3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

another 6.7 problem? need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another 6.7 problem? need advice

Ok so I traded my 05 in sig on a 07.5 3500 6.7 slt auto 4x4. I absolutely loved this truck for the first 5k. I have not had 1 problem up until then. I had 5100 miles when I fueled up last monday. I pulled out of the gas station onto the highway and got up to 65 mph and hit a bump going over a bridge when it felt like both front tires went flat. I MEAN I WAS STRUGGLIN TO HOLD IT ON THE BRIDGE! I got it stopped and got out, looked around under the front end and nothing seemed to be wrong. I started it back up and took off again and it did not do it again until yesterday. I was heading down the interstate at 75mph haulin my UTV to a riding spot when I hit another bump and here we go again. This time it spilled my FRESH Dr. Pepper all over the truck, my tater tots went everywhere and a box of flooring staples fell off of my back seat and scattered everywhere. I slowed down and pulled off the road and once again it stopped as I stopped. My friend in front of me said that he looked back when I slowed down and he seen my front tires wabbling (sp?) back and forth. I continued on my way and now I have to slow WAYYYY down to hit all bumps. The front end feels EXTREMELY LOOSE and I have a stutter like vibration above 55mph.

ON TOP OF THAT. My fuel mileage has been steady dropping from about 15-16 empty to 7-9. While I was on the interstate yesterday only haulin my UTV ( 945lbs ) it was not getting above 10.1. ON THE INTERSTATE!!!! I also noticed that the engine or transmission was acting funny. (kinda luggy) Well I left my UTV and trailer at my parents house (where I stayed last night). Well I left there this morning and jumped back on the interstate, empty, and was getting 12.3 mpg almost all the way home until my truck lost all power for a split second and then boom started running fine again. I got off of the interstate and mpg jumped up to 13 then 14 then 15 where it settled at 15.7 by the time I got home. I am planning on going to the dealership, where my family (mom, dad, me and my wife) have spent well over 250,000 dollars on vehicles over the last 10 years, in the morning to try to get a solution to this problem.

To top things off I talked to the dealership last week to schedule an appt. and they told me that they do not supply a vehicle for me to drive while my truck is in the shop. This absolutely BLEW MY MIND!!! I spend 50k on a new truck and it has problems and I am just out of a vehicle. I own my own business where I HAVE TO HAVE MY TRUCK EVERYDAY in order to make money.

any advice from guys who have had problems is GREATLY appreciated. as well as any advice is appreciated...

sorry so long.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 PM

the wobbleing of the tires on a bump sounds like a steering stablizer i had that happen to me on a 99 dodge ram 1500 solid axle and 2 of my jeep cherokees both solid axles. you can look and see if there is fluid leaking from the steering stabilizer (damper as dodge calls it) as for the power thing i have no idea new motor new problems

Good Luck

Hopfully you have a good dealer!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM

I was told by my dealership that if my truck goes in for factory repairs that dodge pays for a rental, not a cheap little pos rental they actually pay above average. I hope this helps...
Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do a search on Death Wobble. That is what you had. It's been going on with the 4x4 trucks for years. You have a bad balljoint, tire, or another front end component.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Banned

thanks for the input i will post results from my trip. i plan on walkin in and talkin directly with the sales manager and hopefully even higher
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

