3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Apparent failure of head gasket on 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Careful. Do the warranties overlap or are they concurrent? All that may mean is the warranty is 100,000 miles with Chrysler responsible for the first 36,000 miles and Cummins for the remainder.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hoot,

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm watching this closely to get Dodge's interpretation.

My fingers are crossed.

John
Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go back to post #8 on this thread and follow the link out. It show where a guy on TDR got his money back on a VP-44 that was replaced with 130,737 miles and the truck was six years, ten months, and twenty-one days old. He had to fight it but if you read all the high lighted points in his post it was an open and shut case. The dealer decided to take care of it without going to small claims court. Read the information in that thread and see if you can come up with any other conclusion.
I fully expect to have to pay to get my truck back today, but I really believe that I will get my money back.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ddestruel
Funny my injectors on my 05 were replaced under warranty at 122k and the dealership was the one who pointed out that line in the factory warranty description book out to me, i had purchased no extended warranties for any of the trucks. then i started seeing it pop up here on DTR so i dont know i used to share that belief that the 7/100 was just that but they pointed out and took care of my problem under it. im not complaining jsut offering it as a possible avenue. I still think the total warranty is only 100K, not 136K but some have tried and it may be debatable due to DC's wording in the warranty booklet. The dealership here seemed to believe it and i never heard another word about it. so i'll take my gift and run you may have your work cut out convincing them but check out this link for more info, fact you disassembled it may be an issue.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...-you-ride.html
GOOD POST ...... Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eb290
The dealer decided to take care of it without going to small claims court.
The wording in the warranty manually is very vague and makes no statements about whether the warranties are overlapping or not. But eb290 hit the nail on the head. If you threaten to take them to court over the deal, they'll probably back down and treat them as non-overlapping. But you have to be willing to follow it through.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Cummins is never responsible for any warranty in Dodge trucks.Engines are bought with NO warranty from Cummins and has been since 1989.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my 2006 warranty book on page 8 it states under the Cummins limited engine warranty, it said its for 5 years or 100,000 on the odometer whichever comes first. Unless I misunderstand what I read, once the odometer reaches 100K the warranty is over.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:21 PM

The 07 warranty may read different. Just a thought. When my 05 gets out of the body shop, Im gonna look and see what it says.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
In my 2006 warranty book on page 8 it states under the Cummins limited engine warranty, it said its for 5 years or 100,000 on the odometer whichever comes first. Unless I misunderstand what I read, once the odometer reaches 100K the warranty is over.
The '05 manual says the same, but also states as otherwise noted in this thread that the Cummins warranty starts after the 36K warranty. So, one could argue, I suppose, the the "100k on the odometer" you reference is a 100K you've added to the 36K. Yes, confusing, and it must have been written by some attorney who just can't bring him/herself to write plain english.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdGen
The 07 warranty may read different. Just a thought. When my 05 gets out of the body shop, Im gonna look and see what it says.

Verbatim page 10 of my 03 manual.

2.3 Cummins Diesel Engine Limited Warranty

A. When it begins
If your truck is equipped with a Cummins diesel engine, the Cummins diesel engine limited warranty begins at the end of the 3/36 basic limited warranty period, and covers the cost of repairing those parts on your truck engine listed in Section 2.3B that are defective in materials , workmanship or factory preparation.

B. Parts covered for 7 years or 100k miles
In trucks equipped with a Cummins diesel engine, ONLY the following engine parts and components are covered for 7 years or 100,000 miles whichever occurs first:

Then it lists allt he parts which im not going to type

So the Cummins Diesel Engine warranty from part “A” “Begins at the end of the 3/36 basic limited warranty period….” Part “B” describes the time line as “7 years or 100k miles” … “whichever occurs first” but does not define the starting time line of the 7/100 part A defines the start of the timeline and clearly states the timeline as starting after the commencement of the 3/36 basic limited warranty.

DBLR Your warranty on the 05/06 manual says in part "C". page 9 says the same thing as the 03 trucks that the "Cummins diesel engine limited warranty begins at the End of the basic limited warranty after 36 months or 36k miles on the odometer". Part “A” on page 8 that you are both referring to states that you are covered for 5 years or 100k miles on the odometer by the” Cummins diesel limited warranty” whichever comes first then part “C” clearly states when the “Cummins diesel limited warranty” is to begin and that is after the 3/36. So my inturpretation would be similar that 100k miles on the odometer is 100k miles on the odometer but if it is 100k miles on the odometer starting after 36k miles on the odometer then they are implying????? its a prickly and slippery slope, speaking with my attoney about some lumber product warranty issues this morning i brought this up, he laughed and said that he'd give the odds to a owner in court over the dealership but he said if we were dealing with it as the vendor we'd be settling to avoid the attorney fees and he'd be out of a job for having but that little hickup in there.. one thing he did note is in 05/06 they added the odometer comment where as the early warranty books omit that clearification

http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warr...amandSRT10.pdf
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

I got my truck back this morning and as expected I had to pay to get it. I pointed out the part about the Cummins engine warranty starting at the end of the 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty and neither the service writer or the service manager had ever noticed it and said I was the first to ever bring it up. I was told that if they turned it in as a warranty claim it would be turned down because of excessive mileage. They did agree that they thought it meant that the warranty claim was valid but wouldn't send it in that way because they "knew" that it would be denied. They told me to call the number in the warranty book and start the process of trying to get it resolved that way. We have called and have started the paperwork. I really don't have much hope, but will try.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 PM

Mine has been blown since 50k and im still driving it at 67k I hope to take it in next week im goin to get them to put studs in it for me while they are at it I have a very understanding dealer.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 AM

bigd6.6
You have a PM
Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 AM

What are the symptoms of your head gasket failure? Is the problem on your 6.7? Why does the dealer have to be understanding as your in the warranty period or so it appears.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hounddog,

Studs are and upgade. Dealers normally don't improve the design, they just replace parts. But an understanding dealer might work with you on some things by making it better than stock or just charging a bit more for extra parts, etc.

If this head gasket thing turns out to be a weakness in general, and not just because they were under-torqued at the factory, studs would be a nice upgrade.

John

Quick Reply: Apparent failure of head gasket on 6.7