3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

To delete or not to delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To delete or not to delete

Im stuck again. I cant decide if i want to do a DPF delete or not. I have read everything on the internet i possible can about them and I know enough as a mechanic to see the pros and cons but i still cant decide, all you guys out there who have or havent done it what has persuaded you either way. I am in serious need of some smoke coming out of my stacks but my truck has 26,000 miles on it and has been absolutely perfect never to the shop once. Im worried about opening a whole new can of worms. If i do delete im probably going to go with DPF-R.com's kit thats code free and removable, but still, should I do it or not?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Well I have 20,000 km on the truck in my signature and all I am doing is reading and waiting for now. Two things that are very important to me:
Warranty, I can't afford to muck it up as I am a pensioner and that could cost big bucks. HOWEVER, with the way the economy is going I may not have a warranty because some US politicians have written Chrysler off for inclusion in a bail out, so that could screw things big time. IF that happens all bets are off and I will do whatever is necessary to keep my truck running efficiently and for as long as possible. Whatever I do it will be with a lot of careful consideration.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:41 PM

I'm leaving mine stock for now. I don't think the pluses are worth the minuses yet.
I don't understand the need for smoke. Sorry, but it just looks silly to me. Smoke is just unburned fuel and is really unnecessary now days. Smoke is actually bad for diesel lovers in general due to the way it is perceived by the general population.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM

I think what "smoke" refers to is the exiting of it instead of circulating within the motor. I'm in the same position , can't decide to delete or not. I've got a little over 2500 miles on the OD, so far so good. Until i get the check engine light, I'll leave it as is(if it an't broke don't fix it)
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Ok well i did it. I orded my kit today, Its a code free Generation 3 from DPF-R.com It will hopefully be here soon and ill keep everyone up to date on how it goes.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM

the only minus is possibly losing your warranty. if you can handle that, then DO IT!! the positives are great. more responsive truck, better power, much better fuel economy, and certainly much longer engine life. those are some pretty big pro's. i haven't looked back or regreted doing my deletes at all. my truck runs awesome. your in a different boat than many, since you have had no problems. my truck was in the shop numerous times in under 8,000 miles for emissions related stuff. i just got tired of it. figured i would fix what chrysler couldn't. the only thing i ever needed the warranty for anyway was for emissions problems (turbo cleaning, new turbo, codes, dpf cleaning etc.). not a single hiccup since! runs fantastic.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

be sure to do the egr delete too. i deleted my egr cooler also. you don't need that soot being pumped back into your motor.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM

i've got the kit and am very satisfied! when running the harness from the front of the motor towards the back, the module will be on the passenger side of the tranny.... or just follow the pressure lines from the dpf. just take some pliers to loosen the clamps and pull the rubber hoses off with the pressure lines.... just my .02
Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

What are the chances my truck will throw a code and the CEL come on. Is there anyone out there running this 6.7 stock, EGR plugged, no delete,and have no problems????
Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by wesboyd585
i've got the kit and am very satisfied! when running the harness from the front of the motor towards the back, the module will be on the passenger side of the tranny.... or just follow the pressure lines from the dpf. just take some pliers to loosen the clamps and pull the rubber hoses off with the pressure lines.... just my .02
Wesboyd what did you do as far as EGR delete
Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Also wesboyd how do you like the kIt. Is the truck much louder. What about smoke output? It only deletes the Dpf and not the cat right?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM

The DPF-R kit removes one cat (the one behind the DPF) there still is one more in the down pipe right after the turbo.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 PM

overall i am satisfied, but would like to get a lil louder.....just gotta find a downpipe now and a new tailpipe because i destoryed my tailpipe (long story). as far as smoke output goes on my otherwise stock truck, there is a little every now and then. definantly need some form of a chip to produce more. i still have my stock egr setup in place. also smells like a diesel too!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 PM

my truck has a g56 tranny and at about 2000 rpm i get major cab vibration, but that may be due to the fact that i'm tailpipe-less and have a "in-front-of-the-rear-wheel" side exit exhaust.....i'm just not up to giving dodge $210 for a dang tailpipe!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Right on sounds good to me, ya my wife isnt too hip on the whole smoke thing where as i want to blacken the roads. Hopefully i wont get any vibrations but i also already have dual 5" stacks through the bed.

Quick Reply: To delete or not to delete