3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Apparent failure of head gasket on 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparent failure of head gasket on 6.7

Long post

About two weeks ago I could smell antifreeze after I came in from a run late one night. The next morning the radiator was low and the overflow tank was completely full and I could see it had run over. I thought radiator cap, replaced it and took care of the coolant levels. The coolant gradually got lower in the radiator and the tank got fuller. All this is while the temp is completely normal for the loads I was pulling. The temp finally got up close to the 240 mark, I shut down for a while to let it cool off , then started it up and put water in and came on home with no problems. I took it to the shop last Thursday knowing what it probably was, but not believing that it could be the head gasket, and it tested positive for hydrocarbons in the coolant. Had to be the head gasket or possibly the EGR cooler. Pulled it down, the EGR cooler tested OK, looking at the head gasket, you couldn't see any "blow out" as such or feel anything. On the head you could see two places that were scorched outside the firing chamber. The head has been checked, it is flat, no warping, and has been magnafluxed (sp) and it has no cracks.
This should not have happened in my opinion. The truck is completely stock, and until this happened never got hotter than 210-215 max. It has been maintained correctly. It has been worked from day one, 90% of its 131,500+ miles have been towing a trailer, but this shouldn't have happened. I hope it is just a fluke. All the parts got in and the head got back today and it is going back together this afternoon. Should have it running and back to work tomorrow afternoon. It has been a long week wondering what was going to be found. I didn't post before now because I really wouldn't be able to answer any questions until I knew what happened. My other trucks went 419K and 345K miles without any engine problems. Like I said, in my opinion this shouldn't have happened. I hope it is a fluke, because it is an expensive fix. Give me a week after I get it back and I'll know if it is fixed.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 PM

The part about not seeing a headgasket issue makes me nervous.Over the years every time I've seen that issue with headgasket looks fine it ended up being a crack or eroded area in the head that took lots more looking to find.Hope not in your case.I've taken a number of suspect heads from decent machine shops that said all was ok with it and used a speciality HEAD shop that found cracks.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just think of it as you made it around 895,000 miles before a major engine repair. Not to bad!!
Hopefully it is just a fluke at 130K on a stock engine no excuse for a head gasket problum.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Being he said it was magnafluxed I would think the head went to a specialty shop.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Don't know.I use to get them back with purple dye in the ports and all through the water jacket areas.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
arent you still in warranty? @ 131k i believe the warranty book reads that the 7/100k mile engine warranty begins after teh commencment of the 3/36 so that would mean at 36k miles you now have a 100k mile warranty. i know this has been debated several times on here. doubt that helps but figured id throw it out there it worked for me, i had the dealership point it out on one of my company trucks that was in for service.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM

The 100K it just that, once you reach 100K on the clock your warranty is up unless you have an extra warranty that covers it for longer miles.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
The 100K it just that, once you reach 100K on the clock your warranty is up unless you have an extra warranty that covers it for longer miles.

Funny my injectors on my 05 were replaced under warranty at 122k and the dealership was the one who pointed out that line in the factory warranty description book out to me, i had purchased no extended warranties for any of the trucks. then i started seeing it pop up here on DTR so i dont know i used to share that belief that the 7/100 was just that but they pointed out and took care of my problem under it. im not complaining jsut offering it as a possible avenue. I still think the total warranty is only 100K, not 136K but some have tried and it may be debatable due to DC's wording in the warranty booklet. The dealership here seemed to believe it and i never heard another word about it. so i'll take my gift and run you may have your work cut out convincing them but check out this link for more info, fact you disassembled it may be an issue.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...-you-ride.html
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM

ddestrues,
You sir, are the man, no doubt about it. Page 8 of the cab and chassis warranty book states,
section c. When it begins (talking about the Cummins Diesel Engine Warranty)

"The Cummins Diesel Engine Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty, on either of the following Dates, whichever is earlier:
- the date your truck has been in service for more than 36 months; or
- the date you've put more than 36,000 miles on the odometer

That is from the warranty book.

ddestrues, I believe you have saved me about $3k. I'm going to pick the truck up in about an hour and believe me, I will pull the warranty book out and show it to the service writer.
Again, thank you. I owe you, at the very least, a cup of coffee.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Wow, that's super cool. Let us know how it turns out at the dealer.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM

WOW!! I never would have guessed that either! Now I wonder how many VP44's were replaced on the owners dime and should have been picked up by Cummins

Chris
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM

EB290 so how did it turn out???
Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Wow, that is a good find. Let us know how this turns out for you...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Posting in here so I don't forget to see how it turned out.

Hoping for the best!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 AM

The truck wasn't ready yesterday, will be picking the truck up today. I fully expect to be turned down on the warranty claim, but I am going to pursue it as it was done in the various posts on this board and also the ones on TDR. Might not work, but really, the way I read the warranty book, the Cummmins engine warranty does start after the basic warranty ends. It states that in the warranty book. We'll see, will probably take a while.

Quick Reply: Apparent failure of head gasket on 6.7