3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

EGR......... Explanation please ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EGR......... Explanation please ?????

Could someone give me the straight info on the EGR system ? Why can't you pull it off, remove the butterfly, install a fabbed up block off plate (or 2), reinstall the EGR, & simply plug it back in to eliminate the CEL ?
Is leaving the EGR unplugged altering other parameters in the computer that may be the reason behind the better mileage ?
Can this be done with no other mods ? My truck has 500 miles on it & I really don't want to alter the exhaust with any deletes before I get the 1st free oil change from the dealership !! I would like to keep the soot out of the intake basically from day one if I can.

Thanks

Ramruff
Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking not much help

Ebay , a guy makes a special bolt in plug just for that reason. will it affect the computer? probably.
if you fab it as described it will allow a greater release of pressure, heat and yes, soot. will not hurt the engine but the electronics control the engine. more adjustments very much needed.

sooooo, you are going to take a new truck ($$$) and essentially make it a first gen?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme

sooooo, you are going to take a new truck ($$$) and essentially make it a first gen?
My 2nd gen (1995) smoked like a freight train & got 22 mpg empty & 16-18 towing my equipment trailer.
So yes I'll do what it takes to get the mileage up. The new trucks are big on more power, don't smoke & eat fuel ! The only thing smoking on my last 2 trucks was my wallet.