3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Draining Fuel Filter Maked A Mess

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Draining Fuel Filter Maked A Mess

Hears another question, guys. I have a piece of hose connected to the fuel filter drain valve. I place the end of the hose in a container, hoping to catch the fuel there. Unfortunately, when I twist open the valve most of the fuel flows outside of the hose and a good deal of it winds up flowing along the frame onto the ground, not in the container. What tricks are you guys using to lessen the spillage? Thanks....
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a empty antifreeze bottle that I jam up in there between the axle and steering bars and I put the hose right into the bottle, no mess.. The bottle with get smashed a little but it works fine for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Banned

I just use a section of hose to slip over the hose that comes on the housing and have it extend to below the differential. No spills yet.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Second hose has to go over the first hose...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
I just use a section of hose to slip over the hose that comes on the housing and have it extend to below the differential. No spills yet.
Yep,that's my system!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 PM

Just go to Home Depot and get some 3/8" ID hose that is long enough to drain into a container. And get a band clamp too.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 AM

You are all speaking of the 5.9L fuel filter. He has the 6.7L fuel filter. It is entirely different.

I found that the drain does not work worth crap. When you loosen the star wheel for the drain, nothing comes out. If you keep loosening, the fuel runs out around the drain valve and down the outside of the hose. Really a poor design which has been changed for 09, I believe.

What I do is put a mason jar on the differential, put the drain hose in the jar, loosen the valve slightly, and then switch on the ignition to cycle the fuel pump. This forces fuel out the drain. Only need 1-2 seconds of key time.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Originally Posted by sabersix
You are all speaking of the 5.9L fuel filter. He has the 6.7L fuel filter. It is entirely different.

I found that the drain does not work worth crap. When you loosen the star wheel for the drain, nothing comes out. If you keep loosening, the fuel runs out around the drain valve and down the outside of the hose. Really a poor design which has been changed for 09, I believe.

What I do is put a mason jar on the differential, put the drain hose in the jar, loosen the valve slightly, and then switch on the ignition to cycle the fuel pump. This forces fuel out the drain. Only need 1-2 seconds of key time.
Thanks for pointing that out. didnt even look, just thought 5.9
Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 PM

On the 6.7, unscrew the drain a little bit and you will see a little start to flow. On the outlet going to the fuel pump at the top of the housing, there is a fuel line with a white quick disconnect. Unplug that line and it will allow air to enter and then it will drain the filter completely. Another way you can do it is drill a small hole at the top of the filter (THE PLASTIC PART), this will also allow air to flow. Doing this will allow minimal fuel loss and a cleaner garage floor!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

I never thought about putting another, larger hose over the smaller one to catch the fuel. Another good idea you guys mentioned in bumping the starter to pressurize the fuel a bit. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM

you don't bump the started. just turn the key to accessory. you'll see the flow out the tube. when you cycle the key to pump it, you don't have to open the valve so far on the filter. that way it'll flow inside the tube.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Just curious... are you draining the filter to remove the water from it, or draining the entire filter in order to remove it and install a new one? Turning the key to the "on" position activates the fuel pump which pushes fuel INTO the filter. Doing that is a good way to drain the water from the filter, as it will be pushed out of the bottom of the filter (water settles as it is heavier than diesel). However, if you are attempting to drain all the fluids from the filter, I would think that this would be counter-productive.

If you are draining the filter for removal, one thing to try is to unscrew the filter from the housing just a hair while it is draining into the bottle or pan. Not very much, just an inch or so of rotation.. enough so that air can get in but fuel can't leak out.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 PM

yeha, i was assuming that he was draining water. i do the same thing that you stated when i remove the filter. that is, i unscrew it just enough to get the fuel flowing out.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeram_dude
Just curious... are you draining the filter to remove the water from it, or draining the entire filter in order to remove it and install a new one? Turning the key to the "on" position activates the fuel pump which pushes fuel INTO the filter. Doing that is a good way to drain the water from the filter, as it will be pushed out of the bottom of the filter (water settles as it is heavier than diesel). However, if you are attempting to drain all the fluids from the filter, I would think that this would be counter-productive.

If you are draining the filter for removal, one thing to try is to unscrew the filter from the housing just a hair while it is draining into the bottle or pan. Not very much, just an inch or so of rotation.. enough so that air can get in but fuel can't leak out.
Yes, I was only draining any possible water, not the entire filter. I thought you had to "bump" the starter for some reason. That's what I do when I install a new filter and fill it using the fuel pump. I've learned to do this by reading these forums. Are you saying it isn't necessary to "bump" the starter, even when changing the filter? thanks...(Oh, how long should I leave the key in the "ON" position? Does the fuel exit very fast when under pressure?)
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM

have someone turn the key while you watch it the first time, just so you know how fast it comes out. and no, you don't bump the starter. just turn the key to accessory and you can even hear the pump for a few seconds (if you have the radio, a/c etc. turned off). do that 4 or 5 times.

Quick Reply: Draining Fuel Filter Maked A Mess