3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cleaning my EGR

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigIron70
The 2500 and 3500 Rams are great trucks but they are not good for short trips. These engines are designed to work hard, but most people just use them for their everyday commuter. Most times when they come in with a check engine lite on I find 50% or more idle time. The same customers wonder why they get bad fuel mileage. I then have to clean the egr valve of soot. Go out and drive for 45 minutes at 55 mph or better doing a forced regeneration of the particulate filter because it is 90% full. I get paid for doing this. Today I spent most of my day updating the computers on 30 of these trucks and putting warning labels on the sun visor. These are great trucks but should be used for what they were designed for, pulling heavy loads. Use your exhaust break more often and it will help keep turbo clean. Use your idle up feature. Any dealer can enable this feature if you do extented idling.
If this is true, which I'm finding that it is, shouldn't the dealers tell people that? If I show up with a 4 1/2 year old truck with only 30k miles on it, it should tell the dealer that I don't drive enough to own one of these trucks! I live 6 miles from work and I don't have time to go running around driving my truck 45 minutes!!

I like my truck, but I'm afraid if Dodge don't get a handle on this, I'll be forced to find a good used one or go back to a gasser!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 PM

BigIron70,

That's why I started this thread, to see if I can clean my own EGR. What do you clean it with, and is something that I can do myself? I am mechanically inclined as I was an aircraft mechanic for years and I enjoy maintaining my own vehicles.

I agree with OilGuy, it would be nice to see some instructions on how to clean the EGRs!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM

There is "another site" that talks about removing/blocking the EGR. You can check that site for the removal steps - and some really nice pictures.

If I were to clean mine, I would remove as per the site instructions (careful not to bust the plastic retainer clip) and then get some cans of carb/choke cleaner. A nice brass bristle brush and some latex or silicone gloves to protect your skin.

I have not done this, but it looks pretty straight forward - just use the removal instructions and ignore the nasty illegal stuff... Also get some lock-tite to secure those butterfly valve screws. EGR REMOVAL -
Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
The 2500 and 3500 Rams are great trucks but they are not good for short trips. These engines are designed to work hard, but most people just use them for their everyday commuter. Most times when they come in with a check engine lite on I find 50% or more idle time. The same customers wonder why they get bad fuel mileage. I then have to clean the egr valve of soot. Go out and drive for 45 minutes at 55 mph or better doing a forced regeneration of the particulate filter because it is 90% full. I get paid for doing this. Today I spent most of my day updating the computers on 30 of these trucks and putting warning labels on the sun visor. These are great trucks but should be used for what they were designed for, pulling heavy loads. Use your exhaust break more often and it will help keep turbo clean. Use your idle up feature. Any dealer can enable this feature if you do extented idling.
BigIron70-Two comments: 1st, I'm suspect of how Dodge determines the amount of idle time to be 50%. With my personal vehicle I can tell you I never do warm up idles in the morning and never let it idle during the day unless I'm sitting at a red light. Thats it. Most of my driving is a 90 mile roundtrip commute that is all 75 mph highway speed. Yet whenever I go to the delaer I get a lecture about my idle time being 28%. Something somewhere is wrong with the way the ecm is logging engine rpm's as idle time.

2nd-Sounds like you've done lots of the latest TSB updates. The TSB says the new flash addresses idle issues by varying the idle speed and also does something with messages displayed on the EVIC. No one yet has been able to explain if new messages are displayed on the EVIC after this TSB. Are there? If so, what are they? Does it now give an indication when a regen is taking place?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 PM

I don't have a 6.7l but I do have a Jeep Liberty CRD (the 2.8l diesel). It has an EGR that I clean every oil change. The way I have read to clean it and have done for the past 22,000 miles, is with a soft toothbrush and carb cleaner. Its very easy to do.

Craig