3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 owners and DPF

Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 owners and DPF

Just a bit of info I came across. Thought I would share for those who don't know.

Operating Tips For The Diesel Particulate Filter On
Cummins 6.7-Liter Turbo Diesel.
Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickups equipped with the 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel offer more horsepower and torque than ever before. They’re also the first and only diesel pickups on the market to meet 2010 EPA emissions requirements. To achieve these unprecedented levels of cleanliness, the 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel incorporates a device known as a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust system.

What Is A DPF And How Does It Work?

The diesel particulate filter captures particulate matter that is a normal byproduct of the combustion process as it passes through the exhaust system.

As you run your Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel, sensors in the DPF measure the amount of particulate matter that is accumulating in the filter and send that data to the Electronic Control Module (ECM), the computer that controls the engine and aftertreatment.

Periodically the ECM will start a self-cleaning process called regeneration that raises temperatures in the DPF and oxidizes the particulate matter. This process is similar to the operation of a self-cleaning oven, releasing only harmless gases into the atmosphere.

Regeneration is virtually undetectable to the driver. Under normal driving conditions, no action is needed to start the process, and there is no impact on pulling power, acceleration or responsiveness of the engine.

What Do I Need To Do To Clean The DPF?

Under normal operating conditions, you don’t need to do anything. However, if you do a lot of in-city driving at lower speeds or extended idling, your engine may not be working hard enough for the self-cleaning process to take place (we’re talking about hours of idling, not just minutes). If this happens, particulate matter will accumulate within the filter. If it reaches an 80% level, you will see an alert in the information center of your truck’s overhead console. This is not dangerous, but it does tell you that the engine needs to be given a little more “exercise” which will correct the situation.

To start the self-cleaning process, all you have to do is drive your Dodge Ram at 50 mph or so for a short while. Typically, about 45 minutes is all it takes for the system to clean itself, and a message in the overhead console will tell you when the self-cleaning is completed.

Do I Need To Take Action Immediately?

It takes a number of days to go from 80% to entirely filling up the DPF, and it won’t affect performance of the engine or the DPF, so it’s not something that has to be done immediately.

However, if the DPF exceeds 99% of capacity before a regeneration takes place, you could cause permanent damage to the filter. Again, an alert in your truck’s information center will appear as you reach this threshold. Simultaneously, power and torque will be reduced so that you can drive your vehicle to an authorized Dodge dealer for service without causing irreparable harm to the filter. However, if you choose to ignore these warning signals and continue to drive for an extended period of time, the filter will be ruined and need to be replaced in order to restore full power and torque to your truck.

A Cleaner Tomorrow Starts Today.

Driving a Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel means you are doing something good for the environment by reducing emissions. Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you for years to come.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Would be really nice to have a 'on demand regen' for these engines.

MikeyB
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
mijpa:

Thanks for posting that for all the 6.7 Owners/Members!

--------
John_P
Old 04-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mijpa,

You must have gotten the Cummins newsletter today too!

I was gonna post the link, but you beat me to it.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by ssandlin
mijpa,

You must have gotten the Cummins newsletter today too!

I was gonna post the link, but you beat me to it.
Would assume some don't no anything aboutthe newsletter.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 PM

So what they are telling you is that you have to drive up and down the highway after driving in the city. Burning more fuel at $4.50 to have a cleaner running truck. I wonder if you could sit in the traffic jam and bake your tires off. Tell the officer behind you that you needed to do that so your truck wouldn't break down in the traffic jam yet creating a even bigger traffic jam. It might work? Sorry I won't hijack the thread any longer.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=hertz;2054206]So what they are telling you is that you have to drive up and down the highway after driving in the city. Burning more fuel at $4.50 to have a cleaner running truck. I wonder if you could sit in the traffic jam and bake your tires off. Tell the officer behind you that you needed to do that so your truck wouldn't break down in the traffic jam yet creating a even bigger traffic jam. It might work? Sorry I won't hijack the thread any longer.[/QUOTe

You said exactly what I felt!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an idea. If you don't like the truck or the engine, don't buy it. After all, the 12v and 24v engines will last for a last a half-million miles, right?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Administrator
I have an idea. If you don't like the truck or the engine, don't buy it. After all, the 12v and 24v engines will last for a last a half-million miles, right?
What a briliant idea. Don't buy it if you don't like it.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Administrator
I was thinking ths same exact thing,so many ppl are buying them,instead of the leftover 5.9s or used,and complaining when they knew all along that all the bugs werent worked out yet!!! Then they want to remove the DPF
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 AM

I really don't think there is enough 5.9 around to meet the demand for trucks
Old 04-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get a DPF removal kit and everything will be fine then.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 AM

"I have an idea. If you don't like the truck or the engine, don't buy it."

I like the truck and I like the engine - However to expect more from Dodge and Cummins is not unreasonable. Last year when I bought my truck these problems were not widely known.

Like many others I bought my truck to pull a RV (13k fifth wheel). Not an unreasonable choice for the intended use.
Last summer we went to a large national park and unhooked the trailer. After spending a few days driving to the various parts of the park, being in stop and go traffic due to animals in the road, I began to get cels. That is not a good feeling when you are very far from home and several hours from even a small dealership.

There is no way I could have gone 50 mph for 45 minutes. Think about it, an extra 45 minutes of non productive driving just adds to our nations many problems - like crowded highways, short fuel supplies, consuming more tires, adding more pollution etc etc.

I paid over 45k for the truck and another 5 or 6k for accessories in order to not have problems.

I like the idea of having a way to force the regen, but I wonder what other problems that could create.

"Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you for years to come." I hope so!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM

I dunno what the even shot is. our new International trucks at work have a " park regeneration" Button on them . So you set them there hit the button 10-15 min later its ready do go. But they DONT do it driving? Ours only do it driving. wonder why they dont combine them?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofdodge7131
I dunno what the even shot is. our new International trucks at work have a " park regeneration" Button on them . So you set them there hit the button 10-15 min later its ready do go. But they DONT do it driving? Ours only do it driving. wonder why they dont combine them?
My thought is that having that kind of temperature coming out the tailpipe on a stationary pickup truck would be a fire/injury hazard. On a heavy truck, where the heat could harmlessly exit through a smokestack way up in the air, it is much safer.
Just a thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 owners and DPF