3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If manual transmissions are dropped it will be because of emissions reasons or supplier/warranty issues. I read a year or two ago in Car & Driver that real manual transmissions are on their way out because they can't be "controlled" like an automatic, to ensure proper emissions compliance. That's why those slick new sequential manuals will end up being the new norm, since they have an "automatic" mode.

The more I read about how well the G56 shifts, the more eager I am to get my truck. I pick it up next Sunday in Dallas. Can't wait!!

You're right about the complainers, though. I remember back when I was actually on TDR, right after getting my 2003 (as a leftover with a hefty rebate), I was reading about how people were freaking out about the pending change in 2004.5, fearing the addition of EGR and stuff, so people were scrambling to get their orders in and ensure that they didn't get it.

Then what happens? No EGR shows up... instead, some really nice engine revisions, and a big increase in power and torque. I thought it was pretty darn funny.

Rob
Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
You won't like the fuel mileage of the ne 6.4L. My wife is averaging about 11.1 in hers.

No arms rests on the seats, rides like a cob!

It runs good and feels stronger than our 6.7L but, from a 50mph punch the Dodge gets about 1.5 truck lengths on it.

Don't get me wrong, they are sexy looking and so is the interior but........I think with the MegaCab Ford is in deep.......

Oh and the new tranny in the 6.7L appears to be WAY better than the torqueshift!
Forgot to add that whole flamethrower thing huh? "Roast a turkey in three minutes with the all new $55,000 ford flame cooker. It won't go down the road, but it will cook your food while you wait for the tow truck!"

This message is not inteded to be taken seriously. Everybody knows not to buy fords...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Hey LUKE If I change my clutch in the G56 tranny is there anyway to crank the power back up in the 6.7?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by RobG

The more I read about how well the G56 shifts, the more eager I am to get my truck. I pick it up next Sunday in Dallas. Can't wait!!

Rob

You're going to like how it shifts...!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
The derating of the new 6.7 when hooked to the G56 is to save the clutch, not the transmission. Why should they have to design something to hold a "minumum of 860 lb-ft of torque"? We do not need that much power in a truck of this size. You drove one two years ago and so you can pass judgement that G56's are all junk? The G56 is far and away a better transmission than any of those growling old New Venture transmissions, all we do is work on those things.

I swear, all Dodge guys on the internet are nothing but a bunch of complainers. The trucks we are selling now are 10 times the truck we sold in the 90's and all everbody does is complain. Everytime we make an improvement it is not good enough, or we should have stuck with the old technology, all though it's not as bad over here as on TDR, I can't even stand to read over there for all the complaining.
Luke, you are only partially right i.e. the complainers. Notice how they don't own what they complain about?????? You see Luke, all the complainers are out of work engineers, that if they had jobs would build better trucks. We wouldn't need 3500's because all the 2500's would come standard with the
C15 Cat with 6 turbos, 18 speed double overdrive, front and rear lockers and still get 50 mpg and have a million mile warranty, regardless of what mods they do.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by duckbill
Luke, you are only partially right i.e. the complainers. Notice how they don't own what they complain about?????? You see Luke, all the complainers are out of work engineers, that if they had jobs would build better trucks. We wouldn't need 3500's because all the 2500's would come standard with the
C15 Cat with 6 turbos, 18 speed double overdrive, front and rear lockers and still get 50 mpg and have a million mile warranty, regardless of what mods they do.

Why stop at the C15?? Go for the 3612 quad turbo that baby makes over 1,000 hp per hole and has 12 holes to do it in!! or the 3520 that has 20 cylinders to get the job done!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 AM

What!?!?!?!?!? As if anything made by Caterpillar is worth putting under a hood. I despise Caterpillar engines. They get crappy fuel mileage, and the parts are way too expensive.
But at any rate, this topic is about transmissions. WAIT!! No it's not!! Awww, to hell with it. I've forgotten what this topic was supposed to be about!!

