3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 vs. 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsnakebud
John
Luke can correct me as I have not driven the new c&c out of fear of falling in lust and I want to see the "new" pickups later this year but I have been told the 6.7 combined with the asin and I hope the 68rfe are so smooth and quit that it doesn't feel like it is quick but the speedo tells another story.
Fred

Well that is pretty much right. The 6.7 has such a flat torque curve, and the new variable geometry turbo has so little lag that the engine feels a lot different when comparing to a 5.9. The Aisin is smmmooooooooooooth! It is the best automatic transmission I have ever operated, period. To me they feel quick. I had a customer in here yesterday test drive one with a 6-speed manual and he currently has a 325hp 5.9 with the 6-speed manual, and he said he thought the 6.7 at 305hp ran better than his did! Now I have heard a couple guys on here saying the 305hp c&c version of the 6.7 doesn't have enough power, I think the guys who are saying that are probably running 5.9's with chips and other mods, and compared to that they may feel weak. I have used one or two of the new 6.7's to pull our 3-car trailer with and I was very impressed. If you are happy with a stock 5.9 the 6.7 is really gonna make you happy, especially with the auto transmissions, the Aisin is going to be the new benchmark in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Luke:

What Dodge dealer do you work at??

-------
John_P
Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 AM

I work for my family, we own a Dodge and Chevrolet dealership in east central Missouri. I am not going to say the name and location here as that would not be right as far as advertising is concerned.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by John_P
------------
Fred:

What is surprising to me is that Cummins goes to the 6.7 but their initial H.P./Torque ratings on these engines are not any higher than the 5.9 was??
I believe the H.P. will be initially "set" at 325, while Ford's new 6.4 PSD will be 350 and Chevy's 6.6 Duramax at 365 H.P. I have driven a new 07' Cab and Chassis and to be honest the power is not all that great. I do not feel that it is any better than my 06' was in stock form.

--------
John_P
----------------
Luke:

Yes, I was one of the ones you are referring to when you mentioned "I have heard of a couple of guys on here saying the 305 H.P. version of the 6.7 doesn't have enough power. I think the guys who are saying that are probably running 5.9's with chips and other mods, and compared to that they may feel weak."

FWIW, I made my comparison "stock-to-stock." But to be fair, the cab and chassis I drove did have the 6-speed manual transmission so maybe that is not fair to the new Aisin automatic. But, driving down the road at say 75 MPH the two trannies at that point should be pretty close with maybe the exception of the final drive ratio, manual vs automatic. At that comparison, I did not feel that the 6.7 was much "better" in power or performance vs the 5.9 engine.

Nothing against the 6.7 or anything, just my opinions and observations of the two trucks and engines. When these new 2007's come out and have the new Aisin in them I can tell you that we will definitely "line them up" and give you a report on which one of the trucks is faster!

--------
John_P
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

O.K. Luke, thanks for the info.

-------
John_P
Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Ok, am I understanding this correctly? The Aisin will only be available in the cab and chassis, and the 68 rfe will be available in the regular pickup?

I’m really leaning towards buying the 3500 dually, wait until I destroy the bed , then build or buy a flatbed for it. Really not to fond of giving up the 45-hp to buy a cab and chassis.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Pile Buck
I always heard there was a saying liars never figure and figures never lie or maybe that is backwards IF there is 45hp I think it's in the advertising not the rear wheels.
Fred
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

Are there any programmers or anything out for the 07's(i don;t know of any) ? It seems to me that with all the emission crap on the 6.7, it's gonna be hard to turn them up? Does anyone have any info on the performance side of the motor? I know there is about 3 or so sensors just in the exhaust that one would have to deal with....
Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Administrator

sligwille04:

Mark Chapple at "TST Products" (www.tstproducts.com) is most likely working on the new fueling boxes for the 07's.

--------
John_P
Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 AM

"most likely" huh??? tell us what you know John!!!!! LOL
Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 AM

Smile

bigsnakebud

that would be "figures don't lie but liars figure!"

Think about it
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Dusty:

You and I both know Mark is almost certainly working on a module for the trucks as we "hunt and peck" here! It may take awhile like it did for the 2006 engines, but he and his staff will figure it out!

-------
John_P
Old 01-20-2007, 01:14 AM

just thought you may have gotten a heads up from the staff at TST!!! LOL I'll be watching & waiting!! Dusty
Old 01-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Guys, all I am gonna say is BE CAREFULL! These trucks are more complex then they have ever been, and will be more expensive to fix then they have ever been. They are also going to be smarter then they have ever been as far as us dealers and DC being able to tell if somebody has been tampering with stuff.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Guys, all I am gonna say is BE CAREFULL! These trucks are more complex then they have ever been, and will be more expensive to fix then they have ever been. They are also going to be smarter then they have ever been as far as us dealers and DC being able to tell if somebody has been tampering with stuff.
Hi Luke, have you heard anything about the new 6.7 being finicky in the fuel department? Maybe not a problem in the greater Seattle area , but way out in farm country?

Also I was told by a salesman from Dave Smith Dodge in Kellogg Idaho, that the new 6.7 would only run on Bio-diesel, have you heard this? Seems, as the general consensus on these boards is this guy doesn’t have a clue!