3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

dual oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual oil filter

Anybody running a Dual Oil filter bypass system on there truck. I can get one from aimsoil for $275. it seems like it would be a good investment. What do you all think ?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not seen anyone in my area with the aimsoil but i have two friends with the fs2500 and they are extremely pleased. also there oil looks almost clean all the way up to oil change. Check into it.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ive not seen anyone with that system either. Heard many good things about amsoil though. Raycor also.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by got_soot
I have not seen anyone in my area with the aimsoil but i have two friends with the fs2500 and they are extremely pleased. also there oil looks almost clean all the way up to oil change. Check into it.
Must be on older trucks.. There is NO way to keep the oil clean on anything built after 04.5.. My oil is black as the night 2 seconds after startup with a Amsoil bypass.. just the nature of the beast with emissions oriented engines.

The dual bypass is nice, but not really needed on our "small" engine.. Get the single and you'll be fine. There is a link to my install in my sig... would be the same for a 6.7
Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Must be on older trucks.. There is NO way to keep the oil clean on anything built after 04.5.. My oil is black as the night 2 seconds after startup with a Amsoil bypass.. just the nature of the beast with emissions oriented engines.

The dual bypass is nice, but not really needed on our "small" engine.. Get the single and you'll be fine. There is a link to my install in my sig... would be the same for a 6.7
Yes both trucks are older with fueling mods. their oil gets just as nasty as ours does without the emmison junk but the thing is if it collects soot out of oil then thats what it does not matter what year vehicle. One of my friends(next door neighbor) says it wont clean the rotella very well and still will look alittle dirty but when he started running his synthetic it is as clean as honey up to the day he changes it. Im still trying to figure out why it only cleans synthetic and not just reg. old rotella. here is a website to read some info http://www.fs2500.com/buyers_guide.html
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by got_soot
Yes both trucks are older with fueling mods. their oil gets just as nasty as ours does without the emmison junk but the thing is if it collects soot out of oil then thats what it does not matter what year vehicle. One of my friends(next door neighbor) says it wont clean the rotella very well and still will look alittle dirty but when he started running his synthetic it is as clean as honey up to the day he changes it. Im still trying to figure out why it only cleans synthetic and not just reg. old rotella. here is a website to read some info http://www.fs2500.com/buyers_guide.html
Trust me, and do some reading. It may clean out the soot, but the oil on 04.5+ trucks is BLACK as soon as you change it.. even with a bypass.

The FS2500 you linked it 2.78um absolute, the Amsoil is 2um absolute.. (The Amsoil is more efficient and cheaper) My dad and I both have the Amsoil on our trucks, an 05 and an 06, the oil is BLACK as soon as you change it.. Read all the posts on here about oil BLACK as soon as you change it.

It is because modern emissions puts more soot into the oil, so oils were formulated to suspend soot and keep it from agglomerating. This reduces soot related wear, but also makes soot harder to filter out. Soot is generally sub-micron in size. The Amsoil is rated at 39% at 1um, so you can see how hard it is to filter out non-agglomerated soot. Once the soot does agglomerate it is filtered out long before its large enough to do damage, but there is always going to be a lot of soot in the oil that can't be filtered. Its just the nature of the beast.

Many people claim their oil stays honey colored for a long time with a bypass, its just their way of justifying the purchase to themselves and others.. Its the same as people inflating their fuel mileage numbers, some people need to look better.

Rest assured that you still have much cleaner and healthier oil with a bypass than without, even if you cant see the results. If you need visual confirmation run a UOA.

The type of oil will not make a difference to the filter, in fact cheaper oil would probably clean easier as the soot control package is probably not as good as a quality dino or synthetic. Again, probably a justification to run synthetic.

On a side note, on my wife's 4.0 V6 Toyota motor the bypass does keep the oil clean for a lot of miles. At about 6-8K the oil starts to darken, but only to the level normal oil is after about 1K miles.. They work!

The video FS2500 uses is not an actual representation of soot in modern diesel oil.. its oil and soot that allow for easier filtering for marketing purposes.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Trust me, and do some reading. It may clean out the soot, but the oil on 04.5+ trucks is BLACK as soon as you change it.. even with a bypass.

Many people claim their oil stays honey colored for a long time with a bypass, its just their way of justifying the purchase to themselves and others.. Its the same as people inflating their fuel mileage numbers, some people need to look better.

Rest assured that you still have much cleaner and healthier oil with a bypass than without, even if you cant see the results. If you need visual confirmation run a UOA.

The video FS2500 uses is not an actual representation of soot in modern diesel oil.. its oil and soot that allow for easier filtering for marketing purposes.
Well put AH64ID Its just one of those things that i seen visually and could of vouched for when the oil was clean.. Maybe he pulled a fast one and just changed the oil hahaha.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 PM

Apache, how did you mount your bypass?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM

I have some questions for users of By-pass filtration on the new 6.7L engine or those that want the unit.
1. What mileage are you looking for on oil changes?
2. How will this filter out the fuel dilution that happens on the 6.7L ?
You do know that a 6.7L engine can have up to 5% fuel dilution in 3,000 miles depending on driving styles. This is cause by the added fuel burn on the exhaust side. To help in the regen cycle of the emission program.
3. Will the filter removed the condensation that occurs in the oil do to ambient temperature changes?
4. Will you be doing oil sampling every 3,000 miles?

I am just curious on why? I agree that by-pass filtration will work if equipped with the proper equipment, but I have yet to see it in the low cost systems. Such as heaters in the by-pass system to heat and removed the condensation and extra fuel that will occur in the oil from emissions.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2171CTD
Apache, how did you mount your bypass?
Take a look at the link in my sig.... But its under the passenger on the frame rail.

Originally Posted by Jim W
I have some questions for users of By-pass filtration on the new 6.7L engine or those that want the unit.
1. What mileage are you looking for on oil changes?
2. How will this filter out the fuel dilution that happens on the 6.7L ?
You do know that a 6.7L engine can have up to 5% fuel dilution in 3,000 miles depending on driving styles. This is cause by the added fuel burn on the exhaust side. To help in the regen cycle of the emission program.
3. Will the filter removed the condensation that occurs in the oil do to ambient temperature changes?
4. Will you be doing oil sampling every 3,000 miles?

I am just curious on why? I agree that by-pass filtration will work if equipped with the proper equipment, but I have yet to see it in the low cost systems. Such as heaters in the by-pass system to heat and removed the condensation and extra fuel that will occur in the oil from emissions.
I don't have a 6.7.... but here is what I know.

Amsoil says that OE oil change intervals must be maintained with their oil, due to the fuel dilution (which has more to do with the motor than the oil, so this would apply to any oil you run). You can't filter out fuel, so its there. So unless you're going to do UOA when the oil change reminder comes on then thats how long you can run oil, to be safe.

Bypass's don't filter out water either, the best way to get rid of the condensation is to run the motor at operating temp.

It will take some time for each user to figure out how their driving habits effect fuel dilution. I would start by doing one at the oil change reminder and going from there.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 AM

filter

I started this thread to get feed back and I got some, thanks. I think that if your trading your truck every couple years it doesn't matter what you do to take care of it. I my case I run them for years and 100000's of miles, so if a by-pass filter cleans out even a little bit of $hit from my oil than I say its worth it. Knowing about what oil will works best with the filter system is important.
I'm thinking that as years go on the trucks will only become more screwed up with EPA mandates so I want to make this one last.
I'm installing 2 filter type by-pass system.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM

by-pass installed

Here's some pic's of the by-pass I installed today. Behind the transfer case and alongside the drive shaft, only place it would fit.