunch of others I forget.
Their not fake codes, as one poster mentioned they are a troubleshooting tool, just because you have a code doesn't necessarly mean you have a problem, the P128 code is a "thermostat rationaily" code the other 2 are emissions related, it sounds like your're idling your truck, and it's real cold there i've had the p1451 and it has to do with "dpf performance" and it's nothing to worry about, I have it it set when I was idling my truck and the catalyst message showed on the overhead. hope this helps some
Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

May be worth a visit to the dealer. If it only has 34k on it, it should still be under warranty. There are numerous flash updates to take care of "erroneous" codes. Fill out your sig so I can get some more detailed information for you. ( under the User CP tab in the upper left of the screen )
Old 12-14-2007, 05:22 AM

Caper - truck RARELY idles, NEVER below 1200 -1300 RPM (I always set the high idle) and never maore than 2 to 3 minutes.

Hope my signature is back...don't know where it went.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:31 AM

VZDUDE - got signature back!

I think that if these were more than "fake" codes - would they not come back? the P2000 was cleared out 8K miles ago - the P1028 5K miles etc.

Keep in mind....I LOVE my truck!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:59 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Man........soooo many computer updates for the 07's......where to even start! That would be my first thing. #1 visit the dealer and ask why they were charging you to clear codes, when it was obviously covered by the factory warranty. #2 - IF no success discussing the issue with the dealer - call the 1800# in the owner's manual for customer service - There is just no excuse! #3 Find another dealer that can find and fix the concerns.

Here is just the first of MANY tsb's with flash updates involved. This one happens to have the P1451 code you had listed earlier.

SUBJECT:
Ram Truck 2500 & 3500 - Excessive Soot Accumulation In Exhaust, PCM May Not
Reprogram, OBD Readiness Status And Other Engine System Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with “bootloader” software and application software.
CAUTION: A special “bootloader” software with special reprogramming (flash)
procedures must be installed in the PCM before the application software.
Once the “bootloader” software has been successfully installed (flashed)
in the PCM, then the application software can be reprogrammed (flashed)
into the PCM.
MODELS:
2007 (DH/D1) Ram Truck (2500 & 3500)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to Ram Truck 2500 & 3500 vehicles equipped with 6.7L
Cummins turbo-diesel engine (sales code ETJ) built on or before June 11,
2007 (MDH 0611XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator and/or technician may experience one or more of the following
conditions and/or enhancements:
1. The technician may not be able to reprogram (flash) the PCM with new
application software.
NUMBER: 18-033-07 REV. B
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: June 28, 2007
2. The vehicle may fail an Emission Inspection Maintenance (I/M) Test because two or
more On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) monitors report that they are not ready for testing.
This condition may cause the customer vehicle to not pass an Emissions I/M test. The
following is a list of OBD Monitors that may report as not ready for testing:
a. Non-Methane Hydrocarbon (NMHC) Catalyst Monitor.
b. Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) Absorber Monitor.
c. Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Monitor.
d. Electrical Charging System Monitor.
e. EGR System Monitor.
f. Oxygen Sensor Monitor.
3. After extensive idling of the vehicle engine or if an intake air leak is present, the
vehicle operator may experience a MIL illumination and/or an Electronic Vehicle
Information Center (EVIC) message alert due to one or more of the following DTC's:
a. P1451 - Diesel Particulate Filter System Performance.
b. P2463 - Diesel Particulate Filter - Soot Accumulation.
c. P242F - Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction - Ash Accumulation.
4. The vehicle operator may experience a MIL illumination due to one of the following
DTC's:
a. P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Performance.
b. P242B - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Performance - Bank 1 Sensor 3.
c. P245A - EGR Cooler Bypass Control Circuit - Open.
5. An intermittent rough engine idle and/or white smoke following initial engine start.
6. A throttle tip-in stumble at engine speeds of 1,300 to 2,100 rpm.
7. An engine hesitation at altitude of 5,000 feet between engine speeds of 1,200 to 1,600
rpm.
8. A turbocharger “chuff-like” sound during rapid deceleration.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Connect the StarSCAN® to the vehicle Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC).
2. From the “Home” menu, select:
a. “ECU View”.
b. “PCM Powertrain Control Module”.
c. “View DTC's”.
3. Record DTC's that are present in the PCM.
4. Is DTC P242F present?
a. If YES >>> then STOP. Contact STAR for additional technical assistance.
b. If NO >>> then proceed to the next step.
5. Are either (or both) DTC P1451 or P2463 present?
a. If YES >>> then Section C - Exhaust System Aftertreatment Regeneration must be
performed AFTER Sections A and B (reprogramming the PCM for bootloader and
application software) of the Repair Procedure have been completed. Read the
following Cautions and Notes, then proceed to Section A of the Repair Procedure.
b. If NO >>> then Section C - Exhaust System Aftertreatment Regeneration should
NOT be performed. Read the following Cautions and Notes, then perform Sections
A and B of the Repair Procedure.
CAUTION: Before the application software can be reprogrammed (flashed) into the
Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

The P2000 code should get taken care of after you have the G30 recall performed. One of the components that "could" set the code is an oxygen sensor or related issue. G30 replaces the oxygen sensor module, and also flash updates the ecm.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
VZDUDE - got signature back!

