3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blowing smoke

Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing smoke

Now I know guys are making chnages to their trucks to remove the emission stuff from our 6.7's but I have no mods and mine is blowing smoke, black smoke. I had to take the shoulder to go around a car today and looked in my mirror ans was amazed to see black smoke and lots of it.

I need help, the dealer here doesn"t know squat and had to take it to NH to have work done.

What should I do? How should I bring this up? The inside of the pipe is black and sooty.

Any help would be appreciated. Is anyone in northern VT or NH who could suggest a dealer that knows about these 6.7's?

I have only 41,000 miles.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep mine did the same when it was stock. That egr really puts alot of gunk into your engine and out your exhaust. when i did the full deletes, it doesnt smoke at all really unless i turn the smarty up. My advice is to delete the emissions. if you want to keep the emissions then have them put the latest flash to the ecm at the dealership and that should help things.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Sounds liks a cracked DPF to me. If you are stock and the DPF is working right then the tailpipe should be clean that where i would start.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM

If you are stock then it does sound like a cracked dpf.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Guys thanks for the replies and the info. It goes to the dealership Wednesday and we'll see. They tell me they have never heard of this and there are not service bulletins or recals about soot in the pipe for the 6.7. They claim to not even know how to inspect the dpf or even how to remove it.

This would be under the 5 year 100,000 mile emissions warranty, correct?

How can I tell if this J35 affects my truck? I have noticed a lack of power lately.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the dealership?

Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MaineRam
Guys thanks for the replies and the info. It goes to the dealership Wednesday and we'll see. They tell me they have never heard of this and there are not service bulletins or recals about soot in the pipe for the 6.7. They claim to not even know how to inspect the dpf or even how to remove it.

How can I tell if this J35 affects my truck? I have noticed a lack of power lately.

Thanks!!
Maybe there are some other suggestions, but if you can't go to another dealership then I would call Dodge customer service (check your manual) and report this place as you describe them to be moronic about such issues.

I would not want them to touch my truck.

Yes, this would certainly be under the emmissions warantee I would think.

Also, I'm pretty sure J35 affects your truck. There is a websit I think (maybe Dodge) that you can put in your VIN to see.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I would not let any Chrysler dealership that has a Pentastar on it and claims it cannot service my vehicle properly, or pleads ignorance to known issues, within 50ft of my truck.

I would try to find a known dealership with a good reputation for quality service if you are going to keep it stock and have it warrantied.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they can't loosen an exhaust clamp and undo 3 15mm nuts to pull the DPF, I would find another dealer.. What a bunch of idiots!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
If they can't loosen an exhaust clamp and undo 3 15mm nuts to pull the DPF, I would find another dealer.. What a bunch of idiots!
Well....

I was going to attempt to be somewhat diplomatic about it but you have pretty much nailed how I feel about that situation.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diplomatic? Whats that? some kind of online school thing?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaineRam

Thanks!!
I believe the DPF warranty is 5 years or 50,000 miles, except in CA registered vehicles where the warranty is 100,000 miles. Is that correct???
Old 04-27-2010, 05:11 PM

I just spoke with the service manager. I told him about the recall and that I wanted him to eyeball the turbo, clean the egr valve, and inspect the dpf. Surprisingly he was good with doing that all for me. Then I'll clean the tail pipe and if the dpf isn't cracked there should be no more soot.

If I keep going round and round with this then I'll be looking on the method to void all this crap. How does that thing fall off is the driveway?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM

What dealer are you taking your truck to? Foss Motors in Exeter NH is a good sized dealership and my fahter has purchased 3 trucks from them in the past 15 years, all diesels. I think they have good diesle techs, or at least they did. Just an option if the dealer your working with is of no help to you.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 PM

My dealer called me back and said they are going to change out the DPF. I guess it is a controlled item and will need to order it. New turbo at 18 K, now new DPF at 46K. What a pain in the ***.

If it blows smoke after this fix, and then the warranty goes by, then parts will start falling off the truck.

How are guys doing with the DPF delete? Is it more of a pain than anything?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:05 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Highly suggest a programmer like the Smarty ME, and DPF delete. It is a pain reliever, not a cause.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blowing smoke