3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer Quotes $1700 For Clutch Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer Quotes $1700 For Clutch Replacement!

I called a local dealer here in Tucson and was quoted approx $1700 for a clutch replacement! OUCH! I thought I read on one of these threads that replacement should only be about$3-400. If I had known clutches were that expensive I probably would have originally opted for an automatic tranny, although I do prefer stick. This especially sucks because I may be looking at throwing away almost $2,000 every 30,000 miles. South Bend Clutch is looking more attractive now!

So, what do you guys think, Is the dealer's quote entirely out of sight? I located a local shop that quoted about $500 if I have them install a South Bend clutch. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks again....
Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no way I would put another stock clutch in that truck, my buddy has replaced 2 already. He finally just bought a aftermarket clutch and the dealer installed it for no charge, since his were both within the 12k mile warranty. His slippage came from pulling heavy weights while farming.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take a look at ValAir. They are a north Texas company (Mineral Wells, TX) and I have seen firsthand their shop and spoken to their owner, Dan. I bought a replacement single disc for my father's '05 when the garbage OEM clutch gave way. The clutch is as strong as the Cummins is now in that truck. I feel your pain on your current truck; my '08 clutch is already starting to slip at 37000 miles with 50-60% heavy towing.

Like others have stated, I would not even consider a replacement OEM clutch as an option. The problem is the factory dual mass flywheel. It is designed to dampen any drivetrain noise from the cabin but is not a reliable option for high torque vehicles. They have a tendency to shift or sling the weights from the flywheel and damage the rest of the clutch.

Based on what I've seen of ValAir's shop, their employees, their owner, their product firsthand (my father has about 50000 miles on his ValAir clutch), and their pricing, I would choose one over a South Bend clutch without hesitation. I have already spoken to Dan about the type of dual disc that I will be putting in my '08 when the OEM clutch finally gives up the ghost.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:26 PM

1700 is way to steap for a stock junker. you can get the stock clutch for around $500-$600 i believe, then labor to install. most pay between $350-$500 for install. anyway, why would you even entertain the notion of putting another stock pos in there?? get a good aftermarket and you'll be set for a LONG time. i am totally satisfied with my dd valair. Dan said it can be rebuilt when the time comes (long way away) for the tune of $400 or so.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:01 PM

I've got a question for those of you with an after market clutch be South Bend or Valair. From reading other post I get it that there is "clutch noise" chatter , gear noise with the addition of an after market clucth. Will it ever be like a stock clutch with no noise , or is it something you have to put up with.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As the clutch breaks in there will be less chatter but it will never be as quiet as the dual mass flywheel-equipped OEM clutch.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 PM

lol... my dual disk chatters quite a bit. i am told less than other dd, but still it's a lot noisier than stock. i was told it would lessen over time, but really doubt that it will much. i must say that i am totally used to it now, nad kind of like it. makes the truck sound just like a big rig when it idles. no noise in gear or running down the road though. again, mine is a dual disc, and i am not sure how the aftermarket singles compare noise wise.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:13 PM

You all talk about south bend and valair clutches, just curious has any body used a LUK clutch, I had an 07 stroker with a dual mass flywheel set up and I shucked it for the LUK clutch and I was very impressed, It was like night and day
Old 12-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Well I am just a few miles from South Bend Clutch and those guys are awesome. I have had many clutches from them over the years for drag and circle track cars and they are the only place to go for anyone within 300 miles around here. They are a very stand up smaller home town type of company with integrity. I think they are the "Dave Goerend" to the manual trans croud. I have personally been at Dave's shop and South Bend Clutch and they are both the "look in your eye" kind of guys when they talk to you.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by tnhtractors
You all talk about south bend and valair clutches, just curious has any body used a LUK clutch, I had an 07 stroker with a dual mass flywheel set up and I shucked it for the LUK clutch and I was very impressed, It was like night and day
nope, LUK makes the oem piece of crap in the truck to begin with. even if they offered something else, i just wouldn't trust it to be worth anything after experiencing the stock cutch.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:58 AM

seems like that is a lot $$, you can do it yourself in one day.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 AM

Just for comparison ZOOM offers three different clutch assys up to 04 model year(maybe more but that was all I looked up) and all are in the $900 range for parts.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Hat has it right, get you a jack and some tools with the $500 you'll pay someone else to do it and do it yourself. its not hard just heavy and it takes a little while to get the input shaft lined up but if you have help it pretty straight forward.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:33 AM

Things must have changed. Never had to do the clutch in my '94.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Call Tucson Driveline at 792-1706. Ask for Glenn Sr or Jr. I bet they can do that clutch for a more reasonable amount. They do lots of work for us. Never had any issues with them.

Quick Reply: Dealer Quotes $1700 For Clutch Replacement!