3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DPF clogging and short trips

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF clogging and short trips

I was reading on Dodge Truck World that one of the reasons for the early bugs with the DPF clogging so easily was because people were not driving long enough to make it go into regen. They were driving only 15 minute short trips and it was clogging faster and not regenerating. Have the TSBs and flashes fixed this problem to if you do make short trips it will still go into regen? I guess forcing regens? I live in Nashville and if I do get on the interstate, it is rarely more than 20 minutes at a time, which according to what they say is not long enough and that you should drive 30-40 minutes.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 PM

all 3500miles of mine... ive only ever been on the highway for more than 20 minutes 1 time. Every single other time on the hwy, its been 16 minutes or less. Ive never had any CEL's and have never seen the cat stat message, which means that my DPF has never gotten close to full. I wouldnt worry about it too much anymore as long as you have all of the latest flashes done.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

As soon as your truck goes into regen and you stop, the next time you drive it, it will kick back into regen. They flash updates make it go into regen more often and they are faster. If you are in alot of stop go traffic and thats it, thats when I would worry.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Bought my truck Thursday with 149 miles (probably test drives) on it. Jumped on the freeway and while driving to Montana about 100 miles later doing 75 I got the DPF clogging code. Drove 250 miles more which put me back at the dealer and they reset the code and did a manual burn. Back on the freeway at 75 mph I made it 400 miles and it came back.
Not one short trip in there, I think it has the latest flash but not the O2 sensor which is now ordered and i'll have them double check the flash when it goes in.

DJ
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 AM

It really does sound like you have a sensor issue, unless for some reason your dealership didn't update yours before they released it to you. I haven't heard a complaint like yours since early this Summer before they got the flashes right.

Checking your SW version is for sure part of the o2 sensor recall. Be sure and post after you get the recall done and let us know if it solved your issue or if its still happening.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM

With having the Edge Juice I am able to track Regens. It usually happens once per tank and last 15 minutes. After having the G-30 recall work done, 02 sensor module and updating from AR to AU flash it is still averaging once per tank and last 15 minutes. I did see an increase in fuel milage and am getting 16.4 + now with only 5500 miles I am having visions of 20 mpg. around 30,000miles. Time will tell
Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM

typo

Originally Posted by donaldej
Bought my truck Thursday with 149 miles (probably test drives) on it. Jumped on the freeway and while driving to Montana about 100 miles later doing 75 I got the DPF clogging code. Drove 250 miles more which put me back at the dealer and they reset the code and did a manual burn. Back on the freeway at 75 mph I made it 400 miles and it came back.
Not one short trip in there, I think it has the latest flash but not the O2 sensor which is now ordered and i'll have them double check the flash when it goes in.

DJ
I'd be sure and check to see if you got ULSD and not LSD. Your situation does not sound current with what has been happening with these trucks with the updated flashes. I wonder if the wrong fuel was used or if it could have been mislabeled at the pump? And you're not running any fuel additives, right?

That DPF should not clog especially at highway speeds.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 AM

I think mine is going to give alot of problems. I work with my truck and do alot of strarting and moving then shuting it off. It always sounds like it is always going through regen. I want rid of this dpf.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by donaldej
Bought my truck Thursday with 149 miles (probably test drives) on it.
Don,

(off topic, sorry) Did your truck have a little sticker on the driver's side window that said something like "The miles shown on the odometer are due to this vehicle being audited by Chrysler Quality Control"? Mine did (had around 100 miles on it when I bought it). Wonder how often buyers run into that. So far I've got 55,000 miles with no complaints (other than the usual like ball joints). So whatever they did didn't hurt it none .

-J
Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

One thing you can do is strait pipe it which will throw codes but throw a chip on it and it still will be better then stock and you wont have to worry about your dpf clogging up thats what I did and I did not have any problems at all other than the derating of the motor which I new was going to happen. I put all the stock back on because I am going for performance and hp in this truck so I need every extra bit of horse power I can get out of it. I just put the stock stuff back on and fiqured out you have to reset all of the starscan tool options on the exhaust.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Flattman
I'd be sure and check to see if you got ULSD and not LSD. Your situation does not sound current with what has been happening with these trucks with the updated flashes. I wonder if the wrong fuel was used or if it could have been mislabeled at the pump? And you're not running any fuel additives, right?

That DPF should not clog especially at highway speeds.
It came from Dave Smith Motors in ID, they sell about 600 trucks a month. It had a full tank when i bought it. Second fill up was at a main station in Missoula Mt. It's going in Wednesday to double check the flash and look at the P2002 code (full dpf).
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Don,

(off topic, sorry) Did your truck have a little sticker on the driver's side window that said something like "The miles shown on the odometer are due to this vehicle being audited by Chrysler Quality Control"? Mine did (had around 100 miles on it when I bought it). Wonder how often buyers run into that. So far I've got 55,000 miles with no complaints (other than the usual like ball joints). So whatever they did didn't hurt it none .

-J
No sticker, the truck had about $6000 in accessory's that someone had ordered but the deal fell apart. Maybe after buying it they drove it but didn't like it or something. Couldn't get the real story as to why they ordered all the extras and then didn't buy it.
On a positive note I ran ran to Eugene and back about 100 miles and was up to 14mpg (from around 11mpg) with 1200 miles on truck.