I would seriously like to have an Eaton road ranger 9 over in one of these, but if they did, either the cab would be about a foot higher, or there wouldn't be a floorboard.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A friend of mine has the 6.7 Aisins combo it lugs down to about 1100RPMS then downshifts and takes off like a rocket not good pulling a 19000# backhoe he is extremely unhappy I too am a fan of shifting it eliminates a few electronic variables.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys my dad bought a third gen a while ago and he knows the owner of the cummins dragster and the 6.7 engine is in his new dragster and it has a ton of stuff done to it. i was wondering if you guys know if you canbuy any of this stuff yet. ats twin turbos,ported and poished head, special camshaft and valve springs, oringed head with copper head gasket, stock pistons rods,block,crank, custom duel injection pumps, and suposibly edge,superchips and racepak are keeping all this suff under wraps, there isnt much more on it but i heard it runs really good and spins some pretty serious rpms. just thought i would give you 6.7 guys a heads up since i heard nothing can be done to these trucks but it seems to have been proven wrong.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
A friend of mine has the 6.7 Aisins combo it lugs down to about 1100RPMS then downshifts and takes off like a rocket not good pulling a 19000# backhoe he is extremely unhappy I too am a fan of shifting it eliminates a few electronic variables.
I'm curious, on the new trucks can we not downshift manually? Either by just pulling the lever down or putting it into tow/haul mode, or don't the new ones have the push button up or down shift?

I always like to say, "you drive the truck, don't let the truck drive you." This goes for manuals and autos. Learn the characteristics of your truck and learn how to make it perform how you want it to.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Sounds like he is running in drive and not tow/haul or overdrive off. If he is pulling a 19k backhoe plus the weight of the trailer, (probably 65 - 7500 lbs) to be honest, he is way overloaded. At the least, he should never run unless it is in the tow/haul mode. Sure hope he has good brakes.

Originally Posted by Crimedog

I always like to say, "you drive the truck, don't let the truck drive you." This goes for manuals and autos. Learn the characteristics of your truck and learn how to make it perform how you want it to.
What he said, learn what the truck will do and learn the best way to do it.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:33 AM

Just a couple of notes,, Ford dosent own cummins. They did at one time, but sold off there shares years ago. And they have never owned Allison, allison has been a gm product from its inception. But allison (the company) is on the block, so it is a guess as to where it will go.

The buzz on the street is that Ford is going to develop its own engine for possibly 2008 (The calendar year) and dispose of the navistar connection.

The 6.7 is the real deal, works real nice, but as of yet there isnt any upgrades available, this is due to all the emmisions that are on the unit.

As for the auto, standard debate,,, I dont think that there is a winner,, I personally wouldnt drive a standard, I pay 50 -60 k for a truck to have creature comforts, I also tow quite heavy, but that isnt for everyone, some people like to pull on that shifter all the time, and have to hold that clutch in at the lights,, just not me

kevin
Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 PM

What's funny is that Ford is rushing another brand new motor to market, this time without the help of an experienced diesel engineering company (Navistar). So it'll still have problems when it comes out, especially having never been thoroughly tested.

Still, it blows my mind how the last two motors from Navistar can have such problems... unless it's Ford-required changes/additions that are screwing things up.

It also makes it especially sweet that the new 6.7L from Cummins is just as solid as the 5.9 before it.

Rob
Old 04-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke S
I swear, all Dodge guys on the internet are nothing but a bunch of complainers. The trucks we are selling now are 10 times the truck we sold in the 90's and all everbody does is complain. Everytime we make an improvement it is not good enough, or we should have stuck with the old technology, all though it's not as bad over here as on TDR, I can't even stand to read over there for all the complaining.

....they are, and it's has gotten just as bad here. I've all but quit posting although I do drop by to read pm's now and then. It used to be alot more "user friendly" here when people were simply looking for technical advice and left the crying and complaining from reaching their typing fingers.

I went to a Cummins corporate training class last year and those techs asked how I could stand to work on those pickups?? They really didn't like to see them come in there shops mostly due to the owners.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
Just a couple of notes,, Ford dosent own cummins. They did at one time, but sold off there shares years ago. And they have never owned Allison, allison has been a gm product from its inception. But allison (the company) is on the block, so it is a guess as to where it will go.

The buzz on the street is that Ford is going to develop its own engine for possibly 2008 (The calendar year) and dispose of the navistar connection.

The 6.7 is the real deal, works real nice, but as of yet there isnt any upgrades available, this is due to all the emmisions that are on the unit.

As for the auto, standard debate,,, I dont think that there is a winner,, I personally wouldnt drive a standard, I pay 50 -60 k for a truck to have creature comforts, I also tow quite heavy, but that isnt for everyone, some people like to pull on that shifter all the time, and have to hold that clutch in at the lights,, just not me

kevin
We know Ford doesn't own cummins! I said that as a joke!

Quick Reply: 6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.