3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine studders

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Engine studders

I have a 2009 6.7 2500 auto transmission with full deletes and I need some help. I was driving to work today and all of a sudden my truck started jerking like someone was slamming the brakes on. I just rolled over 80K so I pulled over into a parking lot and did a visual inspection of the front end and drive lines, no visible issues. I've replaced the front wheel bearings and all the u-joints in the truck so I didn't think that was the issue. I was only about two miles from work in a 30mph zone so I decided to limp it to the parking lot. When I got there the engine started acting weird, it would shake and almost cough when accelerating so I'm thinking something has gone horribly wrong ! When I stopped in the parking lot at work I shut down the engine and tried the three key trick to check for codes, nothing. I tried to start the engine and it took almost 8 seconds of cranking to get it to fire. I checked for codes again, nothing. I shut it down and restarted it, engine shaking has reduced but it still seems like it's running on 5/6 injectors or something is choking it off. I did read something on a post about turbo cleaning, is that a real thing? I mean drilling a hole in my turbo seems a bit dangerous. Any help on this would really be great. Thanks! -Mrhyde
Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Could be all sorts of issues from clogged turbo to fuel pump to injectors... You need to get a code reader and check for any codes. Assume there are no CELs?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct, no CEL and no indication that the lift pump is going out. I did try the remote start and it started just fine but keeps shaking the whole truck side to side. I'm starting to lean more towards a bad injector. Once I get it into a garage I'm going to redo the flash on the XRT programmer and check with a ODBII code scanner to see if there are any codes showing up. Any other ideas?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:54 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I assume your fuel filter is good and changed regularly?