I think that if these were more than "fake" codes - would they not come back? the P2000 was cleared out 8K miles ago - the P1028 5K miles etc.

Keep in mind....I LOVE my truck!
I think Dodge and Cummins threw those codes in there to make you mad. They want you to get rid of the truck. That's it. I think they sent them via Satellite to your truck while you were driving down the road just to make you angry. Of course they're fake. I think they spend a lot of time putting a bunch of stuff they don't need in the computers of these trucks, for no reason other than just to confuse the public!

Seriously, take the truck to the dealer and quit complaining. They'll fix the issues for you and you won't have to come here with some kind of conspiracy theory anymore.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:54 AM

Thanks jack - I think you are the answer to life I have been searching for!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Caper - truck RARELY idles, NEVER below 1200 -1300 RPM (I always set the high idle) and never maore than 2 to 3 minutes.

Hope my signature is back...don't know where it went.
Your truck is still idling at 1200, so you Either had a catalyst message or drive around town alot, OR it is very cold outside. I've had that p1451 code for about a month now and it doesn't effect the truck at all so why are you getting these codes cleared , "That's just curing the symptom, and not the problem" and not all dodge tech's are trained on this 6.7L I called 4 different dealers about this code when I got it and they all said the same thing I just told you.

We all have the same issues some worse than others, Jack is right take it to the dealer if you're concerned about it, or you can start doing some homework on your own and ask some questions, there are alot of knowledgable people on here and other forums willing to help.
I'm not taking my truck into the dealer every time it throws a code i'll do my homework and make that call on my own, I've had lots of codes but the CEL has never come on, once I get the p2000 code i'll get the recall done as well.

Read this.

P1451-DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation
The engine Exhaust system monitors the soot load in the After treatment diesel particulate filter. Under normal operating conditions the After treatment diesel particulate filter is self-cleaning, where accumulated soot is converted to ash. Under light load operating conditions, the driver may be notified via the vehicle's EVIC message center ("CATALYST FULL: SEE OWNERS MAN" message will be displayed) that it is necessary to modify the vehicles driving routine/duty-cycle (see Owner's Manual for details) in order to allow the After treatment diesel particulate filter system to self clean. If the vehicle's EVIC message center notification is ignored, the vehicle will eventually derate the engine and set a fault, requiring service. The soot load in the After treatment diesel particulate filter is estimated by the ECM using the Exhaust Pressure Sensor values and the calculated soot output of the engine. This fault code will be triggered if the application is not operating at a duty cycle high enough to allow active regeneration of the After treatment diesel particulate filter. This fault code is an indication that the exhaust temperatures exiting the turbocharger are not high enough to allow active regeneration of the soot that is trapped in the After treatment diesel particulate filter. It may be necessary to increase the duty cycle of the application in order to prevent excessive soot accumulation and plugging of the After treatment diesel particulate filter. The ECM will set this fault if it detects that the soot level has exceeded the normal desoot trigger threshold by a sufficient amount to indicate that the driver intervention is required. There is not a MIL lamp associated with this fault code, though the driver will be notified via the EVIC message.

When Monitored:
Engine Running

Set Condition:
The ECM will set this fault if it detects that the soot level has exceeded the normal desoot trigger threshold by a sufficient amount to indicate that the driver intervention is required.

Possible Causes

ENGINE HAS BEEN OPERATING IN LIGHT LOAD CONDITIONS THAT PREVENT EXHAUST TEMPERATURES FROM BEING HIGH ENOUGH TO ACTIVELY REGENERATE THE AFTER TREATMENT PARTICULATE FILTER

PROGRESSIVE DAMAGE TO THE AFTER TREATMENT SYSTEM FROM AN ENGINE FAILURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO EXCESSIVE FUEL, OIL OR COOLANT IN THE AFTER TREATMENT SYSTEM

EXHAUST LEAK PREVENTING DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER REGENERATION TEMPERATURES FROM BEING ACHIEVED

Quick Reply: "FAKE" CODES - fed up