finally got back from the dealership. after arguing back and forth for the last 2 and a half hours, the tech drove my truck and determined it was unsafe for me to drive and put me in a 3/4 ton 4x4 gas burner..... BLAHHHHH the tech said he did not think it was going into OD. and the front end problem is probably a steering dampener or a sway bar issue. AMAZINGLY enough it actually did the vibration thing while he was driving it. very subtle but it still did it. so now it is the hurry up and wait game.... i will keep yall posted.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Hey Man,
I Hear You About The Dealers. Why Should You Even Have To Argue With Them. The Place I Got Mine Sold Me There Service Package. Well, This Was A Big Mistake. On The Third Time In For Oil Change One Of There "off The Street" Tech's Backed My Truck Straight Back Into A Flatbed Pickup. The Rear Tail Gate Smashed In Like A Pop Can. I Almost Fainted I Was So Mad. This Was My First New Truck At Age 28 And The Hard Work Reward For Me Since I Also Have A Small Business.
The Dealer Replaced The Tailgate But Said They Would Not Take It To Line X For The Coating. I Had To Bring It In Myself. I Argued About How This Should Be Taken Care Of By Them. They Told Me That They Were Too Busy To Do It For A Few Days. I Argued But Got Noware.
All Said And Done The Service Manager Asked Me If I Would Vote Them A Five Star Rating When The Survey Came Out. I Looked At Him And Laughed. The Only Thing I Could Do Was Vote Them Poorly On There Service.
Sorry About Your New Truck And The Dealer.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Hard to read.Whats with all the CAPITAL letters?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by igotyourgoat
finally got back from the dealership. after arguing back and forth for the last 2 and a half hours, the tech drove my truck and determined it was unsafe for me to drive and put me in a 3/4 ton 4x4 gas burner..... BLAHHHHH the tech said he did not think it was going into OD. and the front end problem is probably a steering dampener or a sway bar issue. AMAZINGLY enough it actually did the vibration thing while he was driving it. very subtle but it still did it. so now it is the hurry up and wait game.... i will keep yall posted.
Since you have your own business you should be in the Business Link Program. They gave me a free 100K mile power train warranty, free car rental, and pushed to the front of the line for service. So far my dealership has honored 2 out of the 3 (sometimes I do have to wait my turn). This is a free service set up for folks like us that use our trucks for work. You do have to provide a tax ID# and I do not think all dealer are set up with this program but it has been very nice and the 100K warranty covers the power train and A/C unit as well.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gbuilders
Since you have your own business you should be in the Business Link Program. They gave me a free 100K mile power train warranty, free car rental, and pushed to the front of the line for service. So far my dealership has honored 2 out of the 3 (sometimes I do have to wait my turn). This is a free service set up for folks like us that use our trucks for work. You do have to provide a tax ID# and I do not think all dealer are set up with this program but it has been very nice and the 100K warranty covers the power train and A/C unit as well.

yea I have never heard of that. I will be sure to ask why I was not told about this when I purchased the truck.... thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM

I believe they have to be a five star dealer to give you the business link, that is what my dealer said to me anyways.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 PM

I think the truck may also need to be titled in the business name, not sure about that. I also have the 4 year/100K power train warranty for business owners.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 AM

wow i just had this same problem on my 07 with only 11k miles on it. coming across a bridge in ohio with the car trailer and i almost had to come to a complete stop and start all over. Then a motorist pulls up next to me and says he thought the wheel was going to come off the truck when he seen it happen!!!! Also had it happen once more on the way back home to iowa with the car on the trailer then. Looks like time to go talk to the dealer.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is getting scary. If it's not a CEL or clogged DPF or some other emissions related problem now we have wheels about to fall off!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kleinergti1
wow i just had this same problem on my 07 with only 11k miles on it. coming across a bridge in ohio with the car trailer and i almost had to come to a complete stop and start all over. Then a motorist pulls up next to me and says he thought the wheel was going to come off the truck when he seen it happen!!!! Also had it happen once more on the way back home to iowa with the car on the trailer then. Looks like time to go talk to the dealer.
yep thats it. I just got the message tonight that the truck is ready???? So let me get this straight: I call to set up a time with the dealer they tell me it is going to be at least a week before they can even look at it. AND that I cant get a loaner truck. I GO DOWN THERE raise a little hE^^ tell them how shotty it is that my family has spent so much money there and the fact that a 50,000 dollar truck has messed up under 6k miles and BOOM I get a loaner truck. AND I am at the top of the list.

They wanted me to come get it tonight. BUT I asked them what all that they did and he said they replaced the steering dampner, tie rod ends, "looked" into the fuel mileage problem as well as "looked" into the intermittent loss of power i reported and they COULD NOT duplicate it. SO apparently they DID NOT flash my ecu LIKE I REQUESTED, they DID NOT enable high idle LIKE I REQUESTED...... So tomorrow I will call them first thing in the morning and let them know I WILL NOT be taking delivery until the latest flash is done, high idle is ENABLED and I am HAPPY.... Its gonna be another interesting day tomorrow...

Quick Reply: another 6.7 problem? need advice