3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cleaning my EGR

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning my EGR

I've heard about a lot of EGRs being clogged. From what I've read, it seems easy enough to get off. Would it be practical to take it off and clean it periodically, say when you change the oil? If so, what would be good to clean it with?

I've also read that operating the exhaust brake will help keep the turbo clean, does that help keep the EGR clean as well?

Knowing that defeating this stuff is illegal, my concience would never allow me to do that, but I would like to know the best ways to keep this stuff working without trips to the dealer and without any added frustrations.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 PM

::BUMP::

Im curious to know as well...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM

When I had my EGR issues, I had taken it to the dealer and Dodge had developed a special soap to clean the EGR. It didn't look like a hard job, but a VERY messy one. Back then I was having problems with my EGR clogging. I was told that it was due to using fuel additives. I quit using the fuel additives and have never had an EGR problem since. 126k miles on the clock now. As far as the clogging it was very sooty & more importantly gummy which was hanging up the actuator and keeping the EGR open. It definitely took awhile for the tech to get it clean. Unless you're getting codes or having problems, your's may not be that bad so maybe you can get away with using some other type of detergent and it not being so messy. I usually don't have the time, place or tools to get into most repairs so am at the mercy of the dealer or a garage.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Oh, forgot. I believe in your manual you will see that @ 60k miles you will need to have three things serviced. The PCV (I think it's called something else but basically the same thing - closed crankcase ventilation) filter which is under the valve cover, something else and a FREE EGR cleaning by the dealer. Ya have to pay for the CCV filter but the EGR "cleaning" is on the house. It might be a supplement included in the manual. You're supposed to get a message on the overhead when it's time to do this @ 60k miles but I think my message didn't go off until closer to 70k miles.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the info.

I really like my new truck, and the emissions don't really bother me if they work! I guess I'll just drive it and not worry about it all the time!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM

I couldn't find that in my 03 Manual. I guess thats a new thing? I didn't think I had an EGR but if I do I better find it. going on 73K.

Where is the EGR?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM

I think the EGR showed up on the 6.7l in the Dodge. I guess the EGR has been around on diesels for a while...here's an article about Detroit Diesel and Mercedes...

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2004/03ddc.php
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by bullrider9800
I couldn't find that in my 03 Manual. I guess thats a new thing? I didn't think I had an EGR but if I do I better find it. going on 73K.

Where is the EGR?
EGR showed up on the DC 6.7L's. I don't think you'll find one on any older DC's. Also, the closed crankcase ventilation started with the 6.7L's too. You probably have the open breather pipe down the driver's side of the engine which is no more. CCV filter under the valve cover now and no more open breather pipe on the 6.7L's.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM

I thought some older California engines had them???
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM

That wouldn't surprize me!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2rowdy
I thought some older California engines had them???
Yup....my 96 had one.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Yup....my 96 had one.
Your 96 had what?

All 5.9L do not have EGR systems and do have open crank vent.

All 6.7L have EGR systems and closed crank vent.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM

The last two and half years of the 12 valve did have EGR valve in the CA dodge.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
The 2500 and 3500 Rams are great trucks but they are not good for short trips. These engines are designed to work hard, but most people just use them for their everyday commuter. Most times when they come in with a check engine lite on I find 50% or more idle time. The same customers wonder why they get bad fuel mileage. I then have to clean the egr valve of soot. Go out and drive for 45 minutes at 55 mph or better doing a forced regeneration of the particulate filter because it is 90% full. I get paid for doing this. Today I spent most of my day updating the computers on 30 of these trucks and putting warning labels on the sun visor. These are great trucks but should be used for what they were designed for, pulling heavy loads. Use your exhaust break more often and it will help keep turbo clean. Use your idle up feature. Any dealer can enable this feature if you do extented idling.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 AM

I use my truck to work hard.... Towing in town... using the exhaust brake so I don't have to use the pads as much and I let it idle all day as well.... THAT is how I use my truck....
I don't idle it because I like to hear it run or I like to burn fuel... I just have sensitive equipment and stuff in the truck that I don't want to burn up under the Texas sun >>> That simple.
I don't complain about mileage >> But I do what I can to stretch it out like everyone else.... I just don't want to have to worry about some BS emission parts being forced down our throat by the EPA and environ"mental"ist tree huggers causing me to break down while I try to run my business.
I didn't get a warning about extended idling when I bought my truck... They didn't tell me anything but "sign here" so I expected it to run like my last one and I hope it does.
Maybe someone can post a EGR cleaning thread with "How To" pictures that can end up as a sticky note.

Oilguy

Quick Reply: Cleaning my